Author Topic: An odd question from an old, cartoon bomber pilot.  (Read 2649 times)

Offline Beefcake

• Gold Member
An odd question from an old, cartoon bomber pilot.
« on: October 19, 2016, 03:26:29 AM »
Why is it when I get attacked that most people always go for the lead aircraft? I never understand it because when you attack the lead (and most attack from dead 6) you're flying into the center of a bombers field of fire. I know I'm an old, stupid, cartoon bomber pilot but I always wonder why people do that and not attack the drones since attacking the drones means your usually not in the center of the cone of fire.
Retired Bomber Dweeb - 71 "Eagle" Squadron RAF

Offline Zardoz

• Copper Member
Re: An odd question from an old, cartoon bomber pilot.
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2016, 10:46:55 AM »
That's a good question. I will be very interested where this one leads.
Your incessant whining just adds entertainment value to my gaming experience :cool:

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2016, 10:53:00 AM »
Beats me, I usually go after the drones first that very reason. :)
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2016, 10:54:38 AM »
From the 6 it really does not matter center or drone.  But if you hit the center rear gun that that does make a difference.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2016, 11:01:32 AM »
I had never thought of that, it is much better to go for the drones.

HiTech

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2016, 11:04:41 AM »
if close to a base killing the lead done forces him to calibrate again.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Lazerr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2016, 11:13:12 AM »
With the angle of attack I use on buffs,  going for the center plane first makes transitioning to a shot on a drone easier,  many times severely damaging or killing two in one pass.

Also drones warping was a huge problem for awhile,  so I adapted to shooting the plane I knew wasnt going to jump around on me.

Offline Slate

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2016, 11:16:55 AM »
  If you can get a quick kill on lead bomber it takes a second or to for them to orientate to next drone. Still attacking from a level 6 will get you killed most times. Even Lancasters seem deadlier in AH3. (Landed 2 kills last night)  :ahand

Most good attackers will come from a high perch anywhere but 6.   :noid :airplane:
I always wanted to fight an impossible battle against incredible odds.

Offline dmdchief

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2016, 11:18:35 AM »
 drones warping was a huge problem for awhile,  so I adapted to shooting the plane I knew wasnt going to jump around on me.
[/quote] that is the reason I started targeting the lead first then sliding over the left one as it took lead
salute
ab8aac
HAVE THE COURAGE TO STEP UP AND LEAD AND THE PUBLIC WILL FOLLOW

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2016, 11:18:54 AM »
When I go for bombers, I tend to go after the drones first for the reasons Lazer mentions.  Also, you're not coming in straight at the one that's shooting at you.

Sometimes there is an advantage to going for the lead though.  If you happen to wound it and take out an engine or two, this slows down the entire formation.  If it's shaping up to be a long chase, that can make a difference.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2016, 11:18:57 AM »
Lot of variables on this one. First never ever approach from dead six. I like to slash down into the bombers from the side then pop back up and repeat from other side. Usually the drones are what is hit. If they are about to drop then tag the lead bomber to mess up drop.  The one exception to hitting drones is the bomber guys who have mastered the rubber band drones. If they are maneuvering hard then often times the lead is the only safe target as drones can snap around the sky on their invisible tether causing a collision hazard. Top down is also a great approach with the drones being the focus.
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2016, 11:42:37 AM »
If I attack the lead, I am disrupting you for a little. You may spiral out if I get your wing and be unable to shoot back. If you're in the side drones gunning, then you are at a disadvantage for adjusting laterally to my attack angles. If I take you out when somebody else is gunning, I can disrupt your aim if you're in the bombsite, or looking at your map, or any number of things.

On occasion I do (did) focus on picking off a drone first if the other considerations didn't dictate my preferred target. I would do THAT if I felt that the pilot wasn't flying carefully and if I felt wounding a drone would make the lead expand the trailing distance and pop it. Or, if I felt the pilot/gunner was less experienced and gunning from the lead, and then I would use that to make him have to adjust his angles laterally to cope with my attack angles not being directly head-on to his perspective.

Both are perfectly valid, and both can be used, but sometimes one or the other is the better choice given all the variables at play.

Offline ROC

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2016, 11:51:48 AM »
Beefcake.  Bomber Pilot for the Allies in this Saturdays 12 Hour Scenario.
I always wonder why people do that and not attack the drones since attacking the drones means your usually not in the center of the cone of fire.

HiTech.  Co.CO for the Axis who will be shooting said bombers down.
I had never thought of that, it is much better to go for the drones.

HiTech

Thanks Beefaroni!!
ROC
Nothing clever here.  Please, move along.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2016, 11:53:14 AM »
When he's about to drop on a CV, go for the lead bombers wingtip.
A drone with a wingtip removed simply explodes. A lead with half a wing will start to veer. Most of the time the player tries to fight this instead of bailing ASAP. Either way, it messes up his bomb run much more than just removing a drone.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Driver

• Zinc Member
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2016, 12:04:23 PM »
I also never really thought about it but I guessed that if you took out the lead aircraft it might mess up his calibration and he would have to recalibrate when moving to the next aircraft.

this is a good point and I will make an effort to attack the drone first and see what happens. I always get shot down anyway cause I'm a crappy aim and have trouble coming in at angels.  :frown:

:salute
The old shall overcome youth, ability and talent by decit, treachery and wickedness