Author Topic: what's your most embarrasing death ?  (Read 1007 times)

Offline Professor Fate

• Copper Member
what's your most embarrasing death ?
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2001, 03:30:00 PM »
Though it has happened many times the most recent was today.

During a dogfight with a Yak I was pinged by a Tempest who tried to zoom in for a quicky.  While travelling back to base I was busy talking to 'pipz' about some of the 109's in AH and ran into the side of big mountain resulting in a kill for 'MrWulf' the Tempest pilot.

[ 09-09-2001: Message edited by: Professor Fate ]

Offline Blue Mako

• Silver Member
      • http://www.brauncomustangs.org/BLUEmako.htm
« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2001, 05:20:00 PM »
My most embarassing death wasn't even when engaging the red guys...  I was upping in a P51D and I dropped one of my tanks onto the runway (I like to cruise with just one tank).  Hit 120 mph, pull back to unstick, plane starts uncommanded roll to the side with the tank.  I'm thinking "what's wrong with the joystick??!!!" as I plow into the grass next to the runway inverted.

Took me a couple of miutes to realize that I didn't have enough speed at take off to fly with the weight imbalance.  D'oh!  Glad noone saw it at the time...

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2001, 06:18:00 PM »
ever had your DT's hit the plane below you when taking off? Heeheee...

Offline Staga

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.nohomersclub.com/
« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2001, 06:47:00 PM »
Once I tried to divebomb with G-10 from 10k...

Another fine was I was flying a Ta-152 and I heard couple pings in fight from Macchi 202. I flyed back to home, dropped gears and made a smooth landing. Then I noticed that my left gear was damaged, plane spinned out of runway and I lost points.
That pissed me almost as much as lack of fuel in Tempest when after flight I glided almost in runway, only 20-30 meter short  :D

Offline majic

• Silver Member
« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2001, 10:35:00 PM »
well, there's two actually:

The first time Idecided to go CV hunting; took my trusty f6f up to 8k and got the perfect angle with no bad guys near my alt.  I cut the throttle and dove in, perfect approach. No way I can miss.  Unless machine guns are selected...I was so surprised at the mistake, I just augered in...

Second time I was up in the Ta-152 for the first time tring to intercept an HQ strike.  Got the first bomber when a spit came in on me and one-pinged my engine dead.  I figure my only chance is to go for the deck and hope the spit driver has some sense of duty, but he doesn't.  He follows me all the way down and pings me a few more times, but I make it to a base and drag him through the ack.  I get credit for the kill and think this must be my day, so I bleed some speed and make a perfect approach, until I find out i'm wounded. I blacked out, panicked and augered in.

Offline SAR

• Zinc Member
« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2001, 11:09:00 PM »
Well my most emberassing crash so far happened recently, it was during last Fridays TOD.
 Our mission was to take off from A26 on the Mindaeno map and fly our Ju-88 all the way down to the SW corner to take out the CV. We had 7 bombers and 3 fighter for cover. We made it all the way down there and took out the cv and the cruiser and only lost 2 bombers to ack fire.
  On our way back, we decided to land at A36, which was an elevated field. After a total flight time of about an hour and 15 min. we made it to the field and when I was coming in for a landing I miss judged the hill that the field was on and I snapped off the landing gear and bounced off the ground. I didn't have enough air speed to get back in the air and I crashed about 100 yards from the strip.
  The next thing I hear is Milenko saying "Hey SAR nice landing". Then the rest of the squad started in.
  I got a good ribbing for about a half an hour, but it was pretty funny.

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2001, 03:29:00 AM »
Embarrasing death ?
Why only one   ;)
I've done three in a row !

Once upon of time the day of the release of the mighty Tempest

• 1st sortie : I was carefully selecting a field for my 1st ever sortie in the dream plane when my wingman Dudule scream at me :" Go defend field #".

I type ASAP ".move #" and click on the "N" runway (completly forgoting to change my plane) result : VULCHED.
Argggggggggggg (was a bit upset)
  • 2nd sortie : this time I select my startup field with more care : no dot around no red sector bar ... took some time to speak with my wife ...

