Author Topic: Windows 7 Update - Argh!!  (Read 3058 times)

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Re: Windows 7 Update - Argh!!
« Reply #30 on: December 25, 2016, 05:50:51 AM »
Is there a reason you guys do not want to upgrade to 10, I hesitated for along time but finally did the update. I would never go back to 7 as 10 has been as stable as a rock. I heard all the excuses why people but I have never had any problems with it and runs AH great.

I have never had any stability issues with 7.  All my applications run great.  There is no advantage, for me, to switch to Windows 10.  Windows 7 does not contain all the spyware Windows 10 does, which is just more machine cycles being wasted.  Windows 7 does not reset my settings at a whim, like Windows 10 does.  I can control Windows 7.  Windows 10 cannot be controlled.

I just do not see any advantage to switching, at all.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline rvflyer

• Nickel Member
« Reply #31 on: December 25, 2016, 11:18:19 AM »
I have never had any of the issues talked about here. It is more stable than any of the previous versions I have run going back to DOS. :) You can control what Windows 10 is allowed to do. People should run what works best for them. I didn't think I would like 10 but after using it  Would not go back.

I have never had any stability issues with 7.  All my applications run great.  There is no advantage, for me, to switch to Windows 10.  Windows 7 does not contain all the spyware Windows 10 does, which is just more machine cycles being wasted.  Windows 7 does not reset my settings at a whim, like Windows 10 does.  I can control Windows 7.  Windows 10 cannot be controlled.

I just do not see any advantage to switching, at all.
Tour 70 2005 to present

Offline Snork

• Copper Member
« Reply #32 on: December 25, 2016, 07:42:31 PM »
After the initial lock-up and loss of files using 10 some time ago I used Ubuntu for a bit then decided to use it as a mule and loaded 10 again with full permissions to update itself about 6 months ago. Latest error was DNS server issue causing most websites not to load. Tracked to IPv4 issue and spent hours tracking it down and resolving it. It had been working properly before, then screwed up after an update.
Flying as Noser

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #33 on: December 26, 2016, 06:40:37 AM »
I have never had any of the issues talked about here. It is more stable than any of the previous versions I have run going back to DOS. :) You can control what Windows 10 is allowed to do. People should run what works best for them. I didn't think I would like 10 but after using it  Would not go back.

We have not found it to be stable at all.  It seems to be at the whim of the updates.  We have had things break for weeks, then next update they were working again.  Then again, it probably depends on what you are using the computer for.

You cannot control Windows 10.  Microsoft can do whatever they want to your computer with Windows 10.  Any control you think you have is just an illusion.  At any given moment an update can come down and wipe out any changes you make.  We have been at the wrong of that stick too many times with our one Windows 10 system we have in house.

I do not see it as an "upgrade" as it does not seem to bring any functionality over what I already have.  As a matter of fact, I will lose functionality and have to purchase several third party applications to restore what I lose if I switch to 10.  Seems to be more change for the sake of change.  Just from a logical perspective, why change?
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline 715

• Silver Member
« Reply #34 on: December 26, 2016, 11:26:44 AM »
Supporters of Win 10 never seem to mention what is better about it; i.e. why I'd want to upgrade.  There seems to be much I would't want, like loss of control, "telemetry", advertising on the lock screen, loss of some features (DVD play? Media Center?).  The only thing I can think of is DX12.  But that is not really an improvement so much as getting out of the way of the game designer's low level access to the graphics card.  What are the "killer" features of Windows 10 that make it a "must" upgrade?
« Last Edit: December 26, 2016, 11:37:31 AM by 715 »

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: December 28, 2016, 03:57:15 PM »
Is there a reason you guys do not want to upgrade to 10, I hesitated for along time but finally did the update. I would never go back to 7 as 10 has been as stable as a rock. I heard all the excuses why people but I have never had any problems with it and runs AH great.

In my case it doesn't seem to be free any more for one.    But for another (primarily) Win7 is running like a champ and I don't need it for anything but AH and PSP5/GIMP.   If it ain't broken don't fix it.
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
- THE DAMNED -
King of the Hill Champ Tour 219 - Win Percentage 100
"1v1 Skyyr might be the best pilot ever to play the game." - Via PM, Name Redacted

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: December 28, 2016, 03:58:29 PM »

Nothing beats Windows 2000.  That was the high water mark for stability IMHO.  But 7 is doing fine for me so I am with Skuzzy on this one.   If Aces High ever closes shop I will be done with Windows permanently.
”KILLER V”
- THE DAMNED -
"1v1 Skyyr might be the best pilot ever to play the game." - Via PM, Name Redacted

Offline rvflyer

• Nickel Member
« Reply #37 on: December 28, 2016, 05:41:35 PM »
To each their own do as you wish, I bypass the lock screen so do not see any advertisements. Windows Defender has been one of the best PC protectors I have ever used since the old DOS days. It beats Norton, Mcafee, Kaspersky, AVG and any other virus program that takes over your computer and make it run sluggish. Have not had one problem with Ace high with windows 10 and have only had problems on some old programs and games that are  10 years old or so and needed to be upgraded any way. But then I have been using computers of some  sort or another since the old CP/M day and in fact still have my working old Osborne CP/M with two floppy drives.

Supporters of Win 10 never seem to mention what is better about it; i.e. why I'd want to upgrade.  There seems to be much I would't want, like loss of control, "telemetry", advertising on the lock screen, loss of some features (DVD play? Media Center?).  The only thing I can think of is DX12.  But that is not really an improvement so much as getting out of the way of the game designer's low level access to the graphics card.  What are the "killer" features of Windows 10 that make it a "must" upgrade?
Tour 70 2005 to present

Offline 38ruk

• Gold Member
      • @pump_upp - best crypto pumps on telegram !
« Reply #38 on: December 28, 2016, 06:08:31 PM »
Nothing beats Windows 2000.  That was the high water mark for stability IMHO.  But 7 is doing fine for me so I am with Skuzzy on this one.   If Aces High ever closes shop I will be done with Windows permanently.

I really had a soft spot for Win2k.... it was a great OS . I also like 7 in a Win2k sorta way and wont be moving from it for awhile.

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #39 on: December 29, 2016, 02:20:37 PM »
To each their own do as you wish, I bypass the lock screen so do not see any advertisements. Windows Defender has been one of the best PC protectors I have ever used since the old DOS days. It beats Norton, Mcafee, Kaspersky, AVG and any other virus program that takes over your computer and make it run sluggish. Have not had one problem with Ace high with windows 10 and have only had problems on some old programs and games that are  10 years old or so and needed to be upgraded any way. But then I have been using computers of some  sort or another since the old CP/M day and in fact still have my working old Osborne CP/M with two floppy drives.

Are you trolling me, Flyer?
”KILLER V”
- THE DAMNED -

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #40 on: December 29, 2016, 02:21:18 PM »
I really had a soft spot for Win2k.... it was a great OS . I also like 7 in a Win2k sorta way and wont be moving from it for awhile.

Yeah, 2000 was great.   I hated moving from that.  :(
”KILLER V”
- THE DAMNED -