Author Topic: Is there a "guide" to (already created) skins?  (Read 533 times)

Offline Warty

• Copper Member
Is there a "guide" to (already created) skins?
« on: November 11, 2016, 09:28:27 PM »
I have been kind of doing AH off and on over the past 5 years, mostly off, and have never really downloaded skins before now. Since I came back to check out AHIII, I went ahead and downloaded the skin pack from the web site. I've read that having all those skins can cause a stutter when you get near someone, while your system loads in the skin they chose. So I was planning on getting rid of all but the skins that interest me. But wow... painful. In game, you see the full name. In Windows, you see the plane + slot #. You can cross reference a skins page with the slot # and name, but it's still really time consuming. You have to load each skin in the game, then flip to the web site to get the slot #, then go to windows and remove that skin file.

I don't suppose anyone has a page up with a picture or 2 of each skin, with the name and file name?

Also... are all the skins 4096? I can't really see the difference between 1024, 2048, and 4096 in very limited "testing". As I understand it, lots of the skins have been around for 5+ years... were people doing them in 4096 back then?

Offline FTJR

• Silver Member
Re: Is there a "guide" to (already created) skins?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2016, 12:08:33 AM »

I don't suppose anyone has a page up with a picture or 2 of each skin, with the name and file name?

Also... are all the skins 4096? I can't really see the difference between 1024, 2048, and 4096 in very limited "testing". As I understand it, lots of the skins have been around for 5+ years... were people doing them in 4096 back then?

Short answer.. No,

Krusty had a page going but that hasn't been updated for quite awhile. Most skins are 1024, gradually been updating to 2048, but that is a slow process as it goes.
Bring the Beaufighter to Aces High
Raw Prawns      

B.O.S.S. "Beaufighter Operator Support Services" 
Storms and Aeroplanes dont mix

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2016, 05:16:31 AM »
I believe an improved skins download page with screenshots is on HTC's list of things to do, since for the last few years skinners have been asked to include a thumbnail and a screenshot of their skin when submitting their skin files. However even when that goes live a lot of earlier skins won't have screenshots unless the skin's maker decides to add them.

I expect a new skins download page won't happen until AH3 is more stable and until after a new skins submission page is completed.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2016, 05:29:55 AM by Greebo »

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2016, 05:42:15 AM »
What Greebo said.  Right now, the name of the skin, in game, is shown with the file name, on the  downloads page.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2016, 09:24:24 AM »
I have been kind of doing AH off and on over the past 5 years, mostly off, and have never really downloaded skins before now. Since I came back to check out AHIII, I went ahead and downloaded the skin pack from the web site. I've read that having all those skins can cause a stutter when you get near someone, while your system loads in the skin they chose. So I was planning on getting rid of all but the skins that interest me. But wow... painful. In game, you see the full name. In Windows, you see the plane + slot #. You can cross reference a skins page with the slot # and name, but it's still really time consuming. You have to load each skin in the game, then flip to the web site to get the slot #, then go to windows and remove that skin file.

This can be an issue IF your computer and/or connection is on the weak side. If your running 60 FPS and you internet connection is good/stable then you most likely wouldn't ever see an issue with a skin load.