Author Topic: GV viewing-range change  (Read 2026 times)

Offline lunatic1

• Gold Member
Re: GV viewing-range change
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2016, 02:04:25 PM »
Why is a Storch able to spot at longer range of other ac?

I would prefer the spotting range to be a function of aircraft speed.............

GV icon range = 150000/IAS

IAS 75 = 2k
IAS 100= 1.5K
IAS 150= 1k
IAS 200= 0.75K

Multiply the range product by 1.5 if the vehicle is moving.

Then folk who become skilled at low speed GV hunting gain a reward............ the Storch is still a good gv spotter because it flies so slow anyway.
the storch was built for spying and searching-that's what it's role is historically I think-therefore ingame that's what it does-storch has  pilot and a spotter/gunne, prob with binoculers to see gv's
C.O. of the 173rd Guardian Angels---Don't fire until you can see the whites of their eyes...Major devereux(The Battle Of Wake Island-1941.
R.I.P.49GRIN/GRIN-R.I.P. WWHISKEY R.I.P WIZZY R.I.P.

Offline lunatic1

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2016, 02:19:38 PM »
bustr I have no idea what your trying to say--gv's used to be seen 800 sitting still engine off--1200 engine on and moving
now it's 600 engine off 1000 engine running and moving
all im asking is with the thicker canopy to raise the stopped view to 800ft keep the moving gv view at 1k.

they changed it when gv'ers were complaining about being bomb****ed.
all I'm asking for is a 200ft view distance on stopped gv's.
in AH2 it wasen't a problem-in AH3 with more trees it is a problem-ok I will concede to a 100ft increase.
would also be nice to be able to see the tracers better. ok thankyou for reading
C.O. of the 173rd Guardian Angels---Don't fire until you can see the whites of their eyes...Major devereux(The Battle Of Wake Island-1941.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2016, 02:47:20 PM »
Lunatic, I've listened to you in the arena for some time now telling everyone how you really feel about the new trees. I'm building a new terrain using tiles that eliminate the tree problem getting to the town and field. The visual distance for the icon is irrelevant if you can actually see the other tank at longer range long enough to line up a shot. Those tiles I've mention accomplish that.

Waffle talked about the actual combat zone three years ago being a 4x4 mile area. For GVs it is the spawn and then the one or two 1x1 mile tiles around the town and field. Waffle made tiles to address GV combat with the village tiles, once you build a terrain and get down to the grass level and really look at what he created. So far most of the people doing the hand updates after the map conversion to AH3 are not using them, instead creating those tree nightmares you complain about when I see you in a GV.

From the last picture posted you can see that there is an 1\8 mile open farm land space at the 1x1mile edges of the 4 village tiles. Even with the spawn point at 2.5 miles, it takes a panther 5 minutes to get next to the map room from the spawn. And what do most GVers do when they spawn to get at a town? Drive in a direct line based on the map which ends up with you driving along that 1\8 mile open boarder between village tiles. So, an enterprising defender can get up on one of the village hills and pick off all the GV's trying to get to the town in a hurry.

What do you do on many of the converted maps, take forever trying to see spaces between the trees that won't eat your GV. That is not fair to the GVer who is also a paying customer.

In the first screen shot I used red lines to show the long open area with nothing to shield the GVs from the spawn. In the second screen capture my solution was to use an 1\8 mile brush and paint a tiny bit of hedge row I red boxed in the screen capture the surrounding farm land is created with. This gives GVs some cover while all the bushes between the trees can be driven through allow for high speed transit and still reach the map room in 5 minutes with a panther.

Because the terrain is a giant collection of 1x1mile squares, the terrain tiles paint onto them in 1x1mile repetitions or 4x4mile repetitions of a single tile. Much of the open terrain that you fly over and never drive through is a hand blended kludge of several tiles mixed and matched. That is the same rational around the town in many cases trying to look realistic. In AH2 it looked very necessary due to the tile offerings, in AH3 Waffle made purpose built tiles to address the small areas we really drive GVs on and fight over.

