Author Topic: 8 core / 16 core monster gaming rig  (Read 3836 times)

Offline flyndung

• Copper Member
8 core / 16 core monster gaming rig
« on: October 13, 2016, 01:20:09 PM »

i hear the Xeon E5-2670 for 75.00 is a great deal for a 2011 socket cpu
« Last Edit: October 13, 2016, 01:23:26 PM by flyndung »

Offline Ramesis

• Silver Member
Re: 8 core / 16 core monster gaming rig
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2016, 01:33:35 PM »
Hmmm... at what point (for this game specifically) is more better?
Ram
"Would you tell me, please,
 which way I ought to go from here?
 That depends a good deal on where
 you want to get to. Said the cat."
    Charles Lutwidge Dodgson a.k.a. Lewis Carroll

Offline flyndung

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2016, 01:38:02 PM »
yes. many people had ask questions about low cost gaming machines and things like this .. this a  great budget PC and being a socket 2011 very upgradeable still ..

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2016, 01:48:11 PM »
I doubt much gaming is going to benefit from multicores, let alone 16 cores.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2016, 02:03:03 PM »
If it runs at 3 GHz or more and costs next to nothing, as long as there's more than one core it's good.

Several cores can make a game run more fluently by taking the load off the very cores that are needed for the game itself. Let's say your game runs on two cores and you'd like to run Teamspeak, TrackIR, Antivirus, inspirational music etc. in the background. By addressing them to run on the "free" cores might help with petite freezes and such.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline flyndung

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2016, 02:16:13 PM »
If it runs at 3 GHz or more and costs next to nothing, as long as there's more than one core it's good.

Several cores can make a game run more fluently by taking the load off the very cores that are needed for the game itself. Let's say your game runs on two cores and you'd like to run Teamspeak, TrackIR, Antivirus, inspirational music etc. in the background. By addressing them to run on the "free" cores might help with petite freezes and such.

i agree .. i run a I7-2600 3.4ghz system and it still does everythingi want it to do it just running a old LGA1155 socket with no real upgrade path. 

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2016, 09:16:02 PM »

In theory. Windows itself isn't great at core management, and most games are not either.

I understand how multicore works, the systems I work on run anything from 2 to 192 cores. But we run a specialized OS and software for that.

I just don't see the advantage right now (beyond 2 cores) until the OS and software really support it.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2016, 09:38:14 PM »
The Battlefield series is the only game I know of that will even use more than two cores, so don't buy more cores for gaming unless Battlefield is important to you.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline flyndung

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2016, 05:43:50 AM »
i dont thing its such much the core but the huge price/performance cause the chips are so chip and its still running a modern chipset/chip

also if you already have a LGA2011 motherboard it maybe a great chip upgrade,
« Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 05:46:35 AM by flyndung »

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2016, 07:26:38 AM »
Some newer game titles actually use more than 2 cores, the old game-engines dd not support more than 2.
My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2016, 07:57:48 AM »
In theory. Windows itself isn't great at core management, and most games are not either.

I understand how multicore works, the systems I work on run anything from 2 to 192 cores. But we run a specialized OS and software for that.

I just don't see the advantage right now (beyond 2 cores) until the OS and software really support it.

If Windows can't manage cores - which doesn't surprise me - you can always set the affinity by hand in the Task Manager.

And as I said, it really doesn't matter how many cores you have if the speed of a single core is fast enough. I understood this thread is about saving money when buying a relatively modern processor.
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2016, 08:39:43 AM »
It's been a pleasant surprise how good my ancient two core I3-2120 is still keeping up with my gaming demands these days  :old:
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2016, 09:51:49 AM »
Ancient? What would you call my Core2Duo E8500 then?

Kotisivuni

Offline flyndung

• Copper Member
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2016, 11:44:23 PM »
Ancient? What would you call my Core2Duo E8500 then?

you may be a good candidate for a 775 to 771 mod C2D E8500 to a Xeon quad core E5450 3.0gh/12meg cache/1333FBS

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2016, 07:11:32 AM »
you may be a good candidate for a 775 to 771 mod C2D E8500 to a Xeon quad core E5450 3.0gh/12meg cache/1333FBS

I might, but then again it's my video card that causes the most performance issues.

Kotisivuni