Author Topic: How to fix the zero fight country???  (Read 9453 times)

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
Re: How to fix the zero fight country???
« Reply #45 on: November 13, 2016, 06:04:53 PM »

Nope, the center crater stays as it is and I may even make the cloud layer 2000ft just because.

You obviously have never built a terrain like 98% of the loudest experts in this forum on how Hitech must change the game to make it a 21st century gaming utopia. The terrain editor is in the Aces High III directory when you install the game and it's a freebee on top of that. I've taken 15 years of listening to players while they play the game into more consideration than the small number of experts in these forums who have never created a terrain. There are a whole lot more of them than the forum experts and they don't come to the forum even to complain or give feed back.

This is exactly like the problem when you are in the editor and make something that looks really neat. Then you log into the arena and it's really a confusing crap looking thing that will drive players out of the arena. It looked real good on paper and failed in real application when it was tested. Yes I have to test all of my ideas and start over with about 20% of them after I log in to test them.

It's amazing some of the insightful random comments all of those skilless deplorable bubbas in the arena make about play ability of each terrain. All while they are suffering it's design mistakes to have a few hours of fun. Still, I suspect many of this audience squelches them for being what they are as S.O.P. from what I've read over the years in these forums.

There is no place to hide on that terrain for very long. No advantage in field alt where most of the fighter action will be. And the bowl design, 23,000ft barrier range, will make finding 99% of them a no brainer. Especially everyone who will try to grief that center island one way or another. I get the cloud layer coverage right, 30k bomber guys will have practiced offline for a long time to hit anything through the clouds. I designed it so the very skilled can thread the needle of those peaks and not decorate either of the two caldera walls. But, while giving everyone with a machine gun that can point up a chance to bag a few planes for their trouble. It will probably become the most blind aimed through clouds bombed spot on the map....and a lone wolf fighter dinner bell to pick easy targets. That's why the tiny GV bases are only un-capturable instead of my original plan to put three AAA bases on the island and six GV bases. And when someone gets a CV into the center, it will be a short period of random pandemonium until it gets sunk. Hiding CVs in your country's back channel ring segment only makes it a long range bomber mission to sink it.

The only thing I cannot do is make people want to up and fight, and I don't think Hitech can do that either, and he's had 20 years to come up with a way. At least during prime time bases are close enough on this terrain that fights will happen organically. And reducing the AAA field coverage for the HQ and city to one base each with the 163 field near by should attract the bomber guys and HQ defender type players. Resupply will be easy, so no Fester map kinds of all night lights out scenario. I think resupply of those two will be by C47 but, I'll put in sand roads for any intrepid M3 who want race that distance. And you can get an M3 up to a good pace on a sand road in this game. 

I was trying to give you some props, but apparently you can't handle a few suggestions. For some reason you can't fathom why the #s have dropped, and can't realize that the reason for it is pretty much the layout of the map. You can't tell me it doesn't make a difference. Ive been a top AH fighter for a long time and know exactly why people are having trouble finding excitement. I'm trying to give you my knowledge on how to actually create good fights on your maps, but instead you look at vets as a voice of unreason, when we are the ones who understand game play the best. We appreciate your ability to make the map, but why is accepting community input so unreasonable? When you realize that long time players are simply trying to make adjustments that would increase fights and make the game more actionable, you should utilize those suggestions because those are the examples of how to create better fights on your maps.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #46 on: November 13, 2016, 06:35:04 PM »
Odd..... But I believe there are not that many fights because y'all are on the boards instead of in the game. LOL
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #47 on: November 13, 2016, 06:38:29 PM »

I was trying to give you some props, but apparently you can't handle a few suggestions. For some reason you can't fathom why the #s have dropped, and can't realize that the reason for it is pretty much the layout of the map. You can't tell me it doesn't make a difference. Ive been a top AH fighter for a long time and know exactly why people are having trouble finding excitement. I'm trying to give you my knowledge on how to actually create good fights on your maps, but instead you look at vets as a voice of unreason, when we are the ones who understand game play the best. We appreciate your ability to make the map, but why is accepting community input so unreasonable? When you realize that long time players are simply trying to make adjustments that would increase fights and make the game more actionable, you should utilize those suggestions because those are the examples of how to create better fights on your maps.

