Author Topic: Moving forward view in TIR moves the entire head box  (Read 4595 times)

Offline TheRapier

• Nickel Member
      • The Musketeers Squadron, My Little Pony
Moving forward view in TIR moves the entire head box
« on: October 09, 2016, 03:48:01 PM »
If I adjust the forward view slightly to the side to see over the nose or have a rear view in TIR, it crams the whole view from the head box to one side. My pilot gets a great view of the world sitting on the left armrest.

Needless to say this is incorrect. A pilot should be able to move around the cockpit to get around various canopy posts etc. without being welded to one spot.

Thanks!
--)-Rapier--
CO Musketeers
Longest continuously operating MMO squadron
Serving your target needs since 1990
They thought it would be a disgrace to go forth in a group.  Each entered the forest at a point that he had chosen where there was no path and where it was darkest. La Queste de St G

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
Re: Moving forward view in TIR moves the entire head box
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2016, 03:58:00 PM »
The Forward and Rear views are a separate adjustment from the Front view.

Offline TheRapier

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2016, 08:15:16 PM »
Thanks FLS for your reply!

Unfortunately, if I understand what you are saying, this shouldn't happen. I agree. They are separate adjustments that the user does but one works and one does not.

However, if I let it return to the default view, my head centers right on the headrest and no amount of moving or fiddling with TIR fixes that with a view I can also use for shooting. The two seem to be tied together which is antithetical to what should be working. 

I have optimized to shoot things in the forward view and that works but nails my head to the left canopy.

I only report the problem, how the thing is built is in HTC's bailiwick. I will just mention again, that we had a system in AH2 that worked, where the view key overroad the TIR view. We have that reversed here and as far as I can tell, it added nothing. I have yet to see any comment that this is the best thing ever. I DO see a lot of comments that say the old system worked. So the question is why aggravate a lot of people for a feature that doesn't really add to the game? It seems to be simple logic.

Since it is simply an ordering problem, which system overrides which system, why NOT revert to the original?

Thanks!
--)-Rapier--
CO Musketeers
They thought it would be a disgrace to go forth in a group.  Each entered the forest at a point that he had chosen where there was no path and where it was darkest. La Queste de St G

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2016, 10:10:27 PM »
It's a new feature. It improves utility for one to one tracking.

You can set the forward and rear views where you like them and keep the front view centered.

If you can't move side to side set the front view back to default,  Home then F10.

Offline TheRapier

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2016, 01:10:17 PM »
I'm very sorry but this feature just doesn't work. It doesn't help in any way, it is actually a detriment to tracking.

I tested this with a Niki to check the box.

I move the center to a location to the left of the giant gunsight to see around it and hit F10 to lock it. Choosing anything to the outside of the sight does the same thing as outlined below.

When I try to return to it by hitting center, it picks a place to the left of the original. If I zoom in and out 2 times it returns to the right place.

I'm now fairly certain that if I test other planes I'll find the same thing. This appears to be untested.

By what you said, this is not how the feature should work, therefore its a bug. I appreciate your answers but I'm pretty sure you can't fix it.

Thanks!
--)-Rapier--
CO Musketeers

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2016, 01:31:18 PM »
It works on my system.

I assume you're not confusing front view and forward view.

It's easier to set now than it was in AH2. You don't turn TrackIR off to set head position.
Just move your head where you want it, press F10, then sit normally and press Tracker Center.

For the over the nose gunsight view hold the Forward view button or key, move your head where you want it, press F10. Release the Forward view button.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 02:51:29 PM by FLS »

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2016, 02:28:54 PM »
I can only test with VR head sets but here is what I see.

Normal front view.

Moved head to left to make new default view.

Pressed F10 and view jumped to the left.

Moved my head back to my normal sitting posion, and the left saved position is now my default view.

Is this what you are seeing?
« Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 02:32:13 PM by hitech »

Offline TheRapier

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2016, 09:00:30 PM »
Hey HT and FLS!

Thanks for the replies!

FLS, I wouldn't assume anything as I don't live on the BBS and there is no explanation at all for the terms you are using any where that I'm aware of. :)

However I will try what you suggest and see if that does anything. What you are outlining would seem to work if the view key over road the TIR view. I come from AH2 and I did the change as it worked there and got the results that I posted. A moving center point in the forward view is bad, very bad.

HT, the views don't appear in your post, I have to download them. The ones that I see are of a B-25, which I assume has a ginormous head box. I'm reporting things in a Pony and Niki where the head box is much much smaller. You are also not zooming your view which is what the report states. Needless to say, it is not what I'm seeing. When I zoom in and out, the view moves left to right and back again, but only for two iterations. Kind of the worst possible set up and completely unusable for tracking or shooting. It is very disorienting to see down a track and have it move in a way that is unexpected.

Thanks for your assistance!

--)-Rapier--
CO Musketeers

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2016, 10:19:12 PM »
If you look at the controller setup you'll see that the Front view, which is your default view, is separate from the Forward view which is mapped by default to keypad8. That's the same as it was in AH2.  You can use whatever command you're used to using to center TrackIR.

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2016, 07:48:28 AM »
It is almost impossible to set an F10 head position with trackir.  For some reason the F10 saved position is not the same position in trackir.  That may be part of your problem.  This has been reported as a bug in beta.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2016, 01:01:38 PM »
Just press F10 and your current position is set.

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2016, 08:18:25 PM »
When I have TIR enabled, head position will not move.  When TIR is disabled, head position will move, but when TIR is re-enabled the position is slightly different.
So, it takes a lot of trial and error to set the gunsight position, and it can't be set accurately in some planes.
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2016, 09:49:33 PM »
When I have TIR enabled, head position will not move.  When TIR is disabled, head position will move, but when TIR is re-enabled the position is slightly different.
So, it takes a lot of trial and error to set the gunsight position, and it can't be set accurately in some planes.

With TIR on you can only move your virtual head position by moving your actual head in relation to the camera. It's not like AH2. It works differently in AH3 and you set it differently.

With TIR on move your actual head to see the gunsight picture you want, press F10. Sit normally. It's that quick and easy. Works with every aircraft.

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2016, 09:51:27 AM »
Doesn't work that way for me.

With TIR enabled I move my head to change the sight picture, then hit F10 and the "position" jumps beyond what where it was.  When I move my head back to "neutral" the sight picture is not what it was when I hit F10.

Maybe something about my TIR setup.
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2016, 10:08:11 AM »

Do you uses 6 or 3 axis TIR.

And head will not move do you mean with keys or with TIR?

HiTech