Author Topic: Windows 10 or 7?  (Read 1355 times)

Offline mike8318

• Copper Member
Windows 10 or 7?
« on: September 28, 2016, 06:02:35 AM »
I may be putting a new hard drive in my pc this evening,and was wondering if I should reload Windows 7,or upgrade to 10. Also should I stick with a mechanical drive ,or solid state?
Don't try and outweird me.I get stranger things than you free in my breakfast cereal!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dKgjtBxyis&feature=youtu.be

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
Re: Windows 10 or 7?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2016, 06:56:18 AM »
If you have a valid license for 7, use it. If you have to buy a license, it depends. 7 will be supported for almost four years to come, 10 has no schedule. Then again, 7 is mature whereas 10 still has some teething problems - and will get some with every major update where the entire OS gets upgraded for new features. That said, 10 has lots of potential and it can use resources more efficiently than 7. It's a question of preferences and liking.

The same can be said about hard disks. If you need lots of storage, get a mechanical since the price per GB is much lower. If you can't wait for the OS and your programs starting, an SSD will save you a few minutes daily. Note that an SSD won't affect your game FPS in any way. Again, SSD's are the future, spinners are matured technology. Since we can't save the saved minutes to be used when the grim reaper knocks on the door, I prefer the mechanical drive and use the longer starting time for getting some beverages or to get rid of them.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2016, 07:59:13 AM »
If privacy is at all important to you, then you want to stick to Windows 7. Even if that means staying on Windows 7 after it is no longer supported.

With Windows 10 you have zero privacy. There are plenty of sites on the Internet that describe the problems and pitfalls of Windows 10 and Microsoft's "invasion of" privacy policy.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2016, 08:47:57 AM »
If privacy is at all important to you,---

That's a good point. If you ask anyone if they'd like some company registering every click you make, they'd probably be strongly against it.

However, the same people use Facebook, Google+, any kind of social media, plus a multitude of web shops like Amazon who all gather information about you. You've noticed the stripes on web sites telling about their cookie policy, haven't you? Windows 10 is not worse than any of those so if you're already using such services, Big Brother knows about you more than your mother does.
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2016, 08:59:45 AM »
It's worse than that. By installing Windows 10 you are granting Microsoft explicit rights to remove content from your system, and potentially share anything they gather with outside parties (primarily law enforcement, but potentially anyone of interest). Furthermore, Windows 10 is setup to openly share your microphone and video camera feeds with anyone Microsoft cares to. You owe it to yourself to have an on/off switch on every mic, and camera once you install Windows 10.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2016, 09:02:01 AM »
Every time I think of the EULA that comes with Windows 10 I think back to that first Mac commercial where the Olympic athlete throws the hammer into Big Brother's (Bill Gates) face.

Offline mike8318

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2016, 10:08:00 AM »
Im leaning towards 7  because I still have the original installation disk. Any thoughts on solid state vs mechanical hard drive?
Don't try and outweird me.I get stranger things than you free in my breakfast cereal!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dKgjtBxyis&feature=youtu.be

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2016, 10:16:10 AM »
If you tend to load down your system with many programs, as I do, then you will probably want to install the OS to an SSD, and then mount all of your additional programs to a HDD. I have at least two version of every Adobe product, and several versions of Autodesk products installed. All of that slows down the boot process to the point where the initial start can take up to ten minutes (no joke). You may be at the desktop, but it won't be smooth for that long. With an SSD it may take 10-40 seconds altogether, depending on home many USB ports, how much RAM, and how you have your BIOS set.

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2016, 10:24:52 AM »
If you tend to load down your system with many programs, as I do, then you will probably want to install the OS to an SSD, and then mount all of your additional programs to a HDD. I have at least two version of every Adobe product, and several versions of Autodesk products installed. All of that slows down the boot process to the point where the initial start can take up to ten minutes (no joke). You may be at the desktop, but it won't be smooth for that long. With an SSD it may take 10-40 seconds altogether, depending on home many USB ports, how much RAM, and how you have your BIOS set.

:aok

This is good advice.  I broke down and got an EVO 840 SSD (120GB). 
Boot time is considerably faster.  All my programs and music/videos are on other HDD's.

Coogan
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear

Offline MADe

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2016, 10:40:24 AM »
just went thru this.

I would stick with w7 64 bit. But beware, does the install disk you have include SP1?

I ask because the support for w7 is over. The windows update site bites, IE 11 is a must for basic function..............

so if you have a pre SP1 disc you will want to get a good usb stick, go to MS and manually DL a disc image to the usb stick of the OS version you want. I had to hunt done manually a lot of stuff. Keep in mind all your drivers for a new install, you will need latest versions.
The key with your purchased disc will activate any new, single install, for a DL'ed image.
 :salute

w7 works with SSD fine, but there are OS install differences and basic usage rules difference. If you put the OS and only drivers and apps on it, you'd be happy.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 10:43:24 AM by MADe »
ASROCK X99 Taichi, INTEL i7 6850@4.5GHz, GIGABYTE GTX 1070G1, Kingston HyperX 3000MHz DDR4, OCZ 256GB RD400, Seasonic 750W PSU, SONY BRAVIA 48W600B, Windows 10 Pro /64

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2016, 11:04:47 AM »
Have a good backup strategy in place, no matter which direction you go in.

Offline Drane

• Nickel Member
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2016, 11:34:16 AM »
just went thru this.

I would stick with w7 64 bit. But beware, does the install disk you have include SP1?

I ask because the support for w7 is over. The windows update site bites, IE 11 is a must for basic function..............

so if you have a pre SP1 disc you will want to get a good usb stick, go to MS and manually DL a disc image to the usb stick of the OS version you want. I had to hunt done manually a lot of stuff. Keep in mind all your drivers for a new install, you will need latest versions.
The key with your purchased disc will activate any new, single install, for a DL'ed image.
 :salute

w7 works with SSD fine, but there are OS install differences and basic usage rules difference. If you put the OS and only drivers and apps on it, you'd be happy.

You could just download Windows 7 x64 SP1 - KB976932 and patch installation to SP1 after you install with the original disc.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=5842
92 Squadron RAF - Aut pugna aut morere - 'Either fight or die'

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2016, 12:24:05 PM »
If privacy is at all important to you, then you want to stick to Windows 7. Even if that means staying on Windows 7 after it is no longer supported.

With Windows 10 you have zero privacy. There are plenty of sites on the Internet that describe the problems and pitfalls of Windows 10 and Microsoft's "invasion of" privacy policy.

Google has been gathering and selling your information for years as well many other places like facebook.   MS is just trying to get their share and get it first.  Not defending MS just saying privacy on the internet is an illusion.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2016, 02:22:14 PM »
does the install disk you have include SP1?

Just in case, you can download Win7 including SP1 using your license key directly from Microsoft: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows7

If you install it like I do, you'll choose to let Windows Update download and update Critical Updates only. That means, after getting your motherboard and other device drivers installed, you'll get some 190 updates in the first batch. However, you can speed up the process and download most of the updates by following the guidelines of this: https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/windowsitpro/2016/05/17/simplifying-updates-for-windows-7-and-8-1/. As the site advises, be sure to install KB3020369 prior to the update pack. I know by experience it won't install without that...

SSD, if you have lots of serious programs loading in the background like Chalenge. HDD if you have lots of data to be saved, especially high quality images and videos. Both, if you want a fast boot but lots of storage.

Kotisivuni