You may be a " top AH fighter for a long time and know exactly why people are having trouble finding excitement"  :rolleyes: but you only "know" your type of play. The fighter jocks is a small percentage of players playing today. There are GVers, base takers, strat runners and so on and they make up the majority of the population. If you push the game to a more purely fighter game it will die far fast than you could believe.

The changes don't have to be drastic. At this point in the life of this game the players are happy to cut corners and run supplies or jump from gun to gun until and the guns are down on the field, then they get to complain about the vulchers  :rolleyes: They just have to make it so that players want to fight instead of cut corners. Be it point wise, perk wise or ease of getting what ever aspect they are after done a "carrot" has to be found to turn the type of play from avoidance to interaction.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #48 on: November 13, 2016, 06:44:49 PM »

You may be a " top AH fighter for a long time and know exactly why people are having trouble finding excitement"  :rolleyes: but you only "know" your type of play. The fighter jocks is a small percentage of players playing today. There are GVers, base takers, strat runners and so on and they make up the majority of the population. If you push the game to a more purely fighter game it will die far fast than you could believe.

The changes don't have to be drastic. At this point in the life of this game the players are happy to cut corners and run supplies or jump from gun to gun until and the guns are down on the field, then they get to complain about the vulchers  :rolleyes: They just have to make it so that players want to fight instead of cut corners. Be it point wise, perk wise or ease of getting what ever aspect they are after done a "carrot" has to be found to turn the type of play from avoidance to interaction.

This is true. That is why you have to wait for a WWII fighter game to come out that suits you better. Just like you did when you came here from the game you left.

It's bound to happen some time.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #49 on: November 13, 2016, 07:10:47 PM »
Odd..... But I believe there are not that many fights because y'all are on the boards instead of in the game. LOL

damn, you found me out, i just spent 5 hours here.  hadnt even think of logging in.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline JimmyC

• Platinum Member
« Reply #50 on: November 13, 2016, 07:15:41 PM »
I actually like the subtle change of captureable  Fighter bases with no town instead of Vbases on the center island of ndsile..(i think its the map)
for off peak times.. it was the only action on the map with lots of action, up to furbal.. no one around.. try to take the base.defense came, uppers upped  fight & deacking, vh..surpress. no easy task with low numbers but doable here..real short reup flight..danger close, esp with a 3rd country so near by ..landing a goon on a hot enemy airfeild.. good fun..lessx than 10 on each team.. but all in action almost ..was a lot of fun rather than a long drawn out ineffective low number drips and drabs to a field..
So .. for off peak, a little tweak and a lot of boxes ticked.. maybe all maps can have a little tweak here and there for close action, which will help the off time players have more fun..and be fun for all
2c deposited...
 :salute Jimmy
CO 71 "Eagle" Squadron RAF
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy."

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
« Reply #51 on: November 13, 2016, 07:24:31 PM »
Have you ever gone to a sector with no darbar then suddenly there were cons 5k above you?  Has happened to me...  Consider this, is possible there is a fight between two enemy bases and you aren't seeing the darbar (so you think there's no fight)?
Flying as AkMeathd - CO Arabian Knights
Working on my bbs cred one post at a time

http://www.arabian-knights.org

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #52 on: November 13, 2016, 07:33:48 PM »
Good news for AH3 terrain building and GVers.

There are tile sets in the terrain editor that are 4milex4mile with a different village in the center of each of the spare miles. I'm using one of the four villages as the center point for GV spawns to other bases. The reason is the diameter of the random spawn ring is the diameter of the village. The houses and other buildings cut down on the insta-death by spawn camp. I will venture trying to spawn camp in the village will now be rolling the dice for the spawn campers as much as the spawners. Part of why I build a sand road network between the village and the town\field\base. So here is one of the villages I use for spawn entry points hot out of the terrain editor. I just finished testing the spawn with a panther for random placement and any bugs with being placed in trees or buildings. As of yet I am not placed on any of the roads but always beside buildings in the grass.

