Author Topic: Why do we hear other aircraft from within our own?  (Read 1599 times)

Offline kilo2

• Gold Member
Re: Why do we hear other aircraft from within our own?
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2016, 10:49:51 PM »
I turned both most the way down. But I listened to music the entire time I flew. I won't lie it did save me a few times though.
X.O. Kommando Nowotny
FlyKommando.com

"Never abandon the possibility of attack."

Offline Biggamer

• Nickel Member
« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2016, 11:00:13 PM »
ill fess up in aces high 2 my wind sound was 0 and if it was an option in aces high 3 it would be 0 we dont have that option however engine sound we do in aces high 2 my engine sound was set to 20 and external engines was set to 100 and thats what i run in aces high 3 so yes i hear the enemy at 800-1000 out. ive always used these setting from day one i think i started in 2008 maybe even before.
G3-MF

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2016, 01:01:27 AM »
Would only work if the game required everyone to use the same headphones or speakers.

Except they could be tied together, perhaps.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline ccvi

• Gold Member
      • http://www.carl-eike-hofmeister.de/
« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2016, 09:04:03 AM »
I've heared planes "looking" for GVs toggling their engines off to listen for them instead of spotting them visually.

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2016, 10:05:35 AM »
ill fess up in aces high 2 my wind sound was 0 and if it was an option in aces high 3 it would be 0 we dont have that option however engine sound we do in aces high 2 my engine sound was set to 20 and external engines was set to 100 and thats what i run in aces high 3 so yes i hear the enemy at 800-1000 out. ive always used these setting from day one i think i started in 2008 maybe even before.

FYI, if you are relying on this for SA, you may be disappointed when I drop in from the Zoneysphere with my engine off.

I am very very sneaky.

I'm very very sneaky.

I apologize for this tactic to anyone who has a name that starts with "Z".
Wag more, bark less.

Offline lunatic1

• Gold Member
« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2016, 02:06:04 PM »
Oh, you could fill a book with the dumb stuff I do, Lunatic1.  To each his own though!

lol, me too-like uppin at a capped field
C.O. of the 173rd Guardian Angels---Don't fire until you can see the whites of their eyes...Major devereux(The Battle Of Wake Island-1941.
R.I.P.49GRIN/GRIN-R.I.P. WWHISKEY R.I.P WIZZY R.I.P.

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2016, 02:12:19 PM »
I've heared planes "looking" for GVs toggling their engines off to listen for them instead of spotting them visually.

Wasn't this tactic used in a movie once?  I thought I remembered Henry Fonda's character up in a Bird Dog in the fog, and they shut down the engine and could hear the German's tank columns below.  Battle of the Bulge maybe?

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #37 on: December 16, 2016, 02:18:19 PM »
Wasn't this tactic used in a movie once?  I thought I remembered Henry Fonda's character up in a Bird Dog in the fog, and they shut down the engine and could hear the German's tank columns below.  Battle of the Bulge maybe?

Yup, it was B of B. Great flick! Robert Shaw's character was a real meany!! :D

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: December 16, 2016, 02:18:38 PM »

Yup.  Obviously unwise in IMC, even if you don't have AA shooting at you.

- oldman

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #39 on: December 16, 2016, 02:45:52 PM »
lol, me too-like uppin at a capped field

We never learn, do we?   Always that chance you can sneak away on the deck, down in the trees....and then "Blam, blam blam!" some nut in a Wirby hiding near the field saws my wing off...