Author Topic: Who Loves ENY?  (Read 18202 times)

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
Re: Who Loves ENY?
« Reply #285 on: January 23, 2017, 08:21:55 AM »

The ENY process is a complaint generator with a murky purpose.  Handicapping one side because they have more people is to:
A)  hinder them from winning the war?
B)  hinder them from winning fights?

Just don't understand why either of those need to be hindered.

fighting is fighting. who wins the war is the last thing on 99% of the players mind, 99% of the time.  Why does it get such consideration?

I don't think I have a legitimate complaint if I'm outnumbered 4-1 in a fight. That's life.
I HAVE a legitimate complaint if I'm outnumbered 4-1 and I'm forced to fly a P-40.

More people on one side doesn't equal being out numbered in every fight...or any fight for that matter. How does ENY know it's helping? What metric or algorithm does it use to  know it's improving game play? Just curious :salute

Who is John Galt?

Offline BowHTR

• Gold Member
Re: For the love of all that is holy, please KILL ENY!
« Reply #286 on: January 23, 2017, 08:39:42 AM »
So, ENY appears to be doing its job. What it was intended to do. I think the problem is that the players are not conforming to the features of the game. All other games, people form to the features to make the features work for them. Here, people complain until they get their way.

ENY is not a problem. As we are told, the Knights have had ENY during primetime for the last 139 days  :rolleyes: . Then the people that have a problem with ENY, or people that have to fly their low ENY planes should be swapping to the other country to help balance the sides, which reduces ENY. Instead everyone just wants to whine. Adapt and overcome.
AH Supporter Since Tour 35

Offline Zardoz

• Copper Member
« Reply #287 on: January 23, 2017, 10:41:48 AM »
So, ENY appears to be doing its job. What it was intended to do. I think the problem is that the players are not conforming to the features of the game. All other games, people form to the features to make the features work for them. Here, people complain until they get their way.

ENY is not a problem. As we are told, the Knights have had ENY during primetime for the last 139 days  :rolleyes: . Then the people that have a problem with ENY, or people that have to fly their low ENY planes should be swapping to the other country to help balance the sides, which reduces ENY. Instead everyone just wants to whine. Adapt and overcome.

+1  :salute
Your incessant whining just adds entertainment value to my gaming experience :cool:

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #288 on: January 23, 2017, 10:51:03 AM »

The problem is, and has always been, chesspiece underoos.  A large portion of the reason people play the game is the people they play with.  They don't want to fight against these people they've developed long lasting and familiar relationships with.  That attitude has become so entrenched, it negates the idea of switching sides.  Even if individuals may want to switch, the vast majority of squads are side loyal.  It's their side, or log off in most peoples' minds.  Regardless of intent on HT's part, that's the net result.

I would be very curious to see if the lack of rooks is simply a matter of people leaving, or if people jumped sides for some reason.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #289 on: January 23, 2017, 11:29:05 AM »

ACM is the same for low or high ENY so plane performance isn't the reason people dont want to fly different planes...they are attached to those planes for personal reasons

Switching sides....why would I switch sides when I have to wait 6 hours to go back and have the possibility of ENY flexing to that side in that time???

I'll ask you and all people who agree ENY is working right.....would a 1 hour side switch time make ENY worse or some how change your opinion in this discussion?
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #290 on: January 23, 2017, 11:59:47 AM »

More people on one side doesn't equal being out numbered in every fight...or any fight for that matter. How does ENY know it's helping? What metric or algorithm does it use to  know it's improving game play? Just curious :salute
ENY limiter was added after years of complaining about unbalnced numbers. I dont remember the last time I read a whine thread about numbers. ENY does not really limit the quality of available planes. There are superb high ENY planes and ENY rarely stops the high numbers side from taking fields. In the large picture and over time, it does seem to help with the numbers balance and today it is very rare the one side outnumber the other two combined - except when numbers are very low that is.
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #291 on: January 23, 2017, 12:11:22 PM »
Adapt and overcome eny sounds like your only option.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 01:22:49 PM by whiteman »

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #292 on: January 23, 2017, 12:41:32 PM »
ENY limiter was added after years of complaining about unbalnced numbers. I dont remember the last time I read a whine thread about numbers. ENY does not really limit the quality of available planes. There are superb high ENY planes and ENY rarely stops the high numbers side from taking fields. In the large picture and over time, it does seem to help with the numbers balance and today it is very rare the one side outnumber the other two combined - except when numbers are very low that is.

