Author Topic: Describe virtual reality to me...  (Read 3301 times)

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
Describe virtual reality to me...
« on: October 05, 2016, 08:43:55 AM »
These VR thingies going around? Do you find them worth it and do they enhance the experience? How would you describe them? Which ones are best? OK I have two USB-3 inputs on my MB so its either a powered hub or a dedicated USB3 card correct? I'd be tempted to go with a Hub to reduce the power requirements from my power supply.

Anyway upgrading to the GTX 1070 now gives me the VR option.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
Re: Describe virtual reality to me...
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2016, 09:24:11 AM »
Using your monitor is like looking at nice pictures of your aircraft. VR is like sitting in it.

Offline Copprhed

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2016, 09:24:55 AM »
I would say 100% that it's worth it. It feels and looks quite realistic inside the cockpit of the planes, to the point that you see every cranck and lever and button as if it were really there extending from the sides and dash. The one thing that this reality does, which can be a negative for some, is that if you're prone to motion sickness, it can have that effect. For some it's severe, and doesn't go away, others get used to it, over time, with the help of things like crystallized ginger and Dramamine, etc. I'm having that problem, and I'm giving it every chance , and hope I'm not one of the few who can't get through it. I will say that it's one of the greatest computer experiences I've ever had, rivaling building my own, my first computer flight and dogfight, and then my first online MMO dogfights in Fighter Ace.
Flight Leader: "Bogeys at 2 o'clock!"
Wingman: "Roger, It's 1:30 now, what do I do 'til then?"

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2016, 12:42:09 PM »
Sounds great but $600 + sounds a little stiff for me right now, most of all after buying a 1070, " which of course I needed anyway cause a 780 ain't capable of VR". What is the power drain of VR also? I have a good Corsair 755 wt but have an awful lot hanging off the box now. Thanks.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2016, 01:29:46 PM »
you guys talking about it being 3d?

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2016, 02:02:50 PM »
Talking about being inside the game instead of outside looking in.

Offline Copprhed

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2016, 02:15:03 PM »
Talking about being inside the game instead of outside looking in.
EXACTLY!! It is better than fantastic. It's getting about as real as you can without actually being there.

Offline mbailey

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2016, 03:46:43 PM »
I would say 100% that it's worth it. It feels and looks quite realistic inside the cockpit of the planes, to the point that you see every cranck and lever and button as if it were really there extending from the sides and dash. The one thing that this reality does, which can be a negative for some, is that if you're prone to motion sickness, it can have that effect. For some it's severe, and doesn't go away, others get used to it, over time, with the help of things like crystallized ginger and Dramamine, etc. I'm having that problem, and I'm giving it every chance , and hope I'm not one of the few who can't get through it. I will say that it's one of the greatest computer experiences I've ever had, rivaling building my own, my first computer flight and dogfight, and then my first online MMO dogfights in Fighter Ace.

Taking medication to play the game....now that's dedication.   :D On a side note it was great seeing you Saturday morning sir (Missed hearing "Baileeeeeee in my headphones every Sat Morning)..I should be able to cause some trouble with you this Sat. My new computer arrives tomorrow.  :x 
« Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 03:49:12 PM by mbailey »
Mbailey
80th FS "Headhunters"

Ichi Go Ichi E
Character is like a tree and reputation like its shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

When the game is over, the Kings and Pawns all go into the same box.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2016, 03:57:26 PM »
I haven't had any issues with nausea in AH. Dirt Rally has given me a little at times but it hasn't been a serious issue.

Offline Copprhed

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2016, 04:32:43 PM »
Ginger seems to be helping. from what I've read, long exposure seems to trigger it more. I'm hoping that over time it goes away.
BAIIIIIIILLLLLEEEEEYYYY! It was great seeing you too buddy! Congrats on the new rig!

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2016, 05:02:41 PM »
Fan on the head helps.

When you go from VR back to monitor play it feels like stepping back a century.

Before the switch to AH3 I was using VorpX and OpenTrack to play AH2 on my Rift.

My mainboard died and I had to replace it. When I went to play AH2 next it was for FSO, and VorpX spat the dummy needing a new license key as it thought it was on a new PC because of the changed mainboard. I could barely play, it was horrific. The monitor felt so unintuitive, flat, dimensionless. It was like watching a video of someone fishing compared to actually fishing.

