Author Topic: Planes flipping during agressive defensive moves  (Read 41318 times)

Offline Randall172

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
Re: Planes flipping during agressive defensive moves
« Reply #315 on: October 01, 2016, 02:40:38 PM »
this don't happen in warthunder in sim battles.

buttery smooth

Offline JOACH1M

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #316 on: October 01, 2016, 02:51:01 PM »
If this is not a game issue, how much will a poor connection influence this erratic behavior being reported?
i have found just holding the gun trigger down the whole time eliminates the issue described. Adapt and overcome people.
FEW ~ BK's ~ AoM
Focke Wulf Me / Last Of The GOATS 🐐
ToC 2013 & 2017 Champ
R.I.P My Brothers <3

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #317 on: October 01, 2016, 02:54:51 PM »
Joachim,

The game can have a bug which creates erratic behaviors of a function. Or external events can influence an erratic behavior to a game function. Yes I adapt and shoot down the erratically behaving con. My question was an interest into functions, not how well a gamer can overcome something.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline RufusLeaking

• Silver Member
« Reply #318 on: October 01, 2016, 08:15:52 PM »
This is very very incorrect.

Not a matter of terminology. Regardless of weight , light plane or heavy plane, they will stall at the exact same AOA.

HiTech

D'oh. I am very very incorrect.

I was going through my experiences with AOA. Both the T-38 and the KC-135 had AOA gauges. The T-38 also had an simple indicator on the glare shield. In both aircraft, the approach speeds were recalculated on every pattern based on aircraft weight. On both aircraft, "in the green" was at .6 AOA.

Then the light bulb came on over my head.

As an example stall speed in pilot manuals are normally listed normally listed in IAS. This is because it is most useful to the pilot to know because he can simply look at his air speed indicator and know the number where the plane where stall.

It was the airspeed that changed with weight, not the AOA. The T-38 has a symmetrical supersonic airfoil. The KC-135 had a conventional camber airfoil. Again, both had the same AOA target for approach and landing.

So, mark the date. On this first day of October in the year 2016, I was very, very incorrect.  :headscratch:

One unanswered question, why is the scale of AOA on the gauges from 0 to 1.0? It appears to be a ratio. Intuition tells me that the raw AOA for stall should vary with airfoil profile; but, as it has been seen, I could be wrong.

GameID: RufLeak
Claim Jumpers

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #319 on: October 01, 2016, 09:59:25 PM »
From what I've read the AOA indexer doesn't show the degrees of angle from the mean chord line but it correlates to it. From your description it was indexed to show you the same value for the correct AOA for each aircraft in the landing configuration. The actual AOA for each aircraft would likely be different as well as the critical AOA. I don't know if yours showed the range of usable AOA or was just used for landing.

Offline RufusLeaking

• Silver Member
« Reply #320 on: October 02, 2016, 10:15:45 AM »
... The actual AOA for each aircraft would likely be different as well as the critical AOA. I don't know if yours showed the range of usable AOA or was just used for landing.

Here is a general diagram of what I recall:

The needle would be horizontal to the right when on speed.

There was one on each side of the engine instruments (above altimeter on the left side.) They show to be lacking color in this image of the old -135 instrument panel:

The T-38A had something similar to this on the top of the glare shield:

I couldn't find the actual gauge on a T-38A instrument panel. My old man's mind might be failing.

Anyways, it is a good discussion of flight parameters, despite being a thread hijack.  :salute
Claim Jumpers

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #321 on: October 02, 2016, 11:48:00 AM »
What was the normal short final AOA on the gauge?

HiTech

Offline RufusLeaking

• Silver Member
« Reply #322 on: October 02, 2016, 12:11:29 PM »
What was the normal short final AOA on the gauge?

HiTech

I am unfamiliar with "Vref." This is close to what was on the plane, but not exact.
Claim Jumpers

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #323 on: October 02, 2016, 12:12:45 PM »

I am unfamiliar with "Vref." This is close to what was on the plane, but not exact.

Vref is landing reference speed.

Nice cockpit, got a clue about "rufusleaking" now.  :D
« Last Edit: October 02, 2016, 12:15:52 PM by FLS »

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #324 on: October 02, 2016, 12:37:42 PM »
You can see a similar gauge in the updated cockpit.

Offline SFRT - Frenchy

• Platinum Member
      • http://home.CFL.rr.com/rauns/menu.htm
« Reply #325 on: October 02, 2016, 01:01:29 PM »
AOA made the airspeed indicator the most worthless instrument in my cockpit. It has been a few 1000 hours since I looked at my airspeed indicator except to creep as close as I can from the barber pole in the descent.  :lol

Back on topic, Hitech comes across to me as the typical book worm in the Engineering sense. Someone reports something, he investigates it and says "Nope, my formulas and numbers are correct." ... and rolls his eyes ... and we all roll our eyes in return. Same when he said the 50s strength did not change when AHIII initially rolled in while everyone was complaining/praising about how strong the 50s were, then a few patch later 'poof' back to 'AH2 normal'. I had a similar hard time with my management team brandishing aircraft performance charts till one of them jumpseated for business and we barely cleared the trees.

These issues cannot be identified with 1 and 0s, they need to be experienced. These threads will be endless till Hitech has the free time to actually fly his own game as much as we do : a few hours in the evenings like us. He is not operating in the same world as us.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2016, 01:09:05 PM by SFRT - Frenchy »
Dat jugs bro.

Terror flieger since 1941.
------------------------

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #326 on: October 02, 2016, 01:16:15 PM »
AOA made the airspeed indicator the most worthless instrument in my cockpit. It has been a few 1000 hours since I looked at my airspeed indicator except to creep as close as I can from the barber pole in the descent.  :lol

Back on topic, Hitech comes across to me as the typical book worm in the Engineering sense. Someone reports something, he investigates it and says "Nope, my formulas and numbers are correct." ... and rolls his eyes ... and we all roll our eyes in return. Same when he said the 50s strength did not change when AHIII initially rolled in while everyone was complaining/praising about how strong the 50s were, then a few patch later 'poof' back to 'AH2 normal'. I had a similar hard time with my management team brandishing aircraft performance charts till one of them jumpseated for business and we barely cleared the trees.

These issues cannot be identified with 1 and 0s, they need to be experienced. These threads will be endless till Hitech has the free time to actually fly his own game as much as we do : a few hours in the evenings like us. He is not operating in the same world as us.

If you flew beta you would have seen him quite often.

He is also a pilot in his own right in real life with some experience in WWII aircraft.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #327 on: October 02, 2016, 01:25:56 PM »
Frenchy can see Hitech rolling his eyes through his shades.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #328 on: October 02, 2016, 01:27:04 PM »
Frenchy can see Hitech rolling his eyes through his shades.

:rolleyes:    :D
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline RufusLeaking

• Silver Member
« Reply #329 on: October 02, 2016, 01:39:30 PM »
You can see a similar gauge in the updated cockpit.

Kids these days need that new fangled glass.

Different flap settings, and the landing gear had over speed limits. Definitely had to keep an eye on airspeed.

Coding is a different skill set, for sure. But, Shuffler is right about HiTech's flying experience. I credit that with the relative accuracy of the flight combat game.
Claim Jumpers