I'm voting Hitech and Waffle once again listened to us and gave us the tools to fix issues like getting whacked repeatedly at a camped spawn. The best way to camp this village is with bombs, just like in WW2.

bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #53 on: November 13, 2016, 08:11:23 PM »

Your evidence is false based on the % of players. You can't lose 50% of the player base who were mostly fighters  because of game play direction, then say GVers and Bombers make up the majority of players. When you bring back the air combat aspect to the game you will gain a lot more players. There's no reason to scare that majority away.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline pembquist

• Silver Member
« Reply #54 on: November 13, 2016, 08:50:17 PM »
I think you guys are in danger of falling into a crab bucket. I don't think the low numbers are a function of terrain or gvs or bomb and bail or resupply or whatever. I think the low numbers are because a game population is like water in a pail with a hole in it, if you don't keep filling the pail eventually it runs dry. If you have a critical mass of players of the right age they probably draw in players on their own and maybe even help the water level rise but still the pail is always emptying and eventually that critical mass gets exhausted or exhausts its contacts and you need another source of water, much as I hate to say it you need marketing to keep the pail full.

And I want to add a big THANKYOU to Bustr for his work with terrains.
Pies not kicks.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #55 on: November 13, 2016, 09:48:20 PM »
Your evidence is false based on the % of players. You can't lose 50% of the player base who were mostly fighters  because of game play direction, then say GVers and Bombers make up the majority of players. When you bring back the air combat aspect to the game you will gain a lot more players. There's no reason to scare that majority away.

OK, back up your boast. If half the players have left that means there are over 1000 "fighter" guys that have left. Prove it, you couldn't even bring up 50 names let alone 1000. No, you are blind to game play in the MA. You said your self, "4. I don't know enough about strats and reupping since I don't normally have the time for all that. What I can tell you is that I don't think there should be a resupply option. Unless you just took a base and need to fix it. Or resupplying the HQ. Resupply is pretty much pointless and takes away the fight and point of the game." admitting you dont know about the strat side of the game. How many people do you think of the present population play for the starts? You dont know.

In the last 6 months you have 1 minute and 9 seconds of time in a GV. What is the percentage of players that play the GV side of the game? You don't know. How many base captures have you been in on? Im not talking about picking and vulching over a field that others are attacking and trying to capture, but those that you bring bombs to drop hanger, ord, deack wasting your ammo, or even clear GVs. Very few if any if I miss my guess.

You are a pure fighter guy. all you want to do is engage and kill. You don't care about the war, you dont care about defending, you dont care about attacking, only fighting and getting that kill count. If you dont play the other aspects of the game how can you possibly know enough to comment on it? You want a large group of guys who do nothing but fly strait to a point 5 miles from your field.....enough room to get your speed up, and then engage. As I have said before, build your own custom arena and if your right and there are SOOO many guys looking to do nothing but fight like you they will be waiting in line to get into your arena.

On the other hand HTC is here to make money on this deal. They have to cater to as wide a range of players as possible. Your suggestions would drive away far more players than it could possibly bring in. That is the balancing act HTC has to do. Sure they may lose 25 guys who want to do nothing but fight, but if they bring in 50 guys who want to bomb stuff, drive tanks into trees, resupply in jeeps and M3s, and shoot stuff from the safety of a field gun, then its a win for them. More options means more people, period.

The trick is to get them interested in the fight for these things, bases wins, defense or attack. It has to bemore productive to fight than the other options they use now.

Offline ACE

• Platinum Member
« Reply #56 on: November 14, 2016, 07:43:03 AM »
1. Lower mountains. It's a pain in the prettythang$ to have to climb up a mountain with 4 minutes of gas left after a fight on the deck. Makes getting picked very easy.

2. It's all about base distance. Being able to take off from a close back field is very good for defending against the hoard. This may stop or reduce a lot of hoard type game play.

3. Perk the P51, La7, 190D,  and Yak3. These planes really make the game play stale because they are planes that can escape any from of danger too easily. They make the fights boring. A small perk cost would make people consider upping higher eny planes, which would create much more fun and engaging fights. A small perk cost is really no big deal for the people who only fly them.

4. I don't know enough about strats and reupping since I don't normally have the time for all that. What I can tell you is that I don't think there should be a resupply option. Unless you just took a base and need to fix it. Or resupplying the HQ. Resupply is pretty much pointless and takes away the fight and point of the game.

5. Create a FFA arena on a very small map with a max of 16 players. Air spawns at 3K and have a rule board. This will create a fast action arena for people who don't have a lot of time.