The transit lane open to a sniper from the spawn.

The transit lane with a tiny bit of cover for attacking GV. The village at the very bottom of the screen capture has the spawn entry point set in the center. I've set all spawn entry points like that on my new terrain.

You can see those 1\8 mile open lanes from this screen capture out of the terrain editor. That is why I added a 1\8mile strip of hedge row to protect GVs attacking the town.

bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2016, 07:36:48 AM »
Seems right to me.  I have hidden in GVs under trees and have dropped a bomb on hidden GVs.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2016, 04:41:04 PM »
In AH2 we got used to closer icons for GV to GV because we could see out to 4k in many cases. In AH3 the thick trees are a terrain editor operator choice when he paints.

Below is a screen capture of an un-zoomed T34 out on one of the village\farm tiles with long open vistas. At 3k center of the commander ring the object stands out. The second screen capture is from a tank gunnery range showing two tanks at 4k through the commander ring on zoom. Both screen captures were taken with the graphics settings at default. It's not icons, it's the choice of tree and clutter tiles making the GV game unfun.

bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline lunatic1

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2016, 02:19:12 AM »
I'm not talking about gv to gv, I'm talking about plane to gv. I have no problem tracking a gv in a gv, I just listen for the tracks and engine. a couple of weeks ago myself and 2 other players spent 2 hours looking for a tank hiding close to our town. and only found him when he decided to move. base defense is part of the game is it not?
maybe I should have said gv viewing from a plane-my bad
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 02:27:53 AM by lunatic1 »

Offline lunatic1

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2016, 02:35:18 PM »
yep I'm back with another fact-just remembered last night while trying to bomb gv's

a bomb has to travel 1000ft to hit and kill a gv-but you can't see said gv until your at 600ft from it and with the extra trees a lot of times you can't find it again or hard to remember where you saw it. maybe decreasing to bomb travel distance to 800 feet will help. don't know..but I do know,but I do know my bomb****ing kills have decreased in AH3

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2016, 02:50:08 PM »
yep I'm back with another fact-just remembered last night while trying to bomb gv's

a bomb has to travel 1000ft to hit and kill a gv-but you can't see said gv until your at 600ft from it and with the extra trees a lot of times you can't find it again or hard to remember where you saw it. maybe decreasing to bomb travel distance to 800 feet will help. don't know..but I do know,but I do know my bomb****ing kills have decreased in AH3

Not exactly a fact as the 600 range is in yards.  IE-~1800 feet.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2016, 02:50:24 PM »

As I understand it, icon distance is YARDS -- not feet.  So, a GV icon at "600" is 1800 feet.  So, it is a bit longer than the 1000 feet necessary to arm the bomb.

On a related subject, I would like to see longer icon range for the Storch.  I was hunting a Wirb last night in a Storch and couldn't see his icon until I was 1000 out, which put me in range of his guns.  Also, is the "Storch icon range" affected by the GV moving or stopped, or having motor on or off?
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2016, 07:59:41 AM »
Human eye is very sensitive to movements, even when looking out from a moving platform, at 2-3X range would be appropriate.

I did quite a lot of helicopter observation and navigation during my service. "If you shoot, you must scoot" is very true for the survival of a tank, shots fired can be seen mikes away in clear weather.

If a plane is passing over your tank when stationary, let's say over a road in the wood, they are likely not to see you, that is  until the Radar/FLIR pesky stuff showed up late in the cold war.

Why is a Storch able to spot at longer range of other ac?

I would prefer the spotting range to be a function of aircraft speed.............

GV icon range = 150000/IAS

IAS 75 = 2k
IAS 100= 1.5K
IAS 150= 1k
IAS 200= 0.75K

Multiply the range product by 1.5 if the vehicle is moving.

Then folk who become skilled at low speed GV hunting gain a reward............ the Storch is still a good gv spotter because it flies so slow anyway.
My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera