Author Topic: P-51D Skin Error?  (Read 667 times)

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
P-51D Skin Error?
« on: December 25, 2016, 09:36:20 PM »

EDIT IN: FILE ATTACHED

Gang,

You may recall awhile back the default skin was imposing itself on the object without regard to a file being present for bump/normal and/or spec.   (I will have to look at the thread to find it.)

The Normal map is doing something similar (I THINK).

Now, when I run a 24-bit Normal Map everything works fine even if it is blank (all one shade).  When I convert that to 32-bit I get an error with an imposed shadow that distorts the cowling on the left side, the exhaust shadow, and the fuselage.  It does this regardless of the data in the Normal Map (i.e., panel lines or no panel lines).

Is this only on my FE or is it something that others get as well?

I can get my skins to look like I want them in 24-bit but cannot do so in 32.   (It may just be on my end and as such it would be time for a new computer or something!)  :)

« Last Edit: December 25, 2016, 10:10:07 PM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
Re: P-51D Skin Error?
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2016, 10:05:12 PM »
It helps to attach the darned file...   See previous post.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2016, 10:10:20 PM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2016, 06:43:58 AM »
We will not accept a 24 bit normal map.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2016, 10:29:48 AM »
We will not accept a 24 bit normal map.

Okay.   But that doesn't address the issue best I can tell. 

Also, forcing the default normal map on skins makes them look awful.  A blank would look better than an incorrectly rendered (relative to the submitted skin) default.    I will post an example a bit later. 

Did I understand that submission of the old style bump would convert to normal on your end automatically or is that gone?
« Last Edit: December 26, 2016, 10:33:19 AM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2016, 12:44:00 PM »
Okay.   But that doesn't address the issue best I can tell. 

Also, forcing the default normal map on skins makes them look awful.  A blank would look better than an incorrectly rendered (relative to the submitted skin) default.    I will post an example a bit later. 

Did I understand that submission of the old style bump would convert to normal on your end automatically or is that gone?

That conversion was a one time deal we did with the existing skins to get them into AH3.

Are you saying all the skins in the game, with normal maps, look bad?  Virtually all those skins have a normal map and I would challenge the opinion they all look bad.

I am not an artist so I cannot help you with whatever issues you are having as none of them make any sense to me.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2016, 03:06:22 PM »
That conversion was a one time deal we did with the existing skins to get them into AH3.

Are you saying all the skins in the game, with normal maps, look bad?  Virtually all those skins have a normal map and I would challenge the opinion they all look bad.

I am not an artist so I cannot help you with whatever issues you are having as none of them make any sense to me.

It depends on the individual skin. If the original skin was submitted with no specular map, then it now displays as high gloss, which is bad.

If it had no bump map when it was submitted, the it uses the bump map of the default skin. If the panel lines line up well, it might look OK, on others it will look very out of place. If the skin had a bump map but the file name did not match the info in the text file, the results look awful(this happened with a few of my 109G-6's) 
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2016, 07:40:04 PM »

Got it.  Thanks for the clarification.

What devil said above. 

You are forcing all the skins that don't submit a normal or spec to use the default instead of leaving it blank.  That's putting recesses in places where there are no panel lines and it looks bad. 

All of my skins now have default-induced bump map errors that I can't fix since I am unable to get 32-bit files to convert correctly (I am not alone in this).

A temporary lifting of the 32-bit ban would sure help. 

In my case I need something--ANYTHING--to replace the default bump on my skins until I can fix them.   Devil provided his own example of this problem with the 109. 

You're doing fine as is.  No complaints really.
”KILLER V”
The Damned