Author Topic: FMOD users Q&A thread  (Read 4783 times)

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
Re: FMOD users Q&A thread
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2016, 02:05:41 PM »
I want to make a logic track for the 30mm, but it looks like there is no reference for it? As a single sample file it doesn't work very well.

Never mind, I got this sorted out. I still need to read up on how the logic tracks are working.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline 8thJinx

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2016, 02:45:15 PM »
Anyone have the wav file for a panther engine? 

B-24H Liberator SN 294837-T, "The Jinx", 848th BS, 490th BG, 8th AF, RAF Station Eye, delivered 1943.  Piloted by Lt. Thomas Keyes, named by by his crew, and adorned with bad luck symbols, the aircraft survived the entire war.

Offline 8thJinx

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2016, 02:54:20 PM »
Here's where I'm at.  Discrete sound events (20 mm burst, etc) are easy to get made with FMOD.  As far as engine sounds, with gear shifting and what not, I have no idea how to change a sound, and the HTCEvents file does not show a way or have a template of how to do one.  So I'm stuck.  I can make the gun sounds I want, but I have no clue as to how to replicate the engine sounds I had in AHII with FMOD.

B-24H Liberator SN 294837-T, "The Jinx", 848th BS, 490th BG, 8th AF, RAF Station Eye, delivered 1943.  Piloted by Lt. Thomas Keyes, named by by his crew, and adorned with bad luck symbols, the aircraft survived the entire war.

Offline 8thJinx

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2016, 03:02:22 PM »
Wait, now I see the examples up in the Default folder.  Crisis averted.

So here's where I'm really at.  In order to get the sounds that I had for each vehicle in AH2, I'm going to need to run my Corel Video Studio Pro, record the individual sound from the AH2 game (offline area), convert it to a wav file, and import it into the asset file in FMOD.  Once I get the asset sounds made, I'll use the template structure found in the HTCEvents file and start creating the folders for each vehicle or plane.  That's a lot of work, but at least it's doable now that I'm on the right track.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2016, 03:03:55 PM by 8thJinx »

Offline 8thJinx

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2016, 03:05:18 PM »
One other bright spot, I think I can dampen down the volume of aircraft engines (external) using FMOD. 

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2016, 03:11:37 PM »
You're using someone else's sounds? Not cool.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline 8thJinx

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2016, 06:28:09 PM »
I don't have access to a Panther G or a 20 mm Hispano, so, yes I am rolling the AH2 sounds into AH3.

In all seriousness, how else are you supposed to get the sounds you want into AH3.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2016, 06:55:50 PM »
If you can, hunt down the original creator of the AH2 sound pac you have borrowed from and contact them. If they are long and gone, list all the sounds you have created in FMOD and formally give credit to the original sound pac creators for the sounds you borrowed in the release notes.

Until I created my own NAVY MK8 gunsights from original color photos, I always gave credit to the player who's MK8 I borrowed for my original AH2 Historic Gunsight Pac in the release notes.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline 8thJinx

• Silver Member
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2016, 07:34:12 PM »
Ok, will do.  I think they were a mix of the sounds baked into AH2, Ranger's, and one other that I can think of.  But I'm pretty sure I can nail down the sources and credit them.

Offline 8thJinx

• Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2016, 09:24:45 PM »
I'm dead in the water.  The sounds work in FMOD, but even though the bank files show up where they are supposed to, the new sounds are not played in the game.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2016, 09:53:29 PM »
Did you assign the sound to the proper bank? Like so:

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2016, 10:17:47 PM »
Try this!

If you click on the sound file that you are using for an effect, then the control for that sample will appear at the bottom of the window. Then you can right-click the knob and add some variation to the volume and pitch of the sound.

So, as with the M4 the shell casing bouncing out of the ejector will sound slightly different each shot. It is a little bugged, or I have not learned how to prevent a little bit of the front part of the sound playing momentarily sometimes (you'll see what I mean), and this should be limited to only certain sounds. It wouldn't make sense for looping engines for instance.

Offline 8thJinx

• Silver Member
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2016, 05:08:20 AM »
Did you assign the sound to the proper bank? Like so:

Although I do assign each one to a bank, my only bank file name options are CustomDefault, Master Bank, and New Bank.  I select CustomDefault.

One question: if I want the 20 mm sound to show up when I pull the trigger in a N1K2, C-Hog or a Spit, for example, do I need to set up folders for the plane, or do I merely change the sound file under the ReferencedEvents/Guns/20mmburst event?  Reason I ask is I see you have M4A375/Weapons/tankgun/external and internal.  How did you figure out that architecture? I didn't see that in the HTCEvents.fspro file anywhere.

Just to give a clear picture of what I'm working with, here's a screen shot:

Offline 8thJinx

• Silver Member
« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2016, 05:11:56 AM »
Try this!

If you click on the sound file that you are using for an effect, then the control for that sample will appear at the bottom of the window. Then you can right-click the knob and add some variation to the volume and pitch of the sound.

So, as with the M4 the shell casing bouncing out of the ejector will sound slightly different each shot. It is a little bugged, or I have not learned how to prevent a little bit of the front part of the sound playing momentarily sometimes (you'll see what I mean), and this should be limited to only certain sounds. It wouldn't make sense for looping engines for instance.

This is a very cool feature, and the first time I tried it I didn't know what was going on until I saw the tutorial video from Fmod.  This software has so many ways of playing with the sound and effects it's almost scary.  This reminds me very much of Corel Video Studio Pro, but with sound instead of video tracks.

Offline 8thJinx

• Silver Member
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2016, 05:21:57 AM »
Chalenge, can you point me to a reference that explains the whole "To Tail", "Start", "To Start" information in the top ribbon?  Corel Video Studio Pro has something analogous, so I know that it's describing the event sequences, but if I copy over the folder from HTCEvents, it's got all of these references in the ribbon, and the blue "Sound" track in the Audio 1 track, which is empty (no sound).  So I totally get that I'm supposed to bring in a wav asset to the track, but where do I put it?  I've been adding a second track and, by trial and error, dropping the wav asset in the spot where it will play.  Like so:

Put the wav asset anywhere else, and it either won't play back, or only part of it plays.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 05:24:36 AM by 8thJinx »