Author Topic: Need More Rooks  (Read 2291 times)

Offline Zardoz

• Copper Member
Re: Need More Rooks
« Reply #45 on: December 19, 2016, 01:10:08 PM »
Fellers, Some of you remember me, and some of you dont and some of you could care less <G>

I have been flying Rooks for the last couple weeks.  the Rooks could be much more effective with more team work among the people.  The low numbers dont mean crap with a well organized force. breaking off 2 groups to fight both fronts can be effective if both groups are well organized.

Some Great Squadrons on the Rook side and they could organize the masses and make this happen. they have great leadership that is respected.

I would like to get with some folks and find a find some wingies so that I can be more effective and assist in the war effort. it could just be a couple people that want to  fly together with me through the whole sortie and we are commuted to keeping each other clear.

I dive into a fight and hold my own pretty good 1v1 or even 1v2 but, it seems like I get deserted and end up getting knocked down by someone that bounces me while I am engaged.

with a dedicated wingman for me things would be more enjoyable. but it always seems that it is everyone for themselves. base taking is great. and I totally support those efforts. and would fly cap for that activity anytime.  I am not a GVer or a Buff driver. my job is to get my wingman home to land his kills. 

I switched over to knits the night before last and its the same thing.   When I flew AH and other sims before I was always in a squadron that stuck together and could wing up and fly sound tactics and rtb with scalps or at least my wingman would be landing scalps. at my level of gunnery right now I would even fly #2 and keep the leads 6 clear while he worked over the enemy. if my wing man lands kills and gets home safe then its a win for me too.

the quality of the pilots here in AH are no joke.  good SA and sound tactics are not going to save you without strong teamwork and a couple wingies that you can fly with when I am up.   I would say that i dont mind being a lone wolf at times but, I am feeling like I am on my own all of the time. and end of at the lead of a conga line or being bounced by someone when i am engaged in another fight.  and it gets discouraging. Back in the old days there was always someone willing to give me a shout and wing up with me.

when I was with the 412th we were a scary force and could dominate and dictate battles outcome and protect our buffs and ground units.   is there still anyone at all out there? I would love to join a solid Squadron with this kind of team work.  maybe a little looser but with dedication to protecting each other, not getting killed and having to replane and land scalps. although I have been in many squads I am not a squad hopper.... I have just been around for so long that I have been part of a lot of good groups and once again would like to be part of another. anyone who knows me and has flown with me knows that I take a wing man assignment very serious and I am dedicated to squad operations.

<End Rant>

Rabbit

Former

412th Braunco Mustangs

Damned

Smoking Wrecks

Foreign Legion : this Squad would switch sides if numbers were low to assist low number country.

The Questionables <?> : This Squad would do the same as above.

:salute

The Rooks are amazingly unorganized. I am agreement that we could win a lot more maps, despite the numbers. I would be very interested in finding ways to increase the teamwork. 
Your incessant whining just adds entertainment value to my gaming experience :cool:

Offline Zardoz

• Copper Member
« Reply #46 on: December 19, 2016, 01:12:24 PM »
And 49Zardoz is a poor shot and always needs a wingman  :grin:
Your incessant whining just adds entertainment value to my gaming experience :cool:

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #47 on: December 19, 2016, 03:27:28 PM »

POTW has already done this to even out the numbers....The flat out fact your saying the players have to do something to fix it should make it clear that HTC should rethink its decision...

Ah yes, the pigs made it what, 2 weeks as rooks? I never said the players have to do anything. Your the one that is pizzing and moaning here and I pointed out an option for you to fix it. As a Rook, I very rarely have an ENY issue, and when on those very rare occasions we do have an ENY hit I just switch to another plane. As for fights, unfortunately we seem to only have hordes dropping down on us repeatedly, but many targets is better than none. You go ahead and enjoy your self flying WITH the horde crying about your ENY hit.

I'll beat this horse until its changed or the ENY threads stop popping up on the BBS....how many of the ENY threads we have this week 2? 2 last week??? Seems to me like we've had one started ever week this year...by different people none the less.

What is the definition of insanity? I'm thinking your a clinical case. Doing the same thing over and over again EXPECTING different results. The time for the side switch isn't going to change, period.

ENY threads only pop up from those players who are on Bish most often, and lately on Knights.  They are happy to have that over whelming force to help them roll the map, but heaven forbid they have to deal with ENY. You cant have one with out the other. Again, you don't want an ENY hit, join the team with the least numbers, lately its been the Rooks. 

I wanted to add, Im not picking on the Pigs here. Im just pointing out an option for some of you to get away from ENY issues and lack of fights. I don't know why you guys went back to Knights after your brief visit. I flew Bishops for years until I finally left the 444th Air Mafia. I flew Knights for a bit, then switch to Rooks and pretty much have been here for years now. I understand the "country loyalty". But if the game isn't fun , maybe a change would help not only you, but others in the game.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 03:34:54 PM by The Fugitive »

Offline awrabbit

• Copper Member
« Reply #48 on: December 19, 2016, 03:59:38 PM »
And 49Zardoz is a poor shot and always needs a wingman  :grin:

I am a terrible shot too :)  might work out. between us we can get some kills.