6. Continue to create new maps. See which maps really work the best for the MA. Everyone loves new maps.

7. Try to create zone areas during off hours. It would really concentrate the action. This game is freaking hella fun with low #s if the action has to be concentrated. It would also help new players understand the game and get involved in fights.

These simple adjustments would make the fights more fun. There really needs to be a monitor in the MA to check the tempo of the action in certain time periods.

I see the same thing for people flying the 109K4. Perk it too. Not fair
Sixth Tri-Annual Dueling Bracket Champion

The Few

-Spek

Offline Someguy63

• Gold Member
« Reply #57 on: November 14, 2016, 07:58:49 AM »

Never. :)
Anarchy
#Taterz
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Imagination rules the world"

Offline ACE

• Platinum Member
« Reply #58 on: November 14, 2016, 08:20:08 AM »
Never. :)
Double edge sword ;). Try the G14 it's great :)
Sixth Tri-Annual Dueling Bracket Champion

The Few

-Spek

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #59 on: November 14, 2016, 09:51:16 AM »

I actually meant to include the K4, luckily though, the majority of people who do use it don't know how to aim properly hehehe.

OK, back up your boast. If half the players have left that means there are over 1000 "fighter" guys that have left. Prove it, you couldn't even bring up 50 names let alone 1000. No, you are blind to game play in the MA. You said your self, "4. I don't know enough about strats and reupping since I don't normally have the time for all that. What I can tell you is that I don't think there should be a resupply option. Unless you just took a base and need to fix it. Or resupplying the HQ. Resupply is pretty much pointless and takes away the fight and point of the game." admitting you dont know about the strat side of the game. How many people do you think of the present population play for the starts? You dont know.

In the last 6 months you have 1 minute and 9 seconds of time in a GV. What is the percentage of players that play the GV side of the game? You don't know. How many base captures have you been in on? Im not talking about picking and vulching over a field that others are attacking and trying to capture, but those that you bring bombs to drop hanger, ord, deack wasting your ammo, or even clear GVs. Very few if any if I miss my guess.

You are a pure fighter guy. all you want to do is engage and kill. You don't care about the war, you dont care about defending, you dont care about attacking, only fighting and getting that kill count. If you dont play the other aspects of the game how can you possibly know enough to comment on it? You want a large group of guys who do nothing but fly strait to a point 5 miles from your field.....enough room to get your speed up, and then engage. As I have said before, build your own custom arena and if your right and there are SOOO many guys looking to do nothing but fight like you they will be waiting in line to get into your arena.

On the other hand HTC is here to make money on this deal. They have to cater to as wide a range of players as possible. Your suggestions would drive away far more players than it could possibly bring in. That is the balancing act HTC has to do. Sure they may lose 25 guys who want to do nothing but fight, but if they bring in 50 guys who want to bomb stuff, drive tanks into trees, resupply in jeeps and M3s, and shoot stuff from the safety of a field gun, then its a win for them. More options means more people, period.

The trick is to get them interested in the fight for these things, bases wins, defense or attack. It has to bemore productive to fight than the other options they use now.

1. A lot of squads have disband. A lot of people got bored from slow game play and lack of fights. I don't have present #s to prove that. Just look at the ratio of fighters to Tankers/bombers on Lusches charts. This is not my opinion. That is reality.

2. As I mentioned, I said that Lusche and Lazer would be better to talk to about Strats and such. You don't realize that I do know how to play these other game types, they are just boring to me. I played the other game types in January, when I didn't have a Joystick or a job. I did very good. I know how this game play works, I just don't always have the time for it. So that's not my biggest concern.

3. The fighter base majority does make an impact and should not be ignored. Why do you want to remove the majority of the players for a minority when it's much more difficult to compete against other games aswell? Why not care if half the fighters leave to go play another game, while we are left with tankers and Bombers who don't even want to enjoy combat? This game has one of the best fighter aspects of any game, why crush that advantage?

If you are tired of seeing these types of threads, I as I am, I think there should be much more importance in retaining the fun fighter aspect to AH, or there won't be an increase in #s like you imagine. The only people left will be porkers and tankers, and you will see a boring afternoon game play like you have now. Do you succumb to that loss and give the minority the full attention even though #s aren't as strong? Or do you help resolve the fighter aspect to game, bring back fighter enthusiasm, and create better fights with more action all over the map? Why is that not a good option?
« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 09:56:55 AM by DmonSlyr »
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-