Author Topic: FMOD users Q&A thread  (Read 4776 times)

Offline 8thJinx

• Silver Member
FMOD users Q&A thread
« on: September 23, 2016, 07:33:48 PM »
Using the HTCEvents.fspro as the skeleton for an event sound pack file is intuitive.  So is the screen arrangement.

I have a question.  How do I import a sound file and get it into the track for that event.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 07:35:53 PM by 8thJinx »

B-24H Liberator SN 294837-T, "The Jinx", 848th BS, 490th BG, 8th AF, RAF Station Eye, delivered 1943.  Piloted by Lt. Thomas Keyes, named by by his crew, and adorned with bad luck symbols, the aircraft survived the entire war.

Offline 8thJinx

• Silver Member
Re: FMOD users Q&A thread
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2016, 07:39:23 PM »
AHHHHHH! 

I just discovered the assets window.  I just got a chill down my spine.  I may be wrong, but as long as you have the actual .wav files for the sound or event, this FMOD business is going to be pretty straightforward.

B-24H Liberator SN 294837-T, "The Jinx", 848th BS, 490th BG, 8th AF, RAF Station Eye, delivered 1943.  Piloted by Lt. Thomas Keyes, named by by his crew, and adorned with bad luck symbols, the aircraft survived the entire war.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2016, 07:51:13 PM »
Yes, and no. It is completely straightforward for putting simple sounds in, like the warnings, alerts, and so on.

Have a look at engines. I think it's the best part, but it does have a balance to it and you need to have all your ducks in order. Especially, when it comes to external sounds. Of course, you could just throw in the old AH2 sounds, but it won't be anywhere near would could be accomplished.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline 8thJinx

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2016, 08:00:08 PM »
Thanks for responding.  And yes, you do need your ducks in order.  I just tried to build a bank to test a sound, but I used the entire HTCEvents.fspro skeleton.  I only wanted to test my custom 20 mm burst.  I went to build, and got an error about all of the unassigned assets in the file!

I suppose I could rename a new HTCEvents file, delete all the events except for the 20 mm burst, and it would work, right?

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2016, 08:05:05 PM »
Yes, but it is easier to just start over, use the copy and paste function to move over a single event, and then assign an asset. Then you have to assign it to a bank before you build (CustomEvents in that case).
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2016, 08:07:54 PM »
In this thread Hitech discusses how to do what I just suggested.

Offline 8thJinx

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2016, 08:19:07 PM »
I think I get it now.  You're better off importing all your known wav files into Assets, then creating the event folders in the manner of the HTCEvents file skeleton.

I haven't got to engines yet.  I'm just trying to test how this works.

If I build just a single event (20 mm burst), will the BANK file wipe out the resident sounds that were in the game file, or just supersede the 20 mm burst sound and leave the rest alone?

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2016, 08:26:22 PM »
Any sounds you add will do nothing until assigned to banks, so you are better off not importing files until you know you have an assignment for them. If you have the preferences set to the Aces High custom sounds folder (C:\Hitech Creations\Aces High\Custom Sounds\) then once you build the sounds they will replace and sounds in the default pack, but will not affect sounds you have not assigned.

I was working on changing the cadence on this myself, but I may backup and retry with a standard rate of fire, and add polyphony to get a varying cadence. I think you can do that without fear of breaking things.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2016, 08:28:55 PM »
By the way, that image I just posted includes 30cal sounds that are probably not needed by the M4. I was testing to see which folder would be used. What it does show is the proper folder structure, which is something the default pack doesn't inform you about since they only sent what they are currently using (which for the most part is defaults by sharing the same gun sounds for every airplane or vehicle).

Offline 8thJinx

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2016, 08:45:19 PM »
I just did everything, and the BANK file showed up where it was supposed, but no dice.  The custom 20 mm sound didn't play, just the one that's baked into the game.

I used the event architecture from the HTCEvents.fspro file, and kept the naming convention for the event.  Only thing I didn't do was maintain the Asset name from the original HTCEvents.fspro file.  But does that really matter?  I'll find out in a minute.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 08:48:09 PM by 8thJinx »

Offline Waffle

• HTC Staff Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Inc. Aces High
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2016, 08:50:33 PM »
If I get some time next week, I'll try to get some more info out to you guys regarding the fmod sound structure and what we were, and are trying to accomplish. There are still parts that need polishing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2016, 08:52:10 PM »
No, the name of the sound doesn't matter.

Once you have dragged the asset into the ReferencedEvents\guns\20mmburst Timeline you will have to right click the 20mmburst icon and then assign it to the CustomEvents bank. Then you can build and it should play.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2016, 08:52:44 PM »
If I get some time next week, I'll try to get some more info out to you guys regarding the fmod sound structure and what we were, and are trying to accomplish. There are still parts that need polishing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Thanks, Waffle.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2016, 10:58:18 PM »
I can confirm that adding a randomization to the burst samples only makes sense with a sample that is at a standard interval.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2016, 07:32:04 AM »
I want to make a logic track for the 30mm, but it looks like there is no reference for it? As a single sample file it doesn't work very well.