Author Topic: A good night to reflect on NFL football  (Read 5287 times)

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
Re: A good night to reflect on NFL football
« Reply #60 on: December 25, 2016, 03:56:06 PM »
It is time for the December Dallas Dump.  They will not win another game for the rest of the year and will lose the first game of the playoffs.  It does not matter who the quarterback is.  This is what the Cowboys do.

From what I can see they have one weakness. They give up to many yards against the pass. They are murder to run on but their pass defense can hurt them. Even if things go right that can hurt them when they eventually have to play NE. I dont even like the match up vs GB. Im sure a lot of it is teams throwing like hell cause they are losing and cant run against them. They dont give up the points but they do give up the yards. Must be a lot of cover-2 being played.

I dont see anyone in the NFC beating them. My gut tells me they will be in Houston in Feb.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #61 on: December 26, 2016, 12:52:46 PM »
Well, I have to eat some crow.  They broke the dreaded December curse.  I wish they did not get a "bye" in the first round of the playoffs though.  They seem to need a steady rhythm to maintain themselves.

The Falcons could give them fits.  The Giants, if they manage to hang on, would absolutely give them fits.  Should be good games though.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline BoilerDown

• Silver Member
« Reply #62 on: December 26, 2016, 05:57:15 PM »
Lions lost to the Giants, time to make it up vs. the Cowboys tonight!  Also a shot at getting a first round bye would be nice.  Or just finishing ahead of the Seahawks so there's no chance of a playoff game there.
Boildown

This is the Captain.  We have a lil' problem with our entry sequence so we may experience some slight turbulence and then... explode.

Boildown is Twitching: http://www.twitch.tv/boildown

Offline Biggamer

• Nickel Member
« Reply #63 on: December 26, 2016, 08:52:08 PM »
GO STEELERS!
G3-MF

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #64 on: December 27, 2016, 04:01:51 AM »
Lions lost to the Giants, time to make it up vs. the Cowboys tonight!
I have some bad news...
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Online Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #65 on: December 27, 2016, 04:50:29 PM »
WTH who let the Browns win....... dang it.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #66 on: December 29, 2016, 09:43:29 PM »
We (Vikings) blew up like an AHI toolshed.   :frown:
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #67 on: December 30, 2016, 12:47:43 PM »
We (Vikings) blew up like an AHI toolshed.   :frown:

At least you can be glad to have traded for Sam Bradford.   :D
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #68 on: December 31, 2016, 07:40:00 PM »
At least you can be glad to have traded for Sam Bradford.   :D

I have no regrets about the Bradford trade.
He has more then proven he can be effective when he is given the time. ad considering Its still pretty doubtful Teddy will be ready to start the beginning of next year if ever again. A number 1 pick isnt that bad when you get someone who has shown he can play.
Take a good look at how many first round QBs have been selected that arent even in the league anymore let alone starting.

Bradford problem int he past is he played on really cr@ppy teams and had no surrounding cast. as well as injuries.

Considering as of this last game (green bay) The Vikes started their 7th offensive line combination of the season and a left tackle (TJ Clemmings) that not only couldnt block anyone that isnt in a wheelchair but probably would struggle with someone actually IN a wheelchair. and at one point they were playing their 4th string tackle And he is literally on his second offensive coordinator of the season. And no run game, Bradford has played amazingly well.(literally, historically well technically)
 I doubt Favre, Brady,Rogers,Tarkenton, Or, anyone with the last name of Manning would have done any better

In all of their 8 losses, the Vikings were in the game down to the last series in 4 of them losing by 6 points or less in 2 of those and in 3 points or less in the other 2

11/06 Lions (the game I attended) 22-16 in overtime
11/23  Redskins 26-20
11/24 Lions 16-13
12-01 Dallas  17-15 (A game they won in almost every statistical category  but the score)

In their other 4 losses they were only blown out twice

12/18 against the Colts 34-6
12/24 against the Pack 38-25

The other 2 they lost by 11 and 10 points.