Offline lerxst

• Zinc Member
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2016, 09:50:49 PM »
beside occulus rift,can you use your smart phone with a headset to play the game also or only occulus??

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2016, 10:26:53 PM »
The fan really does help, it helps with keeping my glasses from fogging a bit too, I'm using an older pair with a poor coating, yet narrow frames which fits - contacts just don't sit on my eyes like they used to, but with them in, it's fantastic too.

Rich, there are a couple negatives IMO - if you're used to 1080, 1440, or 4k graphics, the rez is a bit of a let down, however, the effect of being "inside" the cockpit more, way more, than makes up for this.  I also find that my air combat ability improves greatly in VR due to the positional awareness - it just seems like I can judge distance, speed, angles, all of it SO, SO much better.  Also, for example, when on top and behind a con on the deck, when I roll over, I can see him outside of the top of the plane and side of the cockpits in such a better way, it's difficult to describe, but it's absolutely there. I've only been flying online the last couple days, having spent most of my time offline getting things set the way I like, but the VR experience truly adds to the situational awareness and..positional awareness I guess.

Just sitting in a Ta152 tonight on the way to the target base, looking around was truly a marvel - a real feeling of truly being "there". 

So far as the airsickness/nausea, I've only felt a glimmer of it once, it isn't all that common so I wouldn't let that stop you.  You have a good system for VR, we've got 1080, 1070, and the Pascal Titan running a couple Rifts and several Vives in the house now - 1070 to 1080 I see NO difference in AH performance, you'll be MORE than good to go with that card and a Rift.

Also - get the Rift.  Hands down.  For now anyway.  Far more along for cockpit games than the Vive is, HT/Skuzzy have both said their drivers and software are way better for them to work with, more advanced, etc than the Vive.  This shows in other flight sims too if you're into any of them.  There is only a single game I keep my Vive for right now, it's more of a..."non sim gamer" experience IMO - not that it's bad, it's truly fantastic and the controllers are incredible, it's just for more non-sim gamers is all.  There is a new FPS/Combat game called Onward that is Vive only, and it's beats, if it didn't exist I'd never touch our Vives and just let the nephews and nieces take them home.

Waiting isn't a terrible option right now, you are missing out on a lot of the "new" fun and experience, however there are a couple things waiting in the wings which may make waiting a wise choice if you aren't in a major rush.  Razor has a OSVR2 set coming out very soon, cheaper by a couple hundred dollars at least, open source so it should work with all Rift/Vive games (I think, AckAck knows more about this), be cheaper and easier to upgrade to 4k when that comes, plus will be open to any of the new open source controllers being made by the dozens right now.  I'm getting one at least when they come out. They also have a in headset focus thing so you won't need your glasses apparently either. 

VR is the future for sim gaming - once any player tries it they'll see how evident that is. It's great now, and it's very early days, yet HTC has already made it feel very polished and incredible.  In a couple/few years once the 4k and better headsets come along, better drivers/software, and above all ideas from HT/etc on how to implement all that - it'll be must have.  It comes down to where you want to get on the ride is all - if you can at all swing it, I would, right now.  Even if it means dropping another hobby, you won't care, as all you'll want to do is fly in the stupid thing once you have it.  I used to buy a new "gaming" 144hz or higher gaming monitor of ever increasing size and res every year, at least.  They cost more than the VR sets do, and a single Rift has put an end to that monitor arms race for me, as I play mostly sims/games that support the Rift.  If you consider it that way, a 600 dollar Rift isn't a bad deal right now.

There are also a number of guys here that can help you out with it, FLS, others, Vulcan especially who has been posting about VR for years, and now finally others have caught up with him and given him some company.  Every question/issue I've had so far has been answered by either another VR player or actioned by HTC already.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 10:33:13 PM by Gman »

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2016, 10:50:04 PM »
beside occulus rift,can you use your smart phone with a headset to play the game also or only occulus??

You can't play on your phone. You can use the Rift or the Vive.

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2016, 08:20:44 AM »
Thanks "G". I'm going to wait. I just got hurt at work again so it looks like Ill be a pensioner soon. The good news is more time to play. The bad is no more OT checks for toys. I'll see how it goes, right now the $400 for the 1070 has me empty in the wallet for toys. 3 Glocks in the last year didn't help.