Author Topic: IPS Monitors  (Read 1456 times)

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
IPS Monitors
« on: November 26, 2016, 01:53:54 PM »
Are these any better to use instead of the standard LCD/LED monitors? Mine is due for replacement plus the viewing angle is horrible. And does 2ms/5ms/6ms  response time even make a difference from one to the other?
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline EskimoJoe

• Platinum Member
Re: IPS Monitors
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2016, 02:21:20 PM »
From everything I've read, humans can't really tell the difference to a point and if you're looking for a gaming monitor you can't go wrong with the 5ms or less rule of thumb. One of my buddies say that after watching a 1ms 144hz 1080p monitor for even 30 minutes, he couldn't go back to his tv.

Regarding the type, I have no idea  :banana:
Put a +1 on your geekness atribute  :aok

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2016, 02:27:20 PM »
For clarity, LCD applies to all flat panels and LED is just one way to provide background lighting to them. The most common varieties are TN which is cheaper and faster and IPS which is a tad slower but has very good viewing angles. Both can provide good performance in the 60 Hz range. There's also VA, which is pretty similar to IPS. Notice that the older VA models are too slow for gaming. Some quick reading here: http://www.pchardwarehelp.com/guides/lcd-panel-types.php

The response time values don't significantly matter when they're well below 10 ms. Plus it depends on what the response time actually stands for. Grey to grey is basically faster than black to black so try to compare apples to apples and oranges to oranges.

What does grey to grey/black to black mean? IIRC black to black is the time it takes for the monitor to display a pitch black screen turning white and black again through all shades of grey. Grey to grey instead is a fraction of the previous, telling the time between a shade of grey before white to a similar hue of grey to the starting point. That explanation may well be wrong in details, but roughly that's the idea.

[edit] EskimoJoe has a point there, 144 Hz has been said to be very good for some. Then again, there's people who'd choose a bigger picture, or a sharper image, or a better colour accuracy. You want a better viewing angle, so an IPS might be good despite being limited to lower Hz. Truth to be said, 60 fps is still good for most of us, three digit fps being beyond budget.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2016, 02:33:07 PM by Bizman »
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2016, 03:04:23 PM »
So far 60fps is fine. Tv is supposed to be 120 hz but when its turned on it gets some stutters on it.

Right now I have a Samsung S22C150 monitor I got last year, but it has severe washout and at times I cant see whats on the screen especially if its white on yellow/beige/gray unless I move my head to the bottom of the screen and look up. Changing the settings will not fix it, just moves it around do a different part of the screen. Last  monitor was an LCD with CFL backlighting and it didnt do that. Right now I see one I really like at Best Buy thats part of black friday which ends at midnight, but cyber monday deals start tomorrow on their site and cant decide if I want to see what else comes available for a better deal

Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2016, 03:06:16 AM »
If you can find comparison reviews of the models you're considering it might be of help. For what I've read it seems that price or panel type doesn't tell the whole truth, even an expensive IPS can look foggy while a cheap TN can have a crisp image.

If your Samsung can't be read other than from the odd angles with distracted colours, it sounds like it's defect. If it's still under warranty I'd try to RMA it.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2016, 05:27:44 AM »
IPS gaming monitors have better color, much brighter/fuller image, however their response time isn't quite as fast as a TN gaming panel, so some of the FPS playing pros will forgo IPS.  IMO unless you play as a pro, then going IPS is far more worth it.  I have both the TN and IPS 27" 144hz which came out first, and the 165hz Asus gsync panels, and the IPS one is far superior for gaming, but does cost more.  In CSGO I notice no difference in terms of rates, between them, but ROG Swifts, and look virtually identical when turned off, yet the IPS model gives a far better image overall.

You CAN get the best of both worlds, size/performance, but it isn't cheap, Asus makes a 100hz 34" Gsync IPS but it's 1200$ usually.

Regarding 144hz, it does make a huge difference, and anyone who claims the eye can't see over 60fps anyway hasn't actually tried looking at a 60hz and 100+hz side by side.  Yes, telling the 100hz, 144hz, and 165hz is hard to do, but anything over 100hz is a huge improvement over 60hz though.  Gsync, YMMV, for me, it's the very last thing on the list I'd look for in a gaming monitor, 100+hz, IPS, and size would be priorities over having Gsync, but having it isn't awful or anything.

If you mostly game at 1080p Asus, Benq, and a couple others make great 24" 144hz units for less than three hundred bucks, but they aren't IPS. 

Offline Krupinski

• Gold Member
      • Twitch
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2016, 01:24:56 PM »
The time it takes for your brain to process information from your eyes is 8ms, so ideally you want an IPS with an 8ms response time or lower.

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2016, 01:37:23 PM »
There are days it takes 8 seconds for it to process, let alone 8ms. I found an AOC with 5ms response. Last night Best buy had a 27" IPS from $250 to $120, but I waited and thought I would get something cheaper today. I was wrong, paid $170 for one instead. But I needed one with two hdmi imputs so I can switch from the PC to the satellite receiver

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2016, 02:13:54 PM »
There are days it takes 8 seconds for it to process, let alone 8ms. I found an AOC with 5ms response. Last night Best buy had a 27" IPS from $250 to $120, but I waited and thought I would get something cheaper today. I was wrong, paid $170 for one instead. But I needed one with two hdmi imputs so I can switch from the PC to the satellite receiver

One HDMI with a split works too.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2016, 03:39:42 AM »
The time it takes for your brain to process information from your eyes is 8ms, so ideally you want an IPS with an 8ms response time or lower.

You should overclock, because your OS is a little slow.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline SFRT - Frenchy

• Platinum Member
      • http://home.CFL.rr.com/rauns/menu.htm
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2016, 02:13:55 PM »
That's the one I bought ... $200.  :lol

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824025365

Display
Screen Size 31.5"LED
Backlight Yes
Widescreen Yes
Recommended Resolution1920 x 1080
Refresh Rate60 Hz
Viewing Angle178° (H) / 178° (V)Pixel Pitch0.36375mm x 0.36375mm
Display Colors16.7 Million
Brightness250 cd/m2Contrast Ratio1,000:1
Response Time 5ms
Aspect Ratio16:9
PanelIPS

Connectivity
ConnectorsD-Sub, HDMID-Sub1HDMI1
« Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 02:24:37 PM by SFRT - Frenchy »
Dat jugs bro.

Terror flieger since 1941.
------------------------

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2016, 06:30:42 AM »
If you care about accurate color reproduction, an IPS panel is the best choice.  It is also the best choice for significantly improved black levels as opposed to TN panels.

That said, if you do care about color reproduction, check with the manufacturer to see if they monitor has options for setting the color temperature.  Many of the cheaper models do not have this as an option.  Most of the monitors are shipping with a crazy color temperature, usually above 9000K.  Makes them really stand out in a retail environment.

It will also add a blue hue/cast to everything.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com