Author Topic: How to fix the zero fight country???  (Read 9468 times)

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Re: How to fix the zero fight country???
« Reply #60 on: November 14, 2016, 10:50:48 AM »
"Build a terrain instead of crying for HTC to fix the game" Why would I build a terrain just to have it used in a system I already think is broke??? A new terrain still faces the same major issue with lack of combat which is A. People worry too much about the land instead of the fight over it.....that's the root of the problem...my suggestions is to corner them so they have to fight in order to participate in the land grab portion of the game...which in a Combat simulator they should have to...if you don't agree with that...why are you playing a Combat simulator when Flight simulator is cheaper???

Is this a Combat simulator or Risk....having problems figuring it out. :rolleyes:
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #61 on: November 14, 2016, 10:52:34 AM »
Odd..... But I believe there are not that many fights because y'all are on the boards instead of in the game. LOL
I'm studying for the AT-SAT so when I do need to unwind I hop on when I can...unfortunately my last 3-4 times online have been lacking in action......that 12 hour scenario though....now that was awesome.
DFC Member
"Yikes"

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 14, 2016, 12:17:31 PM »
Odd..... But I believe there are not that many fights because y'all are on the boards instead of in the game. LOL

Even the boards have kinda died... ;)
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline SirNuke

• Silver Member
« Reply #63 on: November 14, 2016, 01:07:02 PM »
town ressup M3's have always been ridiculously OP

88's have always been the easy way out, no risks, no time spent, all benefits over getting a fighter.

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
« Reply #64 on: November 14, 2016, 01:38:54 PM »
Back to the OP.

Firstly this is nothing new..... In AW11 there was something called "Disney Town" when two sides battled over one of the extreme lakes and left the third in the cold.

So yes Terrain Design is and always has dictateded game play quality.

But I agree with the OP that base capture should be easier when no opposition is in play.....then the third country either captures its way to the fight or finds opposition building.

We have already heard conjecture from HTC that one day GGuns may only shoot the troops they can see.

We could go further and link the white flag condition to the number of defenders in play within a set distance from the map room. Such that the flag turns white quicker if the field is undefended for X seconds.

I would wish the GV fields  and ports were also linked to towns.

The horde is not in play when there are only 100 players in theatre and it should not be used to confuse this debate. There are other solutions for hordes if players numbers ever reach the dizzy heights of 250+ on line at a time.
Ludere Vincere

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #65 on: November 14, 2016, 01:47:25 PM »
Back to the OP.

Firstly this is nothing new..... In AW11 there was something called "Disney Town" when two sides battled over one of the extreme lakes and left the third in the cold.

So yes Terrain Design is and always has dictateded game play quality.

But I agree with the OP that base capture should be easier when no opposition is in play.....then the third country either captures its way to the fight or finds opposition building.

We have already heard conjecture from HTC that one day GGuns may only shoot the troops they can see.

We could go further and link the white flag condition to the number of defenders in play within a set distance from the map room. Such that the flag turns white quicker if the field is undefended for X seconds.

I would wish the GV fields  and ports were also linked to towns.

The horde is not in play when there are only 100 players in theatre and it should not be used to confuse this debate. There are other solutions for hordes if players numbers ever reach the dizzy heights of 250+ on line at a time.
Easy way to stop a horde problem is up a mass ord pork mission and disable ords on entire front...

"But I agree with the OP that base capture should be easier when no opposition is in play.....then the third country either captures its way to the fight or finds opposition building." Exactly my intention with my suggestion.

POTW when we used to up in fI'll mass often would scare away most until we started taking a lot of fields where the other country started upping a significant defense, often times pressing us back....best part of those fights weren't taking the undefended fields it was when we got stood up and had to fight it out for the base.
DFC Member
"Yikes"

Offline ACE

• Platinum Member
« Reply #66 on: November 14, 2016, 02:14:47 PM »
HT needs to advertise again. Let's get some new players
Sixth Tri-Annual Dueling Bracket Champion

The Few

-Spek

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #67 on: November 14, 2016, 02:32:04 PM »
We have quite a few players NOW.  I am in agreement that gameplay features in a number of ways are not as encouraging to SOLO pilots.  Just a couple of thoughts:

• Rank is too dependent on fighter K/D = less involvement in "active" defense.
  • Base capture foiled too easily. = quick and invisible resupply, last minute troop ambush, short downtimes (fields and flags)
  • Lacking "perk bonuses" for opposing superior forces = rank kamikaze to engage superior forces
  • Country "loyalty" / side changing does not balance 3 side chess piece battleground = "win the war" frequently encourages focus away from some fronts

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #68 on: November 14, 2016, 04:10:53 PM »
I actually meant to include the K4, luckily though, the majority of people who do use it don't know how to aim properly hehehe.

1. A lot of squads have disband. A lot of people got bored from slow game play and lack of fights. I don't have present #s to prove that. Just look at the ratio of fighters to Tankers/bombers on Lusches charts. This is not my opinion. That is reality.

2. As I mentioned, I said that Lusche and Lazer would be better to talk to about Strats and such. You don't realize that I do know how to play these other game types, they are just boring to me. I played the other game types in January, when I didn't have a Joystick or a job. I did very good. I know how this game play works, I just don't always have the time for it. So that's not my biggest concern.

3. The fighter base majority does make an impact and should not be ignored. Why do you want to remove the majority of the players for a minority when it's much more difficult to compete against other games aswell? Why not care if half the fighters leave to go play another game, while we are left with tankers and Bombers who don't even want to enjoy combat? This game has one of the best fighter aspects of any game, why crush that advantage?

