Author Topic: Two countries  (Read 5104 times)

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
Re: Two countries
« Reply #60 on: December 23, 2016, 07:27:06 PM »
Oh, and until someone brings John Lott in here to run an analysis that can account for all the variables it will remain conjecture.  There are no FACTS until that's done--just opinion. 
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #61 on: December 23, 2016, 07:39:21 PM »

In any event, I have the perspective of experience.   I've seen it before.  That may not qualify as expertise but however allow an informed opinion to be made.  That and a dollar will get you a soda.

You're not the only one with the perspective of experience, some us, like myself, have been playing online flight sims since DOS AW days.
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #62 on: December 23, 2016, 08:07:36 PM »
You're not the only one with the perspective of experience, some us, like myself, have been playing online flight sims since DOS AW days.

I never claimed I was.    I merely questioned your expert opinion on this issue  -- one with which I happen to completely disagree -- after you decided to go after me for having a different view. Nothing more nothing less. YMMV.

Your opinion is no more valid or invalid than mine.   
« Last Edit: December 23, 2016, 08:17:15 PM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #63 on: December 23, 2016, 08:20:43 PM »

I never claimed I was.    I merely questioned your expert opinion on this issue  -- one with which I happen to completely disagree -- after you decided to go after me for having a different view. Nothing more nothing less. YMMV.

Your opinion is no more valid or invalid than mine.   

actually ack's opinion counts more than yours.  you do know what he does for a living dont ya?  while I do feel that a 2 country would do just fine, I trust hitech's opinion over mine.  you know why?  he's betting his business on a 3 country being better.  while I may not agree on everything he does, I feel he's taking the game in the direction that will most improve it. 

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #64 on: December 23, 2016, 08:53:32 PM »

actually ack's opinion counts more than yours.  you do know what he does for a living dont ya?  while I do feel that a 2 country would do just fine, I trust hitech's opinion over mine.  you know why?  he's betting his business on a 3 country being better.  while I may not agree on everything he does, I feel he's taking the game in the direction that will most improve it. 

semp

Nobody is infallible*.   Fresh eye perspective is invaluable.   Ack is wrong in my opinion. 

Circumstances evolve.  Three sides don't work as things stand now.  Are two sides the solution?   Maybe.  Maybe not.  I don't think they will cause / hasten the demise of AH.

*The people at Kodak were experts, too.

--

It's academic.  Dale isn't gonna change it.

:cheers:

« Last Edit: December 23, 2016, 08:56:55 PM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #65 on: December 24, 2016, 09:03:05 AM »
Nobody is infallible*.   Fresh eye perspective is invaluable.   Ack is wrong in my opinion. 

Circumstances evolve.  Three sides don't work as things stand now.  Are two sides the solution?   Maybe.  Maybe not.  I don't think they will cause / hasten the demise of AH.

*The people at Kodak were experts, too.

--

It's academic.  Dale isn't gonna change it.

:cheers:

So what your saying is you are NOT an expert and so anything you say should be taken with a grain of salt. Just want to make that clear.

As for 3 sides "not working" why do you say that? Ever hear the phrase "its your turn in the barrel"? Well there is a good side as well as a bad to that. Some nights there are good fights on the fronts, other times there are not. You take the good with the bad. The issue with a 2 sided war is you'll see far too many nights with one team heavily out numbered and so "be stuck in the barrel".

I know you'll say "well in warbirds we use to switch to even sides". Well you can already see that wont work here because they prove it everyday. Bish cry about ENY all the time but will one squad change to another team to even things up and get away from ENY? nope.

Even if the 2 teams started out even, one side would seem to win more wars and before you know it more and more people would switch to that side and a huge imbalance would happen that would never correct it self. 4,5, or 6 teams would dilute the fronts even more and unless you had all the maps in a pizza shape there would be many maps where you'd never get to fight one or more teams while it was up.

Again, why isn't 3 sides working?

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #66 on: December 24, 2016, 09:42:40 AM »
So what your saying is you are NOT an expert...

Hey, Fug, when did you stop beating your wife?

Again, when did I ever say, "I am an expert"?  "It is you who say that I am." (A quote from a guy who was always right when the crowd was horribly wrong.  There's a lesson here if you look for it.)  This deflection technique isn't gonna' fly, sir.