Ok now "let's GO !"...
Start engine ouch ...
This thing accelerate like a rocket ...
What's that red thing at the end of runway ...
It's an "O"    !
It's an "S"    !
It's an "T"    !
It's an "OSTY" !
And blammo ... KILLED   :(This time I'm rather furious ...
  • 3rd and last sortie : selecting carefully again a field (sector bar clear etc...)

Take off ... yeah no stinking OSTY...
Let's play a bit with her ...diving climbing rolling turning ... rahhh lovely ...
Ok that's good head to combat zone ...
yeeha ! an superb target ... slurp... I love the smell of the burning 109 ... reduce throttle and Go for the bounce ... level on his low 6 ... Aim ... and BLAMMO !!!!!
KILLSHOOTER   :(
  • LOGOFF DISGUSTED
[ 09-10-2001: Message edited by: straffo ]

Offline Creamo

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.fatchicksinpartyhats.com
« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2001, 03:42:00 AM »
Swager, I give credit when it's DUE. That was fukin hilarious. Heh, I did laugh. Wish I was the Spit.

Offline MadBirdCZ

• Nickel Member
      • http://home.worldonline.cz/~cz088436/
« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2001, 03:54:00 AM »
Originally posted by Animal:
I was drunkly vulching a capped field in a Tempest, and to taunt our opponents, I tried to fly thru hangar. A plane just spawned and I rammed him.

LOL I died exactly the same way  :) The only good thing for me was that I managed to open fire while just feets in front of the hangar doors... I killed StSanta and colided with the detonation...  :) Oh well   :D

Offline LtHans

• Nickel Member
« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2001, 04:23:00 AM »
I got my PT boat into firing position on an enemy CV group after a long, long chase.

Then I found out I had no torpedos on the boat.  I had left them behind once upon a time to see if the PT boat is faster without them, and only just now actually had an oportunity to launch them.

Hans.

Offline Midnight

• Silver Member
      • http://www.brauncomustangs.org
« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2001, 04:49:00 AM »
Had a fight with a Typhoon that lasted for a few minutes. I finally score some good hits and tear off some wing parts and radiator hits.

I still couldn't get the kill, but was still in a better position. Finally the guy made me loose position and then he went to ditch his plane.

Not wanting him to get away and me loose the kill, I turned hard to come around and get him before he got out. I'm on the edge of a stall and just when I pull the trigger the right wing stalls. Spin, Auger, right into the ground next to the Typhoon. I'm dead, he gets the kill....  :(

Midnight

Offline Paxil

• Copper Member
      • http://marathontoathens.blogspot.com
« Reply #41 on: September 10, 2001, 01:02:00 PM »
I was chatting with a new squaddie via RW and he was on a field ready to take off for another sortie... I was getting ready to land, but was coming in a bit too fast so I decided to make a low level pass over the field inverted... well... I rolled over... (forgetting the fact I was in a bomber) and crashed right in front of him.

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
« Reply #42 on: September 10, 2001, 01:22:00 PM »
When the Arado was brand new and few had a lot of points to fly it, it was something people would jump to the tower to watch take off.  So, on day 2 of the Arado being out, I announce I'm going to roll one out from base such-and-such.  Wanting to put on a good show, I verify my bomb load and ratos and make a really long run before kicking in the ratos.

Well, before the glory of many, I hadnt toggled RATOs back and bombed myself to smithereens.  Sigh!

Offline batdog

• Silver Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com/
« Reply #43 on: September 10, 2001, 01:26:00 PM »
Fatty shot me down in a that stumviorkien thingy...he out turned me in a low fuel low ammo d11  :(

xBAT
Of course, I only see what he posts here and what he does in the MA.  I know virtually nothing about the man.  I think its important for people to realize that we don't really know squat about each other.... definately not enough to use words like "hate".

AKDejaVu

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
« Reply #44 on: September 10, 2001, 01:48:00 PM »
There have been so many....

Couple of days ago, I'm returning to base with a bunch of ammo in a Jug, and see an Ostie blasting away at ground structures.  I come in low behind him and let loose with a long burst from eight .50's, scoring plenty of hits.  However, I am too low and exactly in line with his gun and get wacked with 37mm as I pass over him.  Doh!   :)
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?