Author Topic: Radeon Graphics Card & Windows 10 Fatal Error  (Read 1677 times)

Offline DubiousKB

• Silver Member
Radeon Graphics Card & Windows 10 Fatal Error
« on: October 27, 2016, 10:50:45 AM »
Hello all, i recently got my father into this game (hook, line, and sinker addicted), and he loves it! My mother not so much as the old guy enjoys yelling at the computer.  :devil

Here's the problem, he's been experiencing a fatal error/crash during his AH3 gameplay. I have experienced it from his command seat so can confirm it's not just his's lack of computer knowledge.

The computer completely locks up solid with an odd white screen; only way to gain control of computer again is a hard power cycle. Not good. I will be traveling out as the computer technician this weekend to work on the issue.

I was curious to know what kinds of information I need to be providing here?  :salute

56th Fighter Group -  Jug Life

Offline DubiousKB

• Silver Member
Re: Radeon Graphics Card & Windows 10 Fatal Error
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2016, 10:57:02 AM »
Friday Evening I will be able to get access to his computer and all relevant details. He is using a USB headset and mic, I will take out a 3.5mm headset to remove the USB as a potential issue.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2016, 10:59:53 AM »
DXDiag output including the sound devices is a good start. The exact model of the video card, too, since DxDiag only tells the family. The brand and model of the power supply. With all that it will be much easier to help you.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline DubiousKB

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2016, 11:14:33 AM »
How do i obtain the DXDIAG output?

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2016, 11:30:00 AM »
 Open run,then type Dxdiag copy first 1/3 from top or so and attach it.

:salute

Offline DubiousKB

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2016, 11:33:45 AM »
Open run,then type Dxdiag copy first 1/3 from top or so and attach it.
:salute

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2016, 12:18:57 PM »
What Bizman/morfiend said.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Shriike

• Zinc Member
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2016, 07:21:15 PM »
I have included the full DXdiag after OS restoration and the film from my first test run online.

DubiousKB had to clean the internals as he said some of my failures could have been due to my "gpu" overheating?

The film is from the DX11 version. Note; film is of DubiousKB testing on his account with a left handed joystick.

We will continue to test on and offline, but any obvious issues?   

(Also using DubiousKB's monitor for above dxdiag and testing; only hardware difference in latest setup vs original problematic state)
« Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 07:23:17 PM by Shriike »

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2016, 06:07:52 AM »
You have 3 audio devices installed.  The onboard sound chip, the USB sound device, and the ATI/AMD HDMI pass-through audio driver.  Disable the AMD/ATI driver if you are not expecting audio through the speakers on a television.

I also noted the DPI of the system is set to 150%.  That could be a problem and may be related to the Windows 10 issues with its dynamic DPI adjustments.  There have been a lot of problems with that new system in Windows 10.  Microsoft is still trying to fix it.

I noted the monitor is a 4K monitor, but the video card is a 200 series AMD card.  What model of the 200 series is it?
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline DubiousKB

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2016, 10:45:55 AM »
I suspected some audio/USB issues with his unit. i'll confirm the video card model tonight when back in front of the system. (I think it's a 290)

He does not use his monitor as an audio device (keep in mind that the 4k monitor shown on DXdiag is mine as I have his system setup in my office for the testing/repair)

I will disable the ATI/AMD HDMI pass-through audio drive, and re-post a film?  ( I did notice the ol' micro-freeze / stutter during vox transmission on that first run film) .. Please do not pay attention to the multiple times I auto-took off into the shed.... :salute

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2016, 06:43:08 AM »
Be sure to disable all the power management.  Windows 10 does not recognize games as being active applications and it WILL disable the USB bus, while you are playing.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline DubiousKB

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2016, 08:39:20 AM »
Hope your turkey day was good sir!   

Where would I disable the power management you speak of in regards to the USB bus? Device Manager?

Reading other threads has been a big help, but still need to execute the changes described above and test again. I think i've got a baseline to where I'll be taking Shriike's unit back to him.  This way we have his monitor connected again to show final hardware setup.

Thanks for the suggestions, I will implement and test!

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2016, 09:56:34 AM »
Device Manager is the correct answer. There's a tab for power management for each and every device concerned.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline DubiousKB

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2016, 11:48:29 AM »
Excellent, thanks for the help... Now to make it so....

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2016, 06:44:21 PM »
I hope all the suggestions help but I am afraid the problem is one HTC has not been able to solve.  I have had two freezes today already.

My best advice is to try to push the card hard by using the clipboard sliders in the graphic section.  Try to see how far to the right you can go and still meet the FPS you want.  That reduces the number of freezes at least.  Not sure why.

I have experimented with the AMD audio drivers and on my system having them installed or not installed makes no difference.

Do make sure you the latest amd drivers and make sure you uninstall the old ones before installing the new ones.