I disdain the concept of self-annointed and conventional wisdom-designated experts, frankly (and there seem to be a few in this thread).   They wind up being wrong all the time--while the little voice in the wilderness who knew better was ignored. 

Without running a serious regression analysis (something I do have some expertise with in my previous life) one cannot say wth any certainty what causes what in this situation   It remains anecdotal, conjecture, or an educated guess.   I have offered mine.  You're free to disagree.

Hitech and Skuzzy are working hard on this game.   I am grateful to them for that.   Skuzzy in particular gets a big <S> from me for his prompt attention, something that was sorely lacking at Brand X.   I don't know how he does it.   :salute :cheers:

(I'm not gonna' go into this sideswitch/ENY thing AGAIN.  That's been hashed to death, too. Do a search for my previous comments on the subject if you are truly interested in my position.)
« Last Edit: December 24, 2016, 11:16:36 AM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #67 on: December 24, 2016, 11:32:07 AM »
See Rule #4
« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 10:37:52 AM by Skuzzy »

Offline cav58d

• Gold Member
« Reply #68 on: December 24, 2016, 11:41:07 AM »
I like the idea but then I imagine people would just dodge Tuesdays...and I say that as an advocate for two sides.   

Having a two-sided arena with 27 vs 22 is going to generate a lot more action than having 16 vs 15 vs 18.

I loved watching the fronts move in WBs.   It was a blast to see the bad guys marching across the map and then have a Tobruk Moment to push them back.    I see nothing like that here.   It's all about percentages and convoluted formulae that makes winning the map gamey.   It makes my eyes roll back in my head.

Hey, it has worked for a long time, I get it.   I also know why HT says he did it that way (I heard his explanation directly in person).   At one time it certainly served a purpose, but at some point three sides needs to go away even if just for a little while.   Maybe it will be a hit.

I have never flown War Blunder (et. al.) longer than half an hour so I can't recall.   Is it two sides?   Three?  Five?

Are the numbers THAT bad?!?!?!

I really want to come back to AH but it's pretty hard to consider investing about $1,500 bucks (i need to buy everything) for such low numbers and no guarantee this game will even last another year or two.
<S> Lyme

Sick Puppies II

412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline Drane

• Nickel Member
« Reply #69 on: December 24, 2016, 11:48:12 AM »
See Rule #4
« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 10:36:48 AM by Skuzzy »
92 Squadron RAF - Aut pugna aut morere - 'Either fight or die'

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #70 on: December 24, 2016, 11:49:46 AM »

I really want to come back to AH but it's pretty hard to consider investing about $1,500 bucks (i need to buy everything) for such low numbers and no guarantee this game will even last another year or two.

They're RELATIVELY bad at the times I play.  Relatively.  YMMV.   But I haven't been a peak time guy much of late.

If it says anything I took the six month prepaid offer.   I'm not pulling the plug. 

Give it a try.  If everyone who was on the fence took the plunge we wouldn't have these threads.  :)
« Last Edit: December 24, 2016, 11:51:57 AM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #71 on: December 24, 2016, 11:51:50 AM »

Don't let the opinions of a few mouthy idiots take the game away from you.  This is a great game, there is lots of action and numbers are improving. 

You need a good system to play any game worth anything anymore.

Grab a new system, re-open your account and come play.

Remember, 90% of the players don't bother to even post, they are just happily playing the game.  They have no idea they are supposed to be miserable just because the doom and gloomers tell them so.
Wag more, bark less.

Offline Bushmills

• Copper Member
« Reply #72 on: December 24, 2016, 11:55:40 AM »

noob!

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #73 on: December 24, 2016, 12:02:43 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

noob!

You got me beat.  I started with Jet in 1985.  (MSFS didn't count.  Neither did Choplifter on the Apple II.)

Heck, I remember goofing around with C64 and Adam back in 1983 and prior.   Can't remember a single game on the former though.   River Raid perhaps?
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #74 on: December 24, 2016, 12:04:08 PM »
« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 10:46:42 AM by Skuzzy »
”KILLER V”
The Damned