Author Topic: Why do we hear other aircraft from within our own?  (Read 1602 times)

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
Re: Why do we hear other aircraft from within our own?
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2016, 01:14:18 PM »
I think a good case could be made for tying the engine sounds (both yours and others) together at a fixed ratio.  It's understandable people might want to turn their engine sound down (e.g. I had to do it to aid hearing and understanding radio comms) but to do it to gain advantage in hearing other's engines is pretty weak.

That said, being the subject of a slashing attack by a jet or fast prop plane when you can hear their engine scream by and their machine guns firing does up the pucker factor.

Offline NatCigg

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2016, 01:22:04 PM »
I would bet that more than 50% of the player base, turns down the wind and engine sound.   Fessing up to it, would be an entirely different story.

All my sounds are adjusted to balance situational awareness and immersion.  I have my gv sound very quiet and external gv at normal.  Vox is 100 and my plane engine is down a little, external airplane at normal.  I know some have most sounds down except external engine to hear what the enemy is doing.  Mostly to be aware if the enemy pilot turns off his engine.  When looking for a enemy gv ill shut off my engine on occasion to hear for the enemy. If i feel like going max dweeb ill put sounds on my speakers and vox on my headset.  :angel:

Offline NatCigg

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2016, 01:23:31 PM »

That said, being the subject of a slashing attack by a jet or fast prop plane when you can hear their engine scream by and their machine guns firing does up the pucker factor.

true story   :airplane:

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2016, 02:06:46 PM »
Yup, its all in the "sliders". Sounds like graphics options are all player adjustable. Not really sure what Mash ment about not fessing up to having sounds adjusted for a players liking? Also not sure as to why folk who arent active in AH3 are so snarky in their responses. The OP had a valid question and the game has changed dramatically since Alpha :aok
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline lunatic1

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2016, 02:24:38 PM »

Posted by: oboe
« on: Today at 01:14:1                                                           
but to do it to gain advantage in hearing other's engines is pretty weak.

^^ so we are supposed to turn our external sounds down so we can't hear them coming toward us, that's just dumb.
I have my internal sounds down to 2 or 3 percent-external sounds up at 100%.

but if you think that is weak, so be it.
C.O. of the 173rd Guardian Angels---Don't fire until you can see the whites of their eyes...Major devereux(The Battle Of Wake Island-1941.
R.I.P.49GRIN/GRIN-R.I.P. WWHISKEY R.I.P WIZZY R.I.P.

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2016, 02:32:24 PM »
Yup, its all in the "sliders". Sounds like graphics options are all player adjustable. Not really sure what Mash ment about not fessing up to having sounds adjusted for a players liking? Also not sure as to why folk who arent active in AH3 are so snarky in their responses. The OP had a valid question and the game has changed dramatically since Alpha :aok

I wasn't being snarky.   Bad SA is bad SA.   Bottom line.     You're welcome for the alpha testing.   I hope the game is going well and the community begins to strengthen.   Maybe for the next Dayton Gathering, you can attend and see how snarky any of us are.   
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2016, 02:41:22 PM »

Posted by: oboe
« on: Today at 01:14:1                                                           
but to do it to gain advantage in hearing other's engines is pretty weak.

^^ so we are supposed to turn our external sounds down so we can't hear them coming toward us, that's just dumb.
I have my internal sounds down to 2 or 3 percent-external sounds up at 100%.

but if you think that is weak, so be it.

Oh, you could fill a book with the dumb stuff I do, Lunatic1.  To each his own though!

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2016, 02:53:49 PM »
Ok, perhaps I misinterpreted and you were not being snarky. I have been known to make mistakes. I was in alpha as well, and thank you for the contribution. It wasnt meant to be a personal attack. I apologize :rock   While I dont have my sounds set up to be gamey, I cant object to someone else's preferences to set theirs up that way. To each their own. To me its like convergence, while I may set mine in a more historical way, I know some guys set it at max. Not for me, but if it works for you, go for it. I am just glad they are in the game and possibly a RED ;)
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2016, 03:56:11 PM »
I have my game engine turned way down. Can't really do that in real life. Can't really stand the new engine sounds (no offense, maybe they are accurate, but it's too lawn mower for me). So I turned it way down and can hear around me a lot better. I thought engine sounds were way to loud to begin with, which I thought I was probably accurate. It's just I can't hear people on Vox either, which was another reason I turned it down.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2016, 04:06:46 PM »
Ok, perhaps I misinterpreted and you were not being snarky. I have been known to make mistakes. I was in alpha as well, and thank you for the contribution. It wasnt meant to be a personal attack. I apologize :rock   While I dont have my sounds set up to be gamey, I cant object to someone else's preferences to set theirs up that way. To each their own. To me its like convergence, while I may set mine in a more historical way, I know some guys set it at max. Not for me, but if it works for you, go for it. I am just glad they are in the game and possibly a RED ;)

We are fine.   I wanted to reel this one in and try to gain some positivity.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline colmbo

• Gold Member
      • Photos
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2016, 08:43:18 PM »

Shuffler- I've often wondered if you'd even really hear bullets hitting your airframe depending on what they hit.

Wiley.

Oh yeah, you'd hear it.  I've never heard rounds striking my airplane but I have heard ice coming off the prop.  I've heard birds hit the airplane.

You can also hear and feel the waste guns firing while in the pilot seat on a B-24.
Columbo

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm" and the warrior whispers back "I AM THE STORM"

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2016, 06:45:35 AM »
A 109 pilot (Knoke) wrote when he was hit in the rear fuselage by .50 cals it sounded like you poured out potatoes into a metal bucket.
My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2016, 11:36:06 AM »
...when I'm in the Zoneysphere
  :rofl :rofl :rofl Zoneysphere.....   :rofl :rofl :rofl
Flying as AkMeathd - CO Arabian Knights
Working on my bbs cred one post at a time

http://www.arabian-knights.org

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2016, 11:44:56 AM »
Aircraft are very, very loud, yet even so you can identify when another aircraft is close. Not for an instant do I think you could hear an aircraft 800 yards away, unless you are deadstick.

I would like to do away with those two sliders also, but I am not under the illusion that you will not be able to hear other aircraft once that is accomplished. This is especially true with different sounds involved.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2016, 11:54:11 AM »
Aircraft are very, very loud, yet even so you can identify when another aircraft is close. Not for an instant do I think you could hear an aircraft 800 yards away, unless you are deadstick.

I would like to do away with those two sliders also, but I am not under the illusion that you will not be able to hear other aircraft once that is accomplished. This is especially true with different sounds involved.

Would only work if the game required everyone to use the same headphones or speakers.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)