Author Topic: P-38 Rpm  (Read 10404 times)

Offline 38ruk

• Gold Member
      • @pump_upp - best crypto pumps on telegram !
P-38 Rpm
« on: September 29, 2016, 03:08:07 PM »
I've noticed as much as a 400 rpm drop when doing hard vertical maneuvers  with a P-38. Is this normal behavior for constant speed props ? I haven't notice as big of a drop with other planes . thanks

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
Re: P-38 Rpm
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2016, 03:11:40 PM »
Very interested in this answer as well.  Seems to be the worst in P-38G to me.

Offline Golfer

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2016, 04:01:16 PM »
Might have to do with the propellers being electrically actuated rather than hydraulic.

No idea how it works, it's all black magic and wizardy but that's my first guess.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2016, 04:06:12 PM »
More than you ever wanted to know about constant speed propellers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZ1hu6rVBzA&t=1668s
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Golfer

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2016, 04:10:01 PM »
Does it address electrically actuated propellers or just standard hydraulic propellers?

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2016, 04:27:35 PM »
In AH3 there is a lag modeled in the prop governor. Quick changes in speed (typically during vertical maneuvering) will now result in RPM changes until the governor can catch up.
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline Golfer

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2016, 04:42:37 PM »
I love the feature. The first time I heard it during a short beta stint I was surprised and impressed because it sounded and behaved authentically. I had a geeky smile.

I'm just wondering if the voodoo of the electric props explains the difference between the 38 and other airplanes.

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2016, 11:42:03 PM »
If I recall correctly, the P-39 had an electric prop as well.

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2016, 06:19:42 AM »
This just another neat feature of AH3.  There are many.  Note too, there are times when the rpm exceeds 3000 rpm.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2016, 08:32:39 AM »
I love the feature. The first time I heard it during a short beta stint I was surprised and impressed because it sounded and behaved authentically. I had a geeky smile.

I'm just wondering if the voodoo of the electric props explains the difference between the 38 and other airplanes.

I had the same thing when I took the sim RV out for some areo. Suddenly it was wow that really changes the feel of how it actually sounds and the ques you do not realize you are using in real flight.

HiTech

Offline Mongoose

• Silver Member
      • Kentwood Station
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2016, 02:38:31 PM »
So what exactly was the change that was made? Somewhere along the line I missed that announcement.
My Aces High fan site:
www.kentwoodstation.com

Offline colmbo

• Gold Member
      • Photos
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2016, 03:17:46 PM »
I don't understand why you would lose RPM even if working the airplane hard.  The engine is capable of turning the prop at 3000RPM at low airspeed....it does every takeoff.  The change in speed isn't going to be so abrupt that even a slow electric prop can't keep up with the change.

Was the prop pitch set by an electric motor?  Or was it just an electric governor controlling the prop which still uses engine oil pressure/spring pressure to set pitch?  The B-24 used the latter setup.  The prop controller was prone to failure, usually required an engine shut down and a whack with a rubber mallet (more easily accomplished on the ground).
Columbo

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm" and the warrior whispers back "I AM THE STORM"

Offline Golfer

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2016, 03:56:42 PM »
I'm not sure. Whenever I've read about them they are distinguished as electrically actuated propellers.

I'm curious and was sure someone would know.

Offline Golfer

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2016, 04:45:18 PM »
I've been googling. Seems they use an electric motor.

http://www.enginehistory.org/Propellers/Curtiss/curtissprop.shtml

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2016, 05:05:29 PM »
I don't understand why you would lose RPM even if working the airplane hard.  The engine is capable of turning the prop at 3000RPM at low airspeed....it does every takeoff.  The change in speed isn't going to be so abrupt that even a slow electric prop can't keep up with the change.

Was the prop pitch set by an electric motor?  Or was it just an electric governor controlling the prop which still uses engine oil pressure/spring pressure to set pitch?  The B-24 used the latter setup.  The prop controller was prone to failure, usually required an engine shut down and a whack with a rubber mallet (more easily accomplished on the ground).

Is do to the deacceleration. Rpm has to decrease before it can take less bite and increase. How much and how quickly I have no info on. Just went by feel of how RV sounds in loops.

HiTech