Author Topic: Difficulty upgrading my graphics card  (Read 2775 times)

Offline jimbo71

• Nickel Member
Difficulty upgrading my graphics card
« on: September 30, 2016, 03:14:52 PM »
http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doeventuallylic/display?docId=c03154290

My pc is a HP H8-1214

When I bought it, I knew I would eventually need to upgrade the graphics card.  So i put in a bigger power supply in: Corsair 700 gs

With AH3 out, the time update that GPU is now.  Bought a gigabyte gtx 960 xtreme gaming 4gb card.

Installed it and when I power up the HP splash comes up and it just hangs there.  Option on that screen to hit escape to goto startup menu.  Do that and screen goes black.

Research is telling me it's a conflict with the motherboard bios and the GPU.  Motherboard is a M3970AM-HP .  Updated bios to latest version - didn't help.

Took the PC to a computer repair place today and in the tech guy's opinion the 700 watt power supply isn't enough.  Recommended 1000 watt psu or bigger.   I find that hard to believe since the gtx calls for 400 watt minimum. 

Any input from you gurus would be appreciated because at this point I'm getting aggravated to the point of just walking away

« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 03:17:03 PM by jimbo71 »
xxxJCxxx

Skill, Altitude, Airspeed: You need 2 out of 3...

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
Re: Difficulty upgrading my graphics card
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2016, 03:25:48 PM »
I believe that card only needs a PSU rated at 400 watts & 20 amps.
So you should be good on your power supply.

Hope someone can get you fixed up and running.

Coogan
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear

Offline jimbo71

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2016, 03:55:09 PM »
Another player mentioned putting a gtx 1080 is his (said his processor was the fx 6200, which should be the H8-1534) which uses the exact same motherboard except its called the Angelica on mine and Angelica 2 on his. 

Is it possible to put the Angelica 2 bios version on my M3970AM-HP ? 
xxxJCxxx

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2016, 05:19:30 PM »
Definitely not a power supply issue. It's a HP issue.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Busher

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2016, 07:27:07 PM »

Could be but did you go to Invidia and install the card specific drivers?
Being male, an accident of birth. Being a man, a matter of age. Being a gentleman, a matter of choice.

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2016, 08:24:52 PM »
I don't know if this will help you or not, but I had a similar experience with an ASUS MB and a AMD 9800 iirc.
My work around was to use a $10 pci to VGA video card and install the AMD driver, then remove the pci card and install the AMD card. I was forced to do this every time I reinstalled Win7. Perhaps this suggests a comparable work around for you.

GL
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline flyndung

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2016, 09:07:02 PM »
its a UEFI bios issue.. you have to find a card that has a switch like this one http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2755310/dual-uefi-legacy-bios-video-cards.html

Offline jimbo71

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2016, 10:37:49 PM »
its a UEFI bios issue.. you have to find a card that has a switch like this one http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2755310/dual-uefi-legacy-bios-video-cards.html

I agree.  I got the gigabyte version and have read the msi version has a uefi / legacy switch.  I guess I'll send this one back and get a msi gtx
xxxJCxxx

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2016, 02:34:11 AM »
I mean, 700 Watt is well enough for that card. If your repair man says you'd need 1000 W or more, he's stuck into facts from the last decade. Since the Radeon HD5000 series the trend has been to less power usage.
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2016, 04:40:41 PM »
I mean, 700 Watt is well enough for that card. If your repair man says you'd need 1000 W or more, he's stuck into facts from the last decade. Since the Radeon HD5000 series the trend has been to less power usage.

Bizman,you're ignoring facts!!!!

The repair man wanted to give him a wallet flush and sell a 1000watt PSU he had just collecting dust..... :devil

:salute

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2016, 04:43:51 PM »

Bizman,you're ignoring facts!!!!

The repair man wanted to give him a wallet flush and sell a 1000watt PSU he had just collecting dust..... :devil

Exactly what I was thinking.

Sik
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2016, 02:06:13 AM »
A wallet flush? Love that idiom, thank you!

But yes, that's plausible. Then again, what I've learned a too big power supply can cause issues which may break the computer. If that was intentional a new level of greed has been achieved...

Kotisivuni

Offline jimbo71

• Nickel Member
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2016, 08:31:53 PM »

Agreed.

considering the PC came stock with a 300w power supply.   

Got an appointment with the computer I wanted to originally wanted to go with monday morning.  Hopefully will just entail a partial wallet flush lol
xxxJCxxx

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2016, 01:59:20 PM »
Took the PC to a computer repair place today and in the tech guy's opinion the 700 watt power supply isn't enough.  Recommended 1000 watt psu or bigger.   I find that hard to believe since the gtx calls for 400 watt minimum.

You have to be careful with these places. We have a micro center near me I used to do business with and there is a wide variation of expertise with the so called techies they have on staff. Back when I was doing DV professionally I'd occasionally talk with some of them about this or that and some of their answers were painfil in an area, at least at the time, I knew a fair amount about. It was obvious they knew nothing about DV, and not much more about computers. On the other hand they had a couple heavy hitters in the shop.

Its very possible this guy knew nothing of the power advances new GPUs have made. I myself was surprised at the 500 wt rating of the 1070 and thrilled I wouldnt have to upgrade my 755 wt power in box now.

So it may have very well been ignorance and not trying to sell a new power unit. Most of all in a chain store. I'd take your problem to the Nvidea boards as Im sure its been repeated and is fixable. This is why I buy from Digital Storm or would build my own. Good luck.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"