Zardoz I will wing up with ya anytime :)

Rabbit

Offline Zardoz

• Copper Member
« Reply #49 on: December 19, 2016, 05:59:43 PM »
 :salute

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #50 on: December 20, 2016, 12:50:03 PM »
Ah yes, the pigs made it what, 2 weeks as rooks? I never said the players have to do anything. Your the one that is pizzing and moaning here and I pointed out an option for you to fix it. As a Rook, I very rarely have an ENY issue, and when on those very rare occasions we do have an ENY hit I just switch to another plane. As for fights, unfortunately we seem to only have hordes dropping down on us repeatedly, but many targets is better than none. You go ahead and enjoy your self flying WITH the horde crying about your ENY hit.

What is the definition of insanity? I'm thinking your a clinical case. Doing the same thing over and over again EXPECTING different results. The time for the side switch isn't going to change, period.

ENY threads only pop up from those players who are on Bish most often, and lately on Knights.  They are happy to have that over whelming force to help them roll the map, but heaven forbid they have to deal with ENY. You cant have one with out the other. Again, you don't want an ENY hit, join the team with the least numbers, lately its been the Rooks. 

I wanted to add, Im not picking on the Pigs here. Im just pointing out an option for some of you to get away from ENY issues and lack of fights. I don't know why you guys went back to Knights after your brief visit. I flew Bishops for years until I finally left the 444th Air Mafia. I flew Knights for a bit, then switch to Rooks and pretty much have been here for years now. I understand the "country loyalty". But if the game isn't fun , maybe a change would help not only you, but others in the game.
First off...A Rook started this thread seeing that 49ers are probably like Pigs when you ask them what country they fly for...not country loyal but home based is Rooks(For 49ers) as Knights is the home base for POTW....ENY jumps around just like squads do except now we dont have any of the quick jump squads...like AoM...BKs...the 80th doesnt move as much anymore....KN...ect ect ect....those squads were the ones that virtual died after the 12 hour rule was originally made and they were the ones who'd flex the quickest to the other side to even out the fight...problem is you cant anymore...we started getting numbers just recently at an awesome furballl and I wanted to switch over but like I said in another thread I dont want to have to make my switch immediately when I get back on and then not be able to switch for 6 hours.....DROP IT TO 2 or 3...but 6 hours is absolutely the insane thinking you are talking about...that just aint right.

Insane...maybe but who's truly insane, you guys thinking everything is going to be ok...when the numbers have been dropping steadily for the last what...8 years...or is it me who wants to ASK HTC for some change so we can get more people into the community and some of the old sticks out of retirement?

People do understand a lot of those old sticks are over playing Il2 and other games right???? Like the have groups of AH players who have formed squads in other games....blah maybe i am going insane.
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #51 on: December 20, 2016, 04:07:54 PM »
Eny just jumped from 0 to 27 with 15 minutes....can't change for 4 more hours....

Yep it's working great
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #52 on: December 20, 2016, 04:51:07 PM »
First off...A Rook started this thread seeing that 49ers are probably like Pigs when you ask them what country they fly for...not country loyal but home based is Rooks(For 49ers) as Knights is the home base for POTW....ENY jumps around just like squads do except now we dont have any of the quick jump squads...like AoM...BKs...the 80th doesnt move as much anymore....KN...ect ect ect....those squads were the ones that virtual died after the 12 hour rule was originally made and they were the ones who'd flex the quickest to the other side to even out the fight...problem is you cant anymore...we started getting numbers just recently at an awesome furballl and I wanted to switch over but like I said in another thread I dont want to have to make my switch immediately when I get back on and then not be able to switch for 6 hours.....DROP IT TO 2 or 3...but 6 hours is absolutely the insane thinking you are talking about...that just aint right.

Insane...maybe but who's truly insane, you guys thinking everything is going to be ok...when the numbers have been dropping steadily for the last what...8 years...or is it me who wants to ASK HTC for some change so we can get more people into the community and some of the old sticks out of retirement?

People do understand a lot of those old sticks are over playing Il2 and other games right???? Like the have groups of AH players who have formed squads in other games....blah maybe i am going insane.

Yes a "Rook" started the tread, and he was asking for more rooks. I think his idea is sound. As an example if the Pigs find themselves always on the short end of the ENY stick, or they are tired of fighting ALWAYS having the superior numbers then maybe a switch to Rooks could help.

We had a 12 hour switch rule as the numbers were climbing to the point where HTC split the MA into two arenas and dropping the switch time then. And the reason he shorttened the switch time was so squads could switch to fly together when they jumped into the other MA. My guess is that it was the only way to make it work for the squads. Its not the switch time that has been driving players away for the last few years.

