Author Topic: Setting Convergence in Hanger  (Read 460 times)

Offline 1ijac

• Silver Member
Setting Convergence in Hanger
« on: September 17, 2016, 03:25:46 PM »
     I would like to see when you are trying to set convergence in the hanger, you could actually move the target in and out and have it at the right pitch with how the individual plane sits in the hanger so the gunsight lines up with the center of the target.  Then have the ability to fire rounds at the target to check for spread and accuracy at whatever you set the convergence at and the distance of the target.  I know you can do it on the runway using the .target command and setting the distance, direction and pitch or in the air using the .target command setting distance and direction.  I think if this is possible, it could make adjusting and understanding where your gun rounds are actually going a little easier for the player.

1i
"One-Eye"

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
Re: Setting Convergence in Hanger
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2016, 04:11:47 PM »
You really need to bench stand your plane at a pitch corresponding to the expected combat speed at alt. Do a search for WW2 fighters and gun harmonizing.

The closest you can come to that in this game is to taxi your fighter off the end of a runway that has a sloping drop off. Then very carefully ease your main gear over the edge while the target is set to about 3yards to just allow you spinner to poke through. Then just keep easing the plane forward while in F3 mode so you can watch the spinner come to the center of the red horizontal line. Kill the engine to park there and move the target out to 100, 200, 300, 400 and see what your patterns are.

All the different planes we have need three slight variances on slope angle or the radiator will hit the ground, landing gear doors or your tail wheel will pop over the edge before your nose eases down low enough.

I placed those three slopes off the end of a runway on my offline gunnery training terrain that I will release next week. It is a lot of work inching your main gear over and down the slopes though. You could always spawn on the runway, pull up the target in line with your runway and add 7-14 positive pitch to (.target range heading pitch) so you can see the target. Then shoot at different ranges and look at the relationship of the rounds to your gunsight center.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline 1ijac

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2016, 05:01:29 PM »
  I believe you can do the same thing by upping say the p38L and:

1.  Up on runway headed east.

2.  Bring up target at 300 yds. by typing:  .target 300 90 6.6   (space between target, 300, 90 and 6.6)

**   300 is the distance from target, 90 is the degrees on compass for due east, and 6.6 is the degrees of pitch of the target(different for individual planes that sit differently on their landing gear).  the pitch # is 6.6 for p38L and somewhere around 12 or so for the f4u1a.

Sorry bustr, didn't catch the end of your post until after I 1st posted.  What I was wishing for was that all the different target pitches for individual planes adjust automatically, a movable target be available in the hanger and your ability to fire rounds at the target when you set the convergence.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2016, 05:09:03 PM by 1ijac »
"One-Eye"

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2016, 06:00:03 PM »
Good luck, I asked over the years for a bench stand like planes were setup on in WW2 and everything else that goes with it. In the end, find a slope off the end of a runway and learn how to inch the main gear over.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline 1ijac

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2016, 02:16:43 AM »
Bustr,

Would it help you if I were to check each plane as it sits on the runway and record the correct pitch to have sight dead center of the target?  Then you could list them in the MOTD (message of the day) on the clipboard of your practice arena for reference.  Just a thought and willing to help you out if needed.  What you are doing with the sights and arena takes a lot of time and work for the good of the community.  Just let me know if interested.  Looking forward to seeing your finished practice arena and thanks for all of your efforts.

1i
"One-Eye"

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2016, 03:06:14 PM »
Don't worry about it, most people are going to use the 7k airstart for fighters to chase the drones and never look back. Very few players auto level their plane due north, get to about 300 and pull up the target. Even when I included WW2 gunnery manuals from three countries in my historic gunsight pack, very few read them. Many just load up their dot O death and race around going piu, piu, piu. So much for the AHII default gunsights I made for the game.

You are over thinking this.......
bustr - POTW 1st Wing