Author Topic: Seeing game freezes tied to voice activation  (Read 5035 times)

Offline Pudgie

• Silver Member
Re: Seeing game freezes tied to voice activation
« Reply #60 on: October 24, 2016, 10:56:40 PM »
Hitech,

I was messing around running AHIII Patch 7 in Dx11 tonite using the AMD Crimson 16.10.2 drivers set up in default settings except for the following:
Anisotropic Filtering set to override application settings & level set @ 16x
Power Efficiency is disabled
AMD FrameRateTargetControl is enabled & set @ 80 FPS

Game ran good but I also had a screen freeze occur......a pretty good one at that.

Graphs attached below.................

:salute
Win 10 Home 64, AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus, GSkill FlareX 32Gb DDR4 3200 4x8Gb, XFX Radeon RX 6900X 16Gb, Samsung 950 Pro 512Gb NVMe PCI-E SSD (boot), Samsung 850 Pro 128Gb SATA SSD (pagefile), Creative SoundBlaster X7 DAC-AMP, Intel LAN, SeaSonic PRIME Gold 850W, all CLWC'd

Offline Pudgie

• Silver Member
« Reply #61 on: October 24, 2016, 11:12:27 PM »
Then I got a thought & went in AHIII Patch 7 & disabled AA under Post Lighting & left all else as set.
Then shut down the game, went in Crimson 16.10.2 drivers & set AA at the driver level, set TF @ High & left all else as set.
Then started AHIII Patch 7 & flew around.................
The game ran excellent w\o nary a hitch or glitch or anything...............butter .

Attachments below....................

I remember you had mentioned that you thought there may be a bug in the shaders causing this freeze................
Maybe the bug is in the AHIII client shader application of FXAA under Dx11......................

Just a thought...................... ...........

Hope this helps you out...........

PS---I posted all this in this manner to separate the data to go w\ my postings as I couldn't attach more than 4 attachments in any single post.

« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 11:20:19 PM by Pudgie »
Win 10 Home 64, AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus, GSkill FlareX 32Gb DDR4 3200 4x8Gb, XFX Radeon RX 6900X 16Gb, Samsung 950 Pro 512Gb NVMe PCI-E SSD (boot), Samsung 850 Pro 128Gb SATA SSD (pagefile), Creative SoundBlaster X7 DAC-AMP, Intel LAN, SeaSonic PRIME Gold 850W, all CLWC'd

Offline Pudgie

• Silver Member
« Reply #62 on: October 29, 2016, 11:12:35 PM »
Update:

I think I may have found the culprit to the screen freezes on my box...............

I was reading another thread where the OP had discovered the issue on his box was software-related....this got me to thinking bout mine but I knew mine wasn't software-related as I haven't changed\installed any other software except Crimson drivers (16.10.1 thru 16.10.3, 3 different drivers that exhibited the exact same issues) but I did remember that I had moved some USB devices around some time back that may have caused Windows to reassign them which would have set the power management selection for those devices (1 was my Gigabyte USB 3.1\PCI-E adapter card which my CH USB HOTAS goes thru and had moved the USB connection to my CH Pro Pedals from the USB port w\ a broken latch on my Belkin ExpressBus 4-port USB 1.1 hub to the last good USB latched port) to enabled by default so I went into Device Manager and checked the USB root hubs and guess what I found...........1 Composite USB 3.0 Hub (Gigabyte USB 3.1\PCI-E adapter card that my CH USB HOTAS is attached to) and 1 USB 3.0 Root Hub (Asus MG279Q USB 3.0 hub that is plugged into a USB 3.0 port on the same cluster w\ my Bigfoot Killer Ethernet NIC....think power regulation issues on this cluster) had the power management checkbox checked (which enables Windows to shut down power to these 2 hubs if the OS sees\thinks that these 2 hubs are not being used.....which will definitely cause the CPU\GPU to freeze due to either control input loss\Internet packet loss).

I unchecked this for these 2 USB 3.0 hubs then checked the rest to make sure that they were still unchecked (had done this some time ago to ensure that this did not occur but I had forgot to recheck all this after I had moved the USB cabling I had mentioned earlier) and all were still unchecked. Went back in the game since doing all this and have been flying around for the last 2 hrs now w\o issue.....I've even whipped the views around as fast as I could a few times trying to induce a screen freeze w\o success so at this time all seems to be resolved on my box.

Will continue w\ testing but after this I feel pretty good about it now.............

FYI.......................... ...

« Last Edit: October 29, 2016, 11:17:41 PM by Pudgie »

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #63 on: October 31, 2016, 08:32:39 PM »
Pudgie, tried your idea on my system, and lo and behold no  more freezes for me either. I was on last night for about 3 hours with no freezes at all. :bolt:
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline ccvi

• Gold Member
      • http://www.carl-eike-hofmeister.de/
« Reply #64 on: November 19, 2016, 02:56:57 PM »
I tried to disable the power management on all USB Hubs, but it didn't stop the freezes at the end of each transmission.

However, maybe its not a power issue, but some other not so graceful stopping of the recording. Tried something very simple: Launched the windows sound recorder. Just by this one running, the micro-freezes after stopping transmission are gone. Looks like the sound recorder keeps the device in a state where the de-initialization doesn't occur.

Maybe AH could keep "listening" to the input, even if not using the data, to avoid the harsh deinitialization?

Offline Dobs

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #65 on: November 21, 2016, 07:26:39 AM »
I've seem to have gone away from sound related micro freezes, but still have the periodic micro freeze.

Maybe we can start adding in what map we were on when it happens.

Some maps are worse than others for me......

GTX 980TI
Intel I7-6700K @4GHZ
32GB RAM
Fly at 3840x 2160 resolution

Offline ccvi

• Gold Member
      • http://www.carl-eike-hofmeister.de/
« Reply #66 on: November 22, 2016, 05:03:51 PM »
All "solved" for me by running the recorder in the background.

Maybe its the NSA spying, randomly turning on and off the sound recording, causing the stutter when stopping the recording? I mean, there's lot's of terrorist talk ongoing, like "bring the bombs to a12" and so on.

Offline Driver

• Zinc Member
« Reply #67 on: November 22, 2016, 10:22:28 PM »
I normally don't post much about the game cause I just play and don't say much. I love this game. Not being particularly computer knowledgeable I must say the screen freezes  seem to be getting worse. It's really starting to take away from the enjoyment of the game for me.
I will play no matter what but something really should be done about this. It is happening during combat and a second or two freeze is really bad.
I hope something can be done.
Also seems to be a bit more warping than usual but this is not nearly as frustrating as the freezing. 
Thanks for listening

The old shall overcome youth, ability and talent by decit, treachery and wickedness