10/23 Eagles 21-10
10/31 Bears 20-10

The Vikes have had their woes for certain. but it can be argued that they realistically should have won in the first 4 losses listed when you consider 3 of their first 5 wins were whippings of playoff bound teams.
 Giants 24-10 and the first meeting with Green Bay 21-17 (7 of the Giants  and Green Bay points came in 4th qtr junk time) and the Texans 31-13

And other losses were against teams they should have easily beaten

I've been both fortunate and unfortunate enough to have been able to watch every play this team has played this season. (with one to go)

When Bradford has been given the time to throw he has proven himself to be nothing less then a very good and VERY accurate passer capable of putting the ball all over the field
The problem is the O line. and of that nobody deserves more blame then Clemmings.
This may be a team sport. And for certain there have been mistakes made by most of the players, sometimes at critical moments. But there hasnt been a single player twho has consistently screwed up other then Clemmings.  No single individual player has consistently done more to cost this team wins, to give up more sacks to commit more penalties at critical moments then Clemmings.

In the end though realistically. The accumulation of both game and season long injuries from the starting QB, to virtually the entire first and second string of the O line, hell even Zimmer was only working with one eye for a few weeks.
It was all just too much to overcome.

None of that is the blame of Bradford. Or even Zimmer.  Both of whom I think deserve a ton of credit. Bradford for surviving and playing better then anyone realistically had a right to expect. And Zimmer who managed to keep his team close to winning most games. This team had every reason to fall apart very early in the year and didn't.
I give the team a lot of credit for not doing a Full Metal Jacket Pvt Pyle like soap in a sock beating on Clemmings. He certainly deserves it.

If there is top of the turd pile blame to be had. it falls not on Zimmer. But on Spielman  For virtually ignoring the O Line with early picks for nearly 10 years. spielman has picked only 2 offensive lineman within the first 3 rounds since 2007. Matt Kalil (starting left tackle out due to injury) and Phil Loadholt who retired in July due to injury.

« Last Edit: December 31, 2016, 07:43:47 PM by DREDIOCK »
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #69 on: January 02, 2017, 03:04:39 AM »
I've been both fortunate and unfortunate enough to have been able to watch every play this team has played this season. (with one to go)

I've watched (painfully) since they entered the league.

The problem is the O line. and of that nobody deserves more blame then Clemmings.
This may be a team sport. And for certain there have been mistakes made by most of the players, sometimes at critical moments. But there hasnt been a single player twho has consistently screwed up other then Clemmings.  No single individual player has consistently done more to cost this team wins, to give up more sacks to commit more penalties at critical moments then Clemmings.

Nope.  It's Tony Sparano and it's funny no one mentions it.  He's absolutely mis-managed the offensive line.  He let Loadholt retire (maybe he would have anyway), decided a declining Andre Smith was an adequate substitute (likely a shared decision with Spielman and Zimmer), released John Sullivan, promoting Joe Berger who had been the best interior back-up in the NFL to replace him (thereby reducing line depth), had Spielman's ear in the hiring of Boone (who's contract we're now stuck with... BTW did you notice the holes in the defense today with Berger at LG instead of Boone?), cut Austin Smith who'd played sparingly at LT in 2015 then resigned him to the practice squad never activating him and I wouldn't doubt played a role in Mike Harris staying away from the team all season (but that's pure speculation).  I could continue but I'll spare you (where the hell did Carter Bykowski go?).

What was his thing in the pre-season... he wanted to see players that could "dent someone"?  LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

TJ's not great at RT.  He's poor at LT but give him a break.  Look to his leadership.  If you put guys into situations they can't handle then you haven't done your job as a coach.

If there is top of the turd pile blame to be had. it falls not on Zimmer. But on Spielman  For virtually ignoring the O Line with early picks for nearly 10 years. spielman has picked only 2 offensive lineman within the first 3 rounds since 2007. Matt Kalil (starting left tackle out due to injury) and Phil Loadholt who retired in July due to injury.

I agree with you on with Spielman but Zimmer's equally culpable.  They've picked largely defensive players in the upper rounds since his arrival.  Spielman's mid to late round approach to the OL is showing up on gameday.   That said last year Detroit got the guy we needed (Taylor Decker) simply because they picked ahead of us then Green Bay traded to get ahead of us in the second round to get what should have been our plan B option (Jason Spriggs).  Spielman's a good talent evaluator but his weaknesses are the O line and wide receiver's.  Too bad that now he's got Tony Sapano in his ear and not Norv Turner.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2017, 03:11:51 AM by BaldEagl »
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member
« Reply #70 on: January 02, 2017, 03:36:20 AM »
But have you seen it: Packers are running the ball  :confused:
And look at this, how did he got away with that???
http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2017010102/2016/REG17/packers@lions#menu=gameinfo%7CcontentId%3A0ap3000000767836&tab=videos
''The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge'' - Stephen Hawking

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #71 on: January 02, 2017, 08:18:16 AM »
I've watched (painfully) since they entered the league.

