Author Topic: Pro tip: Don't buy a gaming headset.  (Read 4587 times)

Offline FLOOB

• Gold Member
Pro tip: Don't buy a gaming headset.
« on: October 05, 2016, 05:32:30 PM »
Save yourself the frustration and money and buy quality headphones that aren't marketed toward gamers, and buy a separate quality microphone. In fact if at all possible avoid buying any hardware that's marketed towards gamers. One thing that I've repeatedly and painfully learned in the past 20 years of pc gaming is that the overwhelming majority of "gaming" hardware and peripherals are overpriced and designed to fail within a couple of years.
“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans” - John Steinbeck

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
Re: Pro tip: Don't buy a gaming headset.
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2016, 05:38:06 PM »
It's been said many times before, and yet there will be people that will swear the stuff is great.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2016, 06:32:23 PM »
I took Chalenge's advice on this a while back, I have quite a few "gaming" headsets, not as many as I have mech keyboards, but enough.  I decided to get the Sony MDRs he was using, and haven't looked back.  They were under 130 CDN delivered, not much more than a "gaming" set, and are 10x better IMO. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000AJIF4E?pldnSite=1

or

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00001WRSJ?pldnSite=1

Either cost around $100USD, and blow any "gaming" set out of the water.  Add a modmic, or some other type of decent desktop mic, presto, audio issues solved.  DAC isn't a bad option to add, but you still get good solid sound without one with the MBs out these days. 
« Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 06:34:49 PM by Gman »

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2016, 08:23:21 PM »
i have a surround headset.  nothing beats surround sound.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline FESS67

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2016, 04:10:00 AM »
Microsoft lifechat

2 in 14 years and good mic

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2016, 08:13:22 AM »
Microsoft lifechat

2 in 14 years and good mic

Logictech, like G-35, or something. Cheap ,surround sound, about 7 years and still working.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline aaronr

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2016, 09:46:02 AM »
I know this is a little off topic but I've been at this stuff since the early 70's and watched a lot of trends I thoroughly believe the terms "gamer" "gaming" have come to represent lower tier products.

I have Asus mobo's and even they changed the term PRO Gamer to PRO gaming in an attempt to somehow make it sound more "professional".
MOBO: Asus Z170 Pro Gaming, Win 7 Ult X64,  CPU:  i5 6600K @ 4.7  X 47 mult 1.25v core.
Enermax liquid cooling GFX: EVGA GTX 960 SSC 4 GB
PWR: Corsair RM750i RAM: DDR4 Patriot 2800 8GB X 2
Prime 95 12 hrs max temp 66c

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2016, 10:21:02 AM »
Thanks for the tip.   :aok

I've never fallen for any "gaming" or "gamer" stuff, but I've been wondering if their price really correlates with quality. Now I know it doesn't and can warn people about it.

This forum has taught me a lot of things, kudos to all who've added my knowledge.  :cheers:
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2016, 03:00:39 PM »
Yeah, I use the same mics that professionals in radio and television use, plus some. If you have an actual interface like this:

- OR -

Then you are MILES ahead of onboard, or USB headphones, and especially single-unit 7.1 audio.

Setting up even just two speakers for audio monitoring is very complex. There is no way in this world that a company can manufacture a single-device 7.1 system that is just inches from your head (or less) and provide for surround-like separation.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2016, 03:07:05 PM »
Sennheiser best set I've ever used. They are expensive.
- The Flying Circus -

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2016, 03:37:26 PM »
Yeah I had a special mixer and 5.1 set up for video back when I was doing it. At most head phones alone will give you the sensation of 7.1 audio but I find it good enough. For instance in single person shooters I can tell if a sound is left/rear, right/front....ect The Logic tech has software that lets you listen to the 7.1 audio of a woman talking and its a pretty good imitation of 7.1 audio. Or 5.1 . Correct me if Im wrong but AH is stereo only correct?

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2016, 03:49:01 PM »
No, Aces High does true 3D sounds.  It's not Dolby or any other encoding.  Aces High has been doing true 3D audio for over ten years.

The audio system, in the game, will create all the channels needed to match the speaker configuration of the computer.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2016, 03:51:23 PM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2016, 04:03:43 PM »
OK, thanks. AH does have good locational audio like when a tank is rolling in you can tell exactly from which way its coming. I'd recommend these G35s for gaming and general use. For about $50 they do deliver pretty good audio.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2016, 04:31:56 PM »
Not everyone can afford to have a sound dampened room for gaming, but if you can afford to commit a room for surround that's the best way to play I think. I'm going to have to fix that up this holiday.