Author Topic: 8 core / 16 core monster gaming rig  (Read 3770 times)

Offline flyndung

• Copper Member
Re: 8 core / 16 core monster gaming rig
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2016, 10:46:19 AM »
I might, but then again it's my video card that causes the most performance issues.

just about all C2D machines i get i upgrade now.. you can get the xeon and mod patch for less then 15.00 on ebay and according to the benchmarks the performace is close to a Core I3-2120

http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Xeon-E5450-vs-Intel-Core-i3-2120

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2016, 11:24:19 AM »
According to the source you provided I wouldn't gain anything by changing my E8500 to a Xeon E5450: http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Xeon-E5450-vs-Intel-Core2-Duo-E8500
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline flyndung

• Copper Member
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2016, 12:52:48 PM »
According to the source you provided I wouldn't gain anything by changing my E8500 to a Xeon E5450: http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Xeon-E5450-vs-Intel-Core2-Duo-E8500

if you look at the differences section you see a huge difference, the only place you really wouldn't see a difference is single core processing stuff. but you would gain another 6 megs of cache and 2 more cores.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2016, 12:56:36 PM by flyndung »

Offline aaronr

• Copper Member
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2016, 01:36:38 PM »
if you look at the differences section you see a huge difference, the only place you really wouldn't see a difference is single core processing stuff. but you would gain another 6 megs of cache and 2 more cores.
Bizmans statement was correct! in his case as far as this sim is concerned he will see little or NO difference the money would be better spent on beer.
Super fast single core performance on a core two duo  will KILL a mediocre Octo mega core water-cooled monster every time on this sim.
MOBO: Asus Z170 Pro Gaming, Win 7 Ult X64,  CPU:  i5 6600K @ 4.7  X 47 mult 1.25v core.
Enermax liquid cooling GFX: EVGA GTX 960 SSC 4 GB
PWR: Corsair RM750i RAM: DDR4 Patriot 2800 8GB X 2
Prime 95 12 hrs max temp 66c

Offline flyndung

• Copper Member
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2016, 01:55:50 PM »
Bizmans statement was correct! in his case as far as this sim is concerned he will see little or NO difference the money would be better spent on beer.
Super fast single core performance on a core two duo  will KILL a mediocre Octo mega core water-cooled monster every time on this sim.

well for what your paying .. less then 15.00 for the chip and the mod, its the best way to max out a old 775 socket.

Offline Ramesis

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2016, 03:24:30 PM »
I only play WoT and AH so I really don't see much point
in multicores... yes, I run a quad core processor but as far
as I can see, the difference is negligablefor the online games I play anyway  :furious
BUT... I bought it just in case  :D
Ram
"Would you tell me, please,
 which way I ought to go from here?
 That depends a good deal on where
 you want to get to. Said the cat."
    Charles Lutwidge Dodgson a.k.a. Lewis Carroll

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2016, 09:48:31 AM »

well for what your paying .. less then 15.00 for the chip and the mod, its the best way to max out a old 775 socket.
Where can you find the chip for less than 15.00? The mod seems to be .90 posted, but for what I could quickly find the 3 GHz cpu's were about 80.
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2016, 12:56:17 PM »
Heh, they either don't send them here or the mailing cost is double the price of the cpu.  :D

Kotisivuni

Offline aaronr

• Copper Member
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2016, 04:49:25 PM »
MOBO: Asus Z170 Pro Gaming, Win 7 Ult X64,  CPU:  i5 6600K @ 4.7  X 47 mult 1.25v core.
Enermax liquid cooling GFX: EVGA GTX 960 SSC 4 GB
PWR: Corsair RM750i RAM: DDR4 Patriot 2800 8GB X 2
Prime 95 12 hrs max temp 66c

Offline flyndung

• Copper Member
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2016, 04:50:42 PM »
Heh, they either don't send them here or the mailing cost is double the price of the cpu.  :D

i just noticed you was in finland, i'm sorry :( maybe if you wanted them you could have someone from the US get them and ship them too you .. not sure if thats economical or not for you. i was just simply saying for someone in that wanted to max out thier 775 socket , and not pay the 775 quad price.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2016, 04:53:59 PM »
I would never buy a CPU off of ebay.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline flyndung

• Copper Member
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2016, 11:49:19 PM »

why?? i have never had a problem with buying CPU's off ebay i think i have bought over 100+ cpus and never has one been bad.

Offline BoilerDown

• Silver Member
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2016, 08:43:10 PM »

I've already done it and it was well worth it.  I've linked this before way back in April, but here's a great reddit thread on this:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Twitch/comments/47bzdc/budget_friendly_secondary_streaming_pc_guide

That said, this is not ideal for a gaming rig (unless your current rig kinda sucks, and even then, you can do better for gaming for the money unless you already have the motherboard).  This is an encoding rig.  Or whatever else needs a lot of CPU cores, which doesn't mean gaming (gaming needs single core speed and mostly tops out at two cores). 

Although, it seems that Overwatch is more threaded than most, and Star Citizen is going to be highly threaded, and this may be a trend going forwards, so there's that.  Also if you intend to stream via OBS to Twitch, you could do a lot worse.

Anyways, the CPUs are the easiest part, the hard part is finding the motherboard for a palatable price.  Once these CPUs got dumped on the used market, the motherboards got bought up.  So if you intend to do this, get the motherboard first, CPU second, or don't bother.  Look for people upgrading their X79-based systems and not realizing the X79 motherboard is still valuable.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 09:08:25 PM by BoilerDown »
Boildown

This is the Captain.  We have a lil' problem with our entry sequence so we may experience some slight turbulence and then... explode.

Boildown is Twitching: http://www.twitch.tv/boildown

Offline flyndung

• Copper Member
« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2016, 07:01:12 AM »
I've already done it and it was well worth it.  I've linked this before way back in April, but here's a great reddit thread on this:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Twitch/comments/47bzdc/budget_friendly_secondary_streaming_pc_guide

That said, this is not ideal for a gaming rig (unless your current rig kinda sucks, and even then, you can do better for gaming for the money unless you already have the motherboard).  This is an encoding rig.  Or whatever else needs a lot of CPU cores, which doesn't mean gaming (gaming needs single core speed and mostly tops out at two cores). 

Although, it seems that Overwatch is more threaded than most, and Star Citizen is going to be highly threaded, and this may be a trend going forwards, so there's that.  Also if you intend to stream via OBS to Twitch, you could do a lot worse.

Anyways, the CPUs are the easiest part, the hard part is finding the motherboard for a palatable price.  Once these CPUs got dumped on the used market, the motherboards got bought up.  So if you intend to do this, get the motherboard first, CPU second, or don't bother.  Look for people upgrading their X79-based systems and not realizing the X79 motherboard is still valuable.

GREAT POINTS!