If you are tired of seeing these types of threads, I as I am, I think there should be much more importance in retaining the fun fighter aspect to AH, or there won't be an increase in #s like you imagine. The only people left will be porkers and tankers, and you will see a boring afternoon game play like you have now. Do you succumb to that loss and give the minority the full attention even though #s aren't as strong? Or do you help resolve the fighter aspect to game, bring back fighter enthusiasm, and create better fights with more action all over the map? Why is that not a good option?

The problem is that most of your suggestions will cripple game play in other areas just to placate the MINORITY of players aka fighters. Here is a resent post of an old player thinking of coming back and they were confuse on the missing LW,MW,and EW arenas and the Melee arena was explained to him, his reply....

Thanks for the quick replies! Good thing about the Open melee just being the main arena, I was scared it would just be a big dumb furball like warthunder. One more question I had is how is the new beta running? Usually there's a bunch of bugs with these type things.

Doesn't sound like he is too interested in doing JUST furballing. The majority of players do not. If you could pole the last 1000 players that canceled their subscriptions I would bet most of them would say they were bored. The game needs diversity. What is needed is something to push these players into other options in the game BEFORE they become bored and leave.

Squads use to be very good for that. Squads these days are just a guy or two looking to get their name in lights, not helping the game any more.

Making changes so just one aspect of the game is favored over another is going to chase away those not interested in that aspect. Buff guys are already feeling put out over the fact that now it takes a couple sets of buffs to do damage enough to make the trip worth taking to the strats.

The game is great, it has tons of options, the issue is many players including yourself are stuck in one type of option. When their option isn't working out due to numbers and such you feel like the game is screwing you, or something is wrong with the game as it no longer caters to you. Thats why I think HTC needs to add something for players to be rewarded for branching out and trying other things. It will increase combat, stave off the boredom and so retain customers longer and so increase numbers.   

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #69 on: November 14, 2016, 05:15:26 PM »
Fugi,

That all depends on the chess piece.  Sad to say it.  There is a reason the majority of players are Bishops.  I have no data, but I am sure that Lusche has a graph somewhere or knows how to dispute the claim if false.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #70 on: November 14, 2016, 05:26:31 PM »
The problem is that most of your suggestions will cripple game play in other areas just to placate the MINORITY of players aka fighters.

Which used to be the majority when we had 600 on. They have slowly left over time and now have become a minority.

Where did they go? I wish I knew as it has to be a great game.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 14, 2016, 05:27:20 PM »

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #72 on: November 14, 2016, 05:28:03 PM »
Neither have I.

:O say it aint sooooooooo!
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #73 on: November 14, 2016, 05:30:46 PM »
The problem is that most of your suggestions will cripple game play in other areas just to placate the MINORITY of players aka fighters. Here is a resent post of an old player thinking of coming back and they were confuse on the missing LW,MW,and EW arenas and the Melee arena was explained to him, his reply....

Thanks for the quick replies! Good thing about the Open melee just being the main arena, I was scared it would just be a big dumb furball like warthunder. One more question I had is how is the new beta running? Usually there's a bunch of bugs with these type things.

Doesn't sound like he is too interested in doing JUST furballing. The majority of players do not. If you could pole the last 1000 players that canceled their subscriptions I would bet most of them would say they were bored. The game needs diversity. What is needed is something to push these players into other options in the game BEFORE they become bored and leave.

Squads use to be very good for that. Squads these days are just a guy or two looking to get their name in lights, not helping the game any more.

Making changes so just one aspect of the game is favored over another is going to chase away those not interested in that aspect. Buff guys are already feeling put out over the fact that now it takes a couple sets of buffs to do damage enough to make the trip worth taking to the strats.

The game is great, it has tons of options, the issue is many players including yourself are stuck in one type of option. When their option isn't working out due to numbers and such you feel like the game is screwing you, or something is wrong with the game as it no longer caters to you. Thats why I think HTC needs to add something for players to be rewarded for branching out and trying other things. It will increase combat, stave off the boredom and so retain customers longer and so increase numbers.

I disagree. It would not cripple game play in other areas. It would push action together making fights more easily accessible and less time consuming. This would create an explosion of all different types of game play at the same time, thus making the fights better all around. Hitech did attempt to get people in more styles by creating the achievement area. You can fly different planes, or vehicles, or bomb things, destroy things ect, for an achievement. My post are not just about one specific type of game play. I have understood what certain variables we need on the map to make game play fun for all styles. You seem to forget that Fun is what we are all trying to achieve. A slow separated map is great for players with an hour to play, but what about the people with 30 minutes of play, who just want some form of quick action fights? Why should I be forced to get in a tank or bomber when I don't have the time or patience? What if the maps were fast enough where anyone could up what they wanted and still be apart of the action? This is what Im trying to achieve with my suggestions. You don't need that many players in the AH to make the fights exciting, you just need a map that helps to achieve excitement for players. It makes all the difference in the world to have a map that concentrates action in different spots, rather than segregate the action with TT and FTs.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 14, 2016, 05:34:44 PM »
Where did they go? I wish I knew as it has to be a great game.

If there was a single game everybody went for, I'm sure we would know about it ;)
I for one hop back & forth between several games these days, never found a complete replacement for AH - and I don't believe I ever will.

I think players left for all the thousand reasons players always leave - getting older, real life called, having done all things and now moved up to a myriad of other games...
IMHO it's more been about not getting enough new players to replace the inevitable loss of players over time. Remember those times when radio & text comms hwere full of overly excited squeakers?