I'm sure people complained about being outnumbered. But now that they see what the alternative is, maybe they'd all vote to drop ENY. The solution seems worse than the original problem.

Any data to support your side balance observation before and after ENY?  I remember the HTC stated that it was NOT to promote side switching, or logging off. Which are the only way to balance sides.  :salute
Who is John Galt?

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #293 on: January 23, 2017, 01:22:09 PM »
Any data to support your side balance observation before and after ENY?  I remember the HTC stated that it was NOT to promote side switching, or logging off. Which are the only way to balance sides.  :salute

I havn't gone back an look but I'm fairly sure I said it was NOT to make people log off.

HiTech

Offline BowHTR

• Gold Member
« Reply #294 on: January 23, 2017, 01:56:32 PM »
ACM is the same for low or high ENY so plane performance isn't the reason people dont want to fly different planes...they are attached to those planes for personal reasons

Switching sides....why would I switch sides when I have to wait 6 hours to go back and have the possibility of ENY flexing to that side in that time???

I'll ask you and all people who agree ENY is working right.....would a 1 hour side switch time make ENY worse or some how change your opinion in this discussion?

If we know the ENY is on the knight side, everyday, at the same time, for 4 hours or more, I would say it's a safe bet that you can swap sides and be safe from ENY for a couple hours. Based on what Rapier has stated in his last few posts, if accurate, we could assume that you could safely swap to another country and be just fine for a couple hours. After all, ENY has been dooming that one side everyday, at the same time, for 4 hours or more.

So lets put the side switch to 1 hour. Guess what, your still going to have the same people complaining about the same things, with the exception of those complaining about not having a 1 hour side switch time. A 1 hour side switch time does not fix any of the following complaining.

"this ENY crap, this is unacceptable"
"I thought I paid every month to fly what I wanted, am I wrong?"
"So its on ME to accommodate the bish and rook incompetence????"
"People have complained for years, does no good"
"Not in unison they haven't"
"If we ALL stood up against ENY it would go away, but too many sheeple"
"The only way to stand up against ENY is to leave the game. . . "
"HT pretty much said...he ain't changing ENY"
". . . whats the sense, we can't even fly what we want"
"This is ENY what makes it an arcade game"
"I agree less people in AH because you are punished for wining or getting people to fly on your side"
"Its no difference, its my money MY choice"

These people that are loyal to their sides can be loyal. That's perfectly fine. But don't blame the game/feature, that's doing what it was intended for. ENY simply encourages people to swap sides or fly an earlier version aircraft. If you don't want to do either of those, then I guess that's your problem, not HT's.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 01:58:12 PM by BowHTR »
AH Supporter Since Tour 35

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #295 on: January 23, 2017, 02:07:55 PM »
I havn't gone back an look but I'm fairly sure I said it was NOT to make people log off.

HiTech

I guess that was obvious. But we do get a fair bit of that because it seems many people are loyal to their chess piece. But do I recall correctly that you also did not intend to have ENY cause people to switch sides?  or is that classified?  :salute
Who is John Galt?

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #296 on: January 23, 2017, 02:09:42 PM »
If we know the ENY is on the knight side, everyday, at the same time, for 4 hours or more, I would say it's a safe bet that you can swap sides and be safe from ENY for a couple hours. Based on what Rapier has stated in his last few posts, if accurate, we could assume that you could safely swap to another country and be just fine for a couple hours. After all, ENY has been dooming that one side everyday, at the same time, for 4 hours or more.

