Author Topic: Shooting through trees  (Read 196 times)

Offline 715

• Silver Member
Shooting through trees
« on: September 28, 2016, 02:37:24 PM »
In past versions, all of the polygons associated with trees would collide with tank (and other) rounds.  This lead to complaints that shells would explode above or next to trees in areas that looked open (probably because there was a tree polygon there, but the texture was transparent in that spot).  So HiTech fixed the problem by making shells collide with only those tree polygons that represent the trunk or branches; polygons that represent leaves now do not collide with shells.  This is a very good solution and works well.  Thank you HiTech.  However, there is one aspect that leads to problems: the shell still shows an explosion graphic when it passes through these leaf polygons and continues on to its target.  This leads to a lot of confusion and excessive radio traffic of "He can shoot through trees but I can't!!".  What is really happening is he is also seeing his shell explode on the leaves, but it continues on to hit his target (and also explode there and possibly kill it).  The reason yours may not kill is not because it collided with the tree, but because the shell that continued on simply missed your target.

So, to reduce confusion and radio traffic, can that spurious explosion graphic on the leaf polygons be removed?

Offline USCH

• Silver Member
Re: Shooting through trees
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2016, 03:01:47 PM »
+1

I don't care, but yes yesterday all I heard on radio in TT was " he is shooting through trees"!

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2016, 04:03:03 PM »
This is a step up, in AH2 it was "he's shooting through hills, waaa". Now he's shooting through trees.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Mano

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2016, 11:21:36 AM »
1. I have been able to shoot under trees but not through their foliage (ie. the trees that stop a gv). Also, you can shoot between their trunks if the terrain lets you get the hull really low, something we could not do in the previous version of AH3. This change occurred somewhere in the last couple of patches.

2. You can shoot through the small clump of trees, the kind that you can drive a gv through if there is a gv parked in them or if you are parked halfway inside shooting out is my observation. If you are trying to shoot a long range target through the small clump of trees the shell will explode half way through.

3. The same is true for airplanes. Fighters can shoot  at gv's in the small clump of trees that gv's can pass through, but cannot harm gv's through the foliage if they are parked under the large un-passable trees.

I may be wrong, but that is my observation.

:salute

Everything is funny as long as it is happening to somebody else.
- Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)