Author Topic: Frame-rate drop when Clipboard open  (Read 2148 times)

Offline Kingpin

• AH Training Corps
  • Silver Member
Frame-rate drop when Clipboard open
« on: October 07, 2016, 02:02:00 PM »
I've dialed in my graphics settings to get steady 40-60 FPS (usually it displays 59 FPS) in flight.

However, whenever I open the clipboard my FR drops to 12-18 and turns into a slide-show.  It seems to have come and gone with different patches (usually about halving my FR), but the latest update has had the worst impact. Opening the clipboard now drops me to about a quarter of my normal FR.  When I close the clipboard, the FR usually jumps to an intermediary number (30ish) for a second and then goes back up to normal (59 FPS) after a second or two.

First, is anyone else experiencing this? 

Second, is the clipboard data really that graphics intensive?

I know there is more detail with the new icons, showing directional changes, bomber or fighter types, and there is even a little "shadow" below the aircraft icon on the map (which is cool looking, but IMO unnecessary).  If this is an issue for people, perhaps the ability do disable some of the features on the clipboard responsible for the FR hit might be in order?

<S>
Kingpin
« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 02:09:36 PM by Kingpin »
Quote from: bozon
For those of us playing this game for well over a decade, Aces High is more of a social club. The game just provides the framework. I keep logging in for the people and Pipz was the kind that you keep coming to meet again.

Offline Kingpin

• AH Training Corps
  • Silver Member
Re: Frame-rate drop when Clipboard open
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2016, 01:53:49 PM »

Nobody else has their frame-rate drop (to half or a quarter or normal) when they open the clipboard?  Really?
For those of us playing this game for well over a decade, Aces High is more of a social club. The game just provides the framework. I keep logging in for the people and Pipz was the kind that you keep coming to meet again.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2016, 01:57:46 PM »
I have tried to duplicate this and have not been successful, on three different machines of various configurations.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline katanaso

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2016, 05:08:47 PM »
This happens to me.  It's happening right now, sitting in a tower, so I alt-tabbed to post a reply.  This is trying the DX11 version.

59fps with the map closed, 20-24 fps when it's open.  Regardless of the map zoom, it drops like that.

In flight, it's the same thing.

Some basic PC specs for reference:
i5-2500k OC'd to 4Ghz
ATI 7950 OC'd to 1108/1250
16GB RAM

2650 x 1440 res
106 FoV in game
4096 Textures

Plenty of resources left on my system.
mir
80th FS "Headhunters"

The most terrifying words in the English language are: "I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

Offline katanaso

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2016, 05:15:08 PM »
I just tested with the DX9 version, and there is no fps drop when opening the clipboard.  Steady at 59fps.

I logged out, then back in with the DX11 version, and the fps dropped from 59fps to 18fps as soon as the clipboard expanded.  It stayed at 18fps.
mir
80th FS "Headhunters"

The most terrifying words in the English language are: "I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2016, 05:31:06 PM »
I don't know about frame rate, but I do so the clipboard map slowly zoom out if I zoom in all the way.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2016, 06:37:55 AM »
I have a 7950 in my home system, and running with default graphic settings I cannot duplicate this.  You are running at a higher resolution (I am at 1920x1080) than I am and a higher FOV (i am running the default of 90).

The only options on the clipboard map enabled are "Field Names" and "Icons".

The arena was on the "CraterMA" map when I tested this.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2016, 06:39:36 AM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline katanaso

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2016, 07:59:38 AM »
I have a 7950 in my home system, and running with default graphic settings I cannot duplicate this.  You are running at a higher resolution (I am at 1920x1080) than I am and a higher FOV (i am running the default of 90).

The only options on the clipboard map enabled are "Field Names" and "Icons".

The arena was on the "CraterMA" map when I tested this.

Same map - CraterMA.

The options that I can recall being checked on the clipboard map:

Field Names
Icons
GV Spawns
Radar
Field Altitudes

I can't confirm until I get home tonight, but I emailed you about a bug, and the attached screenshot may show what I have enabled, if I forgot to list something above.

I also changed the default icon colors to blue and yellow, but I wouldn't think that has any bearing on it.
mir
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline puller

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2016, 08:16:31 AM »
I get a frame rate drop of up to 10fps when the clipboard is open...and with this latest patch, around large fields it drops to 6fps...
"The road to Hell is paved with good intentions."
CO   Anti-Horde

Offline aaronr

• Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2016, 03:30:22 PM »
I tried both DX 11 and 9 both sit at 75 FPS and when I open the clipboard one went up to 76 but I think that is just a quirk I get virtualy no frame rate change in tower on line in flight.
MOBO: Asus Z170 Pro Gaming, Win 7 Ult X64,  CPU:  i5 6600K @ 4.7  X 47 mult 1.25v core.
Enermax liquid cooling GFX: EVGA GTX 960 SSC 4 GB
PWR: Corsair RM750i RAM: DDR4 Patriot 2800 8GB X 2
Prime 95 12 hrs max temp 66c

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2016, 03:51:49 PM »
Same map - CraterMA.

The options that I can recall being checked on the clipboard map:

Field Names
Icons
GV Spawns
Radar
Field Altitudes

I can't confirm until I get home tonight, but I emailed you about a bug, and the attached screenshot may show what I have enabled, if I forgot to list something above.

I also changed the default icon colors to blue and yellow, but I wouldn't think that has any bearing on it.

Try just checking the top 2 options and see if it makes any difference.  I'll try your configuration when I get home tonight.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline katanaso

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2016, 04:45:38 PM »
Try just checking the top 2 options and see if it makes any difference.  I'll try your configuration when I get home tonight.

Will do.  I should be able to check in a couple of hours.
mir
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline katanaso

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2016, 07:58:42 PM »
I wasn't able to log in and test before the map changed.  It's Montis now, and I'm not having the fps drop with the map open.

Edit:  I tried the CraterMA map in offline mode, and had the same fps drop.  When I unchecked everything but Field Names and Icons, the fps shot back up to 59 and held steady.

I added Radar - fps remained steady at 59
I added Altitudes - fps remained steady at 59
I added GV Spawns - fps dropped to 20-24

Removing GV Spawns, and leaving the other four options enabled gave me a steady 59 fps again.

Adding GV Spawns dropped fps back down to 20-24.

This was in the DX11 version.

« Last Edit: October 13, 2016, 08:04:31 PM by katanaso »
mir
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Kingpin

• AH Training Corps
  • Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2016, 04:59:29 AM »
Yep, the GV spawns on the clipboard map are the culprit!

With GV spawns on, I open the clipboard, FR drops from 59 into the 38-49 range (on the Montis map).  Close clipboard FR goes to 54 for a second and then 59.

If I open the clipboard and turn GV spawns off, FR goes to 54 for a second then 59 steady WITH clipboard OPEN.

With GV spawns off, I can open and close the clipboard with no FR hit.

DX11 version. 
Note: the Montis map does seem to have the least significant drop due to this than any map thus far.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 05:03:02 AM by Kingpin »

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2016, 06:35:50 AM »
I am not able to duplicate this on my home system with the 7950 video card.

I need to see a DXDIAG output from both of your systems.  I need to verify drivers and any other differences.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese