Author Topic: All of NZ needs some clean undies  (Read 2642 times)

Offline JimmyC

• Platinum Member
Re: All of NZ needs some clean undies
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2016, 02:17:16 PM »
Quake woke us up in Auckland..
Dam that beaver moon..should have been more aware it could happen..
Wishing well to all its effected
CO 71 "Eagle" Squadron RAF
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy."

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2016, 06:06:06 PM »
Now I remember why I haven't bothered to resub.

So "stay safe" is a platitude designed to make the person who posted it feel better.

I didn't enjoy going through that earthquake. It's the biggest one I've felt. I live on an alluvial flood plain and the long wavelength rolling motion was pronounced enough to make it difficult to stand. The house creaked and groaned at the same time. The thing that struck me as I hung onto the door frame was that I'd left two of my three kids in their bed because I couldn't get to them in time, that safe is one of those illusions you tow around with you that has no real meaning in actual fact. You're not safe, ever.

LOL you didn't resub because of folks like yourself. Outstanding!

That is fine because more of our good folks are coming back. The ones who care.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Online icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2016, 06:29:08 PM »
Curious about choosing to live on a flood plain.....................

What happens when it floods?

Offline palef

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2016, 06:32:54 PM »
See Rule #14
« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 10:57:59 AM by Skuzzy »
Retired

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2016, 06:43:55 PM »
No it isn't. Stop being so full of yourself.
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline Kanth

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2016, 06:45:56 PM »

Well if they did, they have probably stopped by now.  :ahand

And people don't care, not really.
Gone from the game. Please see Spikes or Nefarious for any Ahevents.net admin needs.

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2016, 06:58:58 PM »
« Last Edit: November 13, 2016, 07:14:40 PM by Zimme83 »
''The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge'' - Stephen Hawking

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2016, 06:59:28 PM »
Curious about choosing to live on a flood plain.....................

What happens when it floods?

Have you looked at Louisiana?  Most of it is built below sea level...  :uhoh

Coogan
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear

Offline ghi

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2016, 09:06:09 PM »

Offline Kanth

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2016, 09:48:50 PM »
I saw a different video posted of the same thing. Never had heard of it. Really interesting.
Gone from the game. Please see Spikes or Nefarious for any Ahevents.net admin needs.

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2016, 09:57:36 PM »
I know you mean well, but think that one through. Like an asteroid bombardment, a large earthquake that you can't stand up in is not something you can do anything about staying safe in. I've not heard a house make that noise, nor have I seen a swarm of earthquakes up and down the country quite like that before. You may or may not know, but NZ's Alpine fault is one of the most active in the world and regularly pumps out earthquakes in the 8.2-9.5 range. We haven't had one of those since the '60s. Last night's earthquake was generated by the Hope Fault, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hope_Fault , a spur of the Alpine fault. As the earthquake got stronger last night and the house started groaning and creaking and things started falling over the Alpine fault is what sprang to mind.

2 confirmed deaths so far but the tally is sure to go up.

A 7.8 is a hell of a shake.   NZ is Stage 2 of "Hot Spot Evolution".   Stage 1 is Hawaii and Stage 3 is Central America.   So that region in NZ is not fun in terms of volcanic and tectonic activity.   

Palef, I am assuming that you are near or in the Canterbury Plains?   I remember most of my Historical Geology, as most rely on Wiki.   Nor do some of these folks understand the mechanics behind soil liquefaction.  I remember the 2010 Quake well as they discovered a previous unknown fault, as well as a rare foreshock, before the actual quake.   What is not cool here, are the obvious 5-6 rating aftershocks that will follow over the next few months.   
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline redcatcherb412

• Nickel Member
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2016, 10:45:49 PM »
Has JJ checked in ?  Haven't seen him. 
All you Kiwi's stay safe, hoping the best for all of you.
Ground Pounders ...

Online icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2016, 11:27:19 PM »
Have you looked at Louisiana?  Most of it is built below sea level...  :uhoh

Coogan

You don't see me living there...................my post was not refuted.

Offline palef

• Gold Member
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2016, 04:00:33 AM »
Has JJ checked in ?  Haven't seen him. 
All you Kiwi's stay safe, hoping the best for all of you.

Tried ringing him today, but couldn't get hold of him. Will try tomorrow.
Retired

Offline palef

• Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2016, 04:11:11 AM »
A 7.8 is a hell of a shake.   NZ is Stage 2 of "Hot Spot Evolution".   Stage 1 is Hawaii and Stage 3 is Central America.   So that region in NZ is not fun in terms of volcanic and tectonic activity.   

Palef, I am assuming that you are near or in the Canterbury Plains?   I remember most of my Historical Geology, as most rely on Wiki.   Nor do some of these folks understand the mechanics behind soil liquefaction.  I remember the 2010 Quake well as they discovered a previous unknown fault, as well as a rare foreshock, before the actual quake.   What is not cool here, are the obvious 5-6 rating aftershocks that will follow over the next few months.

I'm actually in the North Island and we seem to be feeling the shakes more than Christchurch is. The Hope fault has developed a centre fracture at the top end and it is engaging with two other faults. We've had 382 aftershocks of more than M4.2 to date. We sit over a fault capable of generating M7-M8 quakes and there was a big one in 1942 that flattened a lot of the centre of the regional capital, Masterton.

The Hope fault is very close to the Alpine fault which is capable of generating quakes of M9 or greater. When the quake intensified last night my biggest fear was the the Alpine fault was rupturing. Expected casualties run in the 10s of thousands if that goes, spread across the centre of the country. One of the towns closest to the main event, Kaikoura, is cut off with lots of damage and no power or swewrage. Kaikoura is/was a lovely spot too.

We're a very underpopulated country and the South Island has less than a million people, so the main highway is a bit under developed. It still has awkward tunnels and one lane bridges. The tunnels just North of Kaikoura are buried under a massive landslide, and the road to the South of Kaikoura is fundamentally closed due to gaping chasms in the roadway an damage to bridges. At the moment the Airforce is concentrating of airlifting tourists, as that is the only way out at present.

Where I live, Greytown, if we have a severe quake close to our location, I suspect we'll be drowning in liquefaction. The water table is only inches below the surface, which makes for great pastures and orchards, but people here empty their swimming pool at their own peril. Leave it empty long enough and it floats out of the ground.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 04:14:08 AM by palef »
Retired