It is game play that has been driving them away, which is natural according to Hitech. Each player has a certain shelve life at which point they get bored and move on to something else. Those of us who hang around so much longer are those guys who like many aspects of the game. We don't get bored as easily due to the variety of play we do.

The reason the numbers continue to drop is we are no longer seeing the same influx of players. You use to be able to see when kids were on vacation by the jump in population in the game. Hopefully HTC has a play to get more players in.

Shortening the switch time isn't going to do anything but give instant gratification to a hand full of players. It certainly won't bring back the few players playing Il2 and other games.

Offline awrabbit

• Copper Member
« Reply #53 on: December 20, 2016, 09:14:23 PM »
 I have to say some advertisement couldn't hurt.  ( Sorry HT but its true)

my son plays on steam several WW2 flight sims. 

they have a huge community but it is way to arcade like.  their squads have a hard time organizing and the flight models are one of the worst i have ever experienced.
would be great to get some new seals to club... im mean players to come over and check out a very good game with a great community.

with the new support and other new updates it would be cool to put it out there and see if we can increase the numbers.

in the old days there were a lot of organized squads that came from the other now defunct sims and we carried on and made a home here.  I am thankful AH is still going on after all of these years. and I hope that it keeps going forever.

AH to me is the best WW2 combat sim out there.  but, i have noticed that there is a lot more GV'ers than before but, hey if thats what ya like its here.

even with the lower averages numbers up each night it is still much more fun here than any other sim I have flown.

its great to see some old friends and meet some new friends.

now I have to remember the golden rule.......... 10000 deaths make a good virtual pilot :)  coming back after a long lay off I am once again a baby seal but, maybe this time it will only take me about 5000.  ( wishful thinking) <g>the learning curve is pretty steep here and you have to work at it to be proficient in AH. to me gunnery is the hardest part to get. a handle on.  but, the past month or so I have been back i have seen that it is starting to improve.  still not landing many kills but I am getting a lot of assists and able to help out when I can for my country.

the quality of pilots here in AH are top notch. and if you can hang with this group and hold your own then you are doing something.

much respect and having a great time.  I get frustrated because I want to be the terror that I used to be but, hey Im still having a lot of fun.

honored to fly with all of you. Rook, Bish and Knit.   

regards.

Rabbit

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #54 on: December 20, 2016, 09:44:18 PM »
Agreed Rabbit, HTC MUST advertise. They have to get the word out there of what they have here. Adding numbers will cure, or at least lessen the impact of the issues some of complain about here.

Offline awrabbit

• Copper Member
« Reply #55 on: December 20, 2016, 09:57:22 PM »
I wonder what we can do to convince him?

we could start an AH go fund me page :)

I mean I have seen it done for crazier things <g>
Rabbit

Offline FESS67

• Silver Member
« Reply #56 on: December 21, 2016, 12:29:33 AM »
Advertising will solve nothing.  HTC has built a reasonable game, one in which IMO people like us can have a lot of fun.  The problem lies in the actions of the players ans HTC can do little to influence that.  Side switch times is the obvious thing he can change.

It is the actions of individual players and squads that are the biggest factors in game play now and they can make or break the gaming session.

Remember the days of constant HQ radar destruction?  People would log on and struggle to find decent fights with no Dar bars to help them.  They would spend hours fixing the Dar only to have it dropped soon after.  The squad responsible was very proud of their prowess at doing this and took great pleasure in making the game session less than enjoyable.

Many people simply logged off in frustration and I wonder how many just did not bother to come back?  Those actions were probably enough to be the last straw for a lot of players and here we have that squad now asking the community for help.

I rambled a bit there.  My point is this,  build a better community and players will come.  Take pleasure in briefing the community and players will leave.  That is very much up to you, not HTC

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #57 on: December 21, 2016, 01:44:14 AM »
Eny just jumped from 0 to 27 with 15 minutes....can't change for 4 more hours....

Yep it's working great

This.
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
« Reply #58 on: December 21, 2016, 10:50:35 AM »
Advertising would probably bring in new players to at least give AH a try.  However, there remain some pesky bugs that should be fixed before inviting new people:

1.  The WTF building at the end of the runway needs to be dealt with.  Auto take-off must work for newbies.
2.  The game needs to be more stable.  Still too many CTDs, stutters, freezes, etc.  We are used to these and are waiting patiently for the fix, but newbies will be turned off.

I'm guessing that HTC will hold off on advertising until these (and other?) issues are resolved.

KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #59 on: December 21, 2016, 11:12:28 AM »
Advertising would probably bring in new players to at least give AH a try.  However, there remain some pesky bugs that should be fixed before inviting new people:

1.  The WTF building at the end of the runway needs to be dealt with.  Auto take-off must work for newbies.
2.  The game needs to be more stable.  Still too many CTDs, stutters, freezes, etc.  We are used to these and are waiting patiently for the fix, but newbies will be turned off.

I'm guessing that HTC will hold off on advertising until these (and other?) issues are resolved.

I'm back after about 2 years, the building at the end of the run way has been easily avoidable and have yet to disco or have any kind of stutters.