Nope.  It's Tony Sparano and it's funny no one mentions it.  He's absolutely mis-managed the offensive line.  He let Loadholt retire (maybe he would have anyway), decided a declining Andre Smith was an adequate substitute (likely a shared decision with Spielman and Zimmer), released John Sullivan, promoting Joe Berger who had been the best interior back-up in the NFL to replace him (thereby reducing line depth), had Spielman's ear in the hiring of Boone (who's contract we're now stuck with... BTW did you notice the holes in the defense today with Berger at LG instead of Boone?), cut Austin Smith who'd played sparingly at LT in 2015 then resigned him to the practice squad never activating him and I wouldn't doubt played a role in Mike Harris staying away from the team all season (but that's pure speculation).  I could continue but I'll spare you (where the hell did Carter Bykowski go?).

What was his thing in the pre-season... he wanted to see players that could "dent someone"?  LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

TJ's not great at RT.  He's poor at LT but give him a break.  Look to his leadership.  If you put guys into situations they can't handle then you haven't done your job as a coach.

I agree with you on with Spielman but Zimmer's equally culpable.  They've picked largely defensive players in the upper rounds since his arrival.  Spielman's mid to late round approach to the OL is showing up on gameday.   That said last year Detroit got the guy we needed (Taylor Decker) simply because they picked ahead of us then Green Bay traded to get ahead of us in the second round to get what should have been our plan B option (Jason Spriggs).  Spielman's a good talent evaluator but his weaknesses are the O line and wide receiver's.  Too bad that now he's got Tony Sapano in his ear and not Norv Turner.

Been a fan since 72 or 3. I forget.

Loadholt was gone regardless, Sullivan was at best a crapshoot with his injury problems, and one of the things lost in all this is we are still waiting to hear exactly what the hell happened to Mike Harris which still remains a mystery (non football related injury)

For sure the coaching has to take some heat for it. But to blame it on Tony Sparano? Im not a HUGE Sparano fan but thats just silly. He was only brought in this off season and the line problems extend to last season as well. Coaches no matter how good can only work with what they have. Since we have had two line coaches in as many years. You have to look at the players.

And c'mon. Clemmings  has only been marginally better at right tackle then left, And thats being generous as he has sucked almost as much at right tackle. And its not just his ability to block but penalties also as well as overall effort. There were times this year I didnt even see much in the way of effort either. Those latter two arent the coaches fault. Beyond that. He obviously doesnt have the speed to play either tackle position. Its not just his footwork or technique (as the coaches have been claiming)
What I do blame the coaches for is not moving Boone to the outside and giving that a shot. Or giving anything else a try instead of simply sticking with Clemmings who obviously cant cut it. At least at the Tackle position.

The left tackle position yesterday was night and day from Clemmings play to that of Hill. Overall I thought the entire  line played better yesterday. But none stood out more then that of Clemmings replacement

Boones play has been....adequate. But not as great as we would have hoped.

Still. The list of injuries on the line cant be ignored. We dont know how well this line would have played had it been able to remain relatively healthy. In a correction to my last post. 9 different line combinations (not 7) they've started this year due to injuries. Thats absurd. O Line isnt just an individual thing which is why it usually takes the offense longer to come together then a defense. and still. Even with a patchwork line. No linemans play has been worse on a consistent basis then Clemmings

Yes Zimmerman deserves his share of blame but bottom line is Spielman is the GM. Not Zimmer. (didnt we do this once with Chilly already?) Spielman is supposed to be in charge of getting players. Or at least act as a brake and voice of reason on the coach. And word has it that Zimmer didnt even want Alexander but was talked into it by Spielman.
so cant even blame all the early defensive picks on Zimmer either

Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #72 on: January 03, 2017, 07:36:18 AM »
Key starters out for Hawks (Earl Thomas, Lockett) combined with a pathetic offensive line....
I don't think the team makes it past the 2nd round.
Hell, Detroit might knock us out the 1st round!

:mad:

Offline Lazerr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #73 on: January 07, 2017, 03:06:44 AM »
go greenbay..

time to show you guys yet again, what a superbowl run looks like...

be afraid... he is a badddddddd man  :rolleyes: :cheers:

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #74 on: January 07, 2017, 01:33:38 PM »
Would like to see the Steelers win it all, but I'm not sure it will happen.

I would also like to see the Falcons go for the NFC, I think they are sleepers this year. I mean, you can't blow it in the playoffs every year right?
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!