So lets put the side switch to 1 hour. Guess what, your still going to have the same people complaining about the same things, with the exception of those complaining about not having a 1 hour side switch time. A 1 hour side switch time does not fix any of the following complaining.

These people that are loyal to their sides can be loyal. That's perfectly fine. But don't blame the game/feature, that's doing what it was intended for. ENY simply encourages people to swap sides or fly an earlier version aircraft. If you don't want to do either of those, then I guess that's your problem, not HT's.
And this mindset is a huge problem in the community, you think just because it's fine for you and a good amount of other players that it doesn't need to be changed but A LOT of players may leave the game due to this then what are you going to do? Shoot at town buildings and auto ack?...how long will that hold everyone's interest??? We already have incredibly low numbers, some minor changes can be made to make the game at least a bit better to hold more of the community...

You are partially right...1 hour rule doesn't completely fix the entire issue but it does take some of stress off the problem...which in turn will make it so you see fewer ENY posts...to say that all the people except those who want a 1 hour rule would be complaining is just BS...
DFC Member
"Yikes"

Offline SPKmes

• Gold Member
« Reply #297 on: January 23, 2017, 02:12:03 PM »
For me Eny is not a factor...1 because I change sides to low number..and 2 because my ride of choice has a high Eny ...lucky me huh.... A swarm is a swarm whether it is low eny planes or high eny planes....high eny is actually more of an issue in this scenario as they will usually get slow and turn where as low eny big boys are rather precious and just zoom through trying to tag the low slow guy so you get a bit of breathing room.... I think the modifier could be tweaked a little to slow down the eny constraints...
 A lower side switch time would be great for me...  as it is now can be a bit restrictive, especially if you change sides only to find no fights (my type ..defending) many has been the time that I log on check the map and try work out whether the low number side is when it is at to find nothing happening so decide to go to the side that has the most flashing bases and it is 5 friendlies and 1 set of bombers or a jarbo or a fighter jock looking for a bit of a fun fight...now I am stuck on a side of swarming green guys...yuck....
Quite often I have found a lower number side rolling bases as they just roll numbers from base to base to base...with no care for any defense of their other fields...now these guys have the good planes with all the bombs and a higher number side with restrictions is swamped fighting two fronts which often evens the sides and the modifier can't gauge that

To answer your question Junky...I think a lower switch time would be great for people like me...however I am not chess piece loyal ( I am but only to the chess piece I am on at the time I will defend with the same vigor on all sides) but I am a minority in this game at this time... piece loyal and win war types far outnumber furballer types

So yes I would like it but no I don't think it would have a resounding effect on Eny...

Personally...change modifier for Eny it affects me not ....lucky me
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 02:23:04 PM by SPKmes »

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #298 on: January 23, 2017, 02:16:48 PM »
I guess that was obvious. But we do get a fair bit of that because it seems many people are loyal to their chess piece. But do I recall correctly that you also did not intend to have ENY cause people to switch sides?  or is that classified?  :salute

Eny was designed to balance game play do to an imbalance a different number of players on each side.

It does this
1. By creating an incentive for players to change sides
2. By giving an advantage to the country with less players.

Has I consequence some players may also log off which also helps the issue of side balance, as compared to pre ENY when players would log off do to side imbalance it made the problem worse.

HiTech

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #299 on: January 23, 2017, 02:17:42 PM »
How about shallowing the ENY out a bit by first starting with NO ORD for ENY 5...then NO ENY 5 planes...then NO ord under 10 ENY the no 10 ENY planes ECT ECT ECT

That's what gives most aircraft that low ENY in the first place(the ord, example F4U1D and F6F) and that is what gives a horde an ability to steam roll when they do have numbers...you put them in heavy Jugs or Mossys they will get shredded by light fighters.
DFC Member
"Yikes"