Author Topic: View A/C beyond D400 or so  (Read 2285 times)

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
Re: View A/C beyond D400 or so
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2016, 11:16:32 PM »
AH3 is not going to look like AH2 because it's a different graphics engine. it seems that one of the differences is the look of distant aircraft. Another change is the 80 degree FOV which makes distant aircraft easier to see.

Offline Sloehand

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2016, 12:19:30 AM »
AH3 is not going to look like AH2 because it's a different graphics engine. it seems that one of the differences is the look of distant aircraft. Another change is the 80 degree FOV which makes distant aircraft easier to see.
All of which may be the case, and seem reasonable, except in the long run people do wish to be able to see enemy aircraft to shoot at them.  Regardless of the reason, it is a negative if that parameter is diminished.  I'm simply stating the obvious you can't shoot what you can quickly identify and visually see at a reasonable range.  What is reasonable for range will vary person to person, of course.  Some may adapt to a low parameter with the downside being that some may not. 
Overall, I wouldn't have a business model that doesn't give a sh*t about it.  I was simply trying to give some feedback on my perspective: good or bad, right or wrong.  "To be silent, is to agree without significance."
Jagdgeschwader 77

"You sleep safe in your beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do you harm."  - George Orwell
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Benjamin Franklin

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2016, 01:12:39 AM »
You can see the icons. You can see the aircraft clearly at the ranges they were typically shot at. You can toggle zoom with a button press. People seem to be doing fine so far.

Nothing wrong with feedback or comments.  :aok

Offline JimmyC

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2016, 01:19:01 AM »
I have zoom button on joystick with in and out on hat switch..can't imagine flying without it
If
It all looks good my end
CO 71 "Eagle" Squadron RAF
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy."

Offline Sloehand

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2016, 03:33:40 AM »
I have it too, and use it for firing a guns solution only rarely as it magnifies nose bounce, thus making shots more difficult.  In the past I mostly used it to get a closer look at a bandit to see how they were maneuvering from a distance.
Lately I've tried to use it more to compensate for the lack of size and clarity of enemy aircraft even at short to middle distances.  It's not a great solution, but it's all that's kept me from quiting so far.  How long that will last only time will tell.
I guess I just never see the value in changing something drastically that is working well.  Just talking about visualizing at distance here, not the whole gambit of improvements provided by the update.  I realize that it may currently be simply a limitation imposed by the 'new' game engine.  I have no idea if it can be adjusted or not. 
I'm just afraid that if I can't adapt (and I will try of course), then someday I may come to think, "What game do I want to play today?  Aces High?"  And sadly, my response maybe,  "Nope, I'll pass. No real fun anymore." 
And eleven years of $15 out of my bank account every month will end.  That, for me, would be real sadness.
Jagdgeschwader 77

"You sleep safe in your beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do you harm."  - George Orwell
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Benjamin Franklin

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2016, 03:41:32 AM »
Nose bounce doesn't change with zoom, it's just easier to see, like your target. It's the same shot you usually take. If you have trouble shooting with zoom it's likely you zoomed in too far.

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2016, 07:23:13 AM »
If I'm trailing a bandit and he gets further separation from me than around D400, I can't see enough of his actual aircraft distinctly enough to fire.  Even a bit closer the aircraft seems exceedingly small, closer still he grows super fast, and then I'm past him.
Now I compare this to AH2 in that, I kept most of my convergences at extreme distance as I could clearly see the aircraft (though small) and occasionally hit a bandit at D800, certainly at D600. 

I'm not offended if the game makes it more difficult to successfully shoot at historically-unrealistic ranges.

- oldman

Offline Dobs

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2016, 08:40:34 AM »
Hey sloehand,

Just some thoughts--I agree planes are tough to see. I'm playing off a 55" TV, 4 feet from me....they are tough to see.  1920 x 1080 res for me, even though the TV is 4k capable because I don't see medium range dots at 4k rez.

Part of the problem for me is icon masking the enemy plane partially (and if I turn them down, I get weenie anemic looking icons which are difficult to read), lack of closure cues outside of 1000 (can we get the 1.1, 1.2., 1.3, 1.4 updates?  I'm not sure of the quantification for the + and - to display, but seems with neither showing I sometimes close, and they sometimes open.), and zooming in really decreases SA and as you pointed out "amplifies" your nose bounce visually (I think looking through a high power scope...without you don't seem to be moving that much, but once you look in, you realize you are all over).

Not sure what you size monitor your fly on, but a 32" 1080p TV is pretty cheap nowadays and makes a huge difference.   Only reason I have bigger is my TV is in my "man cave" and just "happens" to be over my desk:)  Amazing how that works eh!

Cheers!
Dobs
GTX 980TI
Intel I7-6700K @4GHZ
32GB RAM
Fly at 3840x 2160 resolution

Offline Dawger

• Silver Member
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2016, 08:56:48 AM »
I shall echo Dobs statements

56 inch monitor less than 4 feet away in high resolution.

I find the aircraft hard to see outside of 600 yards with icon masking of the aircraft a serious issue.

I would love to see a "halo" style icon around the aircraft itself which would give aspect cues combined with a range counter that is user configurable so you can display whatever number of digits you like. A four digit counter would give closure cues instantaneously. Personally, I have no need for country affiliation in the icon.

Offline Sloehand

• Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2016, 11:28:06 AM »
I had the same problem with the plane icons.  Just beyond 1K or so, friendly or enemy, the icon text became too light and thin to read. I wanted a way to bold the text.  I was clued in to disable the Post Lighting checkbox under Graphic Detail on the Clipboard.  This effectively disables the four sub-checkboxes. Among other things this effectively bolds a plane's text icon display so it can be seen clearly from distance. Then the text point size can be increased/reduced to your preferred size under Preferences >>> GUI.
Jagdgeschwader 77

Offline Dobs

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2016, 12:20:52 PM »
I had the same problem with the plane icons.  Just beyond 1K or so, friendly or enemy, the icon text became too light and thin to read. I wanted a way to bold the text.  I was clued in to disable the Post Lighting checkbox under Graphic Detail on the Clipboard.  This effectively disables the four sub-checkboxes. Among other things this effectively bolds a plane's text icon display so it can be seen clearly from distance. Then the text point size can be increased/reduced to your preferred size under Preferences >>> GUI.

Man I hate to dumb down the pretty to be able to have a smaller icon.....but right now its what I'm going to try.

Thank you.
GTX 980TI
Intel I7-6700K @4GHZ
32GB RAM
Fly at 3840x 2160 resolution

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2016, 12:34:27 PM »
Man I hate to dumb down the pretty to be able to have a smaller icon.....but right now its what I'm going to try.

Thank you.

Yeah.  I discovered that over the weekend.  My issue was the fact I'm colorblind, and I could not find an icon color that worked in all lighting conditions.  My usual yellow for enemies would vanish in the sun glare and haze.  White/grey would vanish in the clouds and horizon fog.

Having disabled post has sorted my issues for the most part, but it does make the world look a lot less fancy and that makes me sad.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2016, 12:41:02 PM »

Thank you.

That is the ugly side of ah3.  In GV, you almost have to turn off all the eye candy to be competitive.  Same with FOV.  The straw pole on FOV tells that story.

I say make all the setting default with no adjustment save gama, and color then be done with it then we are all on the same field playing to the same rules.  Gaming the game is never good for anyone.

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2016, 01:50:45 PM »
My issue,  and others in my squad have pointed it out as well,  is that dots are huge then as you get closer they become smaller.

It kind of gives the appearance that they are traveling away from you but in fact they are actually getting closer.

Strange to me, perhaps it's game settings doing that?
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!