Author Topic: So I'm watching the military channel and guess what?  (Read 9772 times)

Offline lefty2

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
So I'm watching the military channel and guess what?
« on: December 26, 2016, 01:04:33 AM »
So I'm watching the military channel in the background and twice in one hour an ad comes on world of tanks we have 100 million players. I pulled up the roster and looked we had 50 players on at the time. Ya, ya, I'm sure 100 million is a little bit of a stretch of advertising imagination, but whatever it is I'm sure it's a lot better than 50. Who would've guessed it would appear that if you advertise people find your game and play. Imagine that. Advertising equals players think of it, it must be rocket science.

Offline Blooz

• Gold Member
Re: So I'm watching the military channel and guess what?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2016, 01:20:16 AM »
AH3 actually has 200 million subscribers. Twice as much as WoT.

8 actual humans and 199,999,992 shade accounts.
White 9
JG11 Sonderstaffel

"You can't vote your way out of communism."

Offline lefty2

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2016, 01:57:12 AM »
now thats funny!

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2016, 03:06:32 AM »
I've figured that WoT is a "free" game where you have to register in order to play. My question is, does anyone ever unregister from WoT? Or are the only losses in the player count those that have been permanently banned for cheating?

Knowing the number of paying subscribers is the only valid method to compare the real player count. The monthly fee for AH is an easy way to tell the number of active subscribers, for WoT you'd have to keep score about players making upgrades to their vehicles by using credits, bought or earned, during a relatively short time. A year might be too long a period considering the amount of early teenagers who'd download the game, die a lot, pay for the best gear, die still a lot, quit for frustration.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2016, 05:22:58 AM »
Here's the thing about the WoT numbers, they only count registered accounts and not the actual numbers that play the game.  It's a common marketing gimmick.
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline dirtdart

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2016, 06:58:15 AM »
Anything you can play on a phone, like angry birds, is going to have a huge player base. I play wot while waiting to get a haircut.
If you are not GFC...you are wee!
Put on your boots boots boots...and parachutes..chutes...chutes.. .
Illigitimus non carborundum

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2016, 10:12:39 AM »
1. Free to play

2. Easy to play

3. Much bigger investment capital for non stop commercials

4. What AKAK said

The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2016, 10:46:03 AM »
1. Free to play

That sort of business model has been taking over in recent years. Unfortunately AH isn't set up very well to use that business model.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2016, 11:01:12 AM »
And let us hope it never does. While it is great for generating income over the short haul, eventually it catches up and then you have to charge for upgrades and any services you offer.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Mystic2

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Silver Member
      • http://www.theunforgivenweb.com
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2016, 11:08:43 AM »
the main reason I started playing this all those many years ago was a commercial I saw on the Military Channel... was a good commercial.... Maybe HT would do a contest like he had a few years ago, and let the customer base create a commercial.....
FSO Setup CM
~~~THE UNFORGIVEN~~~
"LIVE FREE, DIE WELL"

mystic2@ahevents.org

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2016, 11:38:00 AM »
the main reason I started playing this all those many years ago was a commercial I saw on the Military Channel... was a good commercial.... Maybe HT would do a contest like he had a few years ago, and let the customer base create a commercial.....

The problem is that Hitech said the commercial didn't generate enough interest to cover the investment made to make/air the commercial. Which is why I think he may be a bit gun shy to do it again.

However there are many other options. Advertising in Model makers magazines, flying magazines and so on. The social media angle is a huge opportunity if used properly. In a few months the WWII air shows will start back up again. What if HTC built a booth and shipped it around the country to players that would volunteer to run it at each show. HTC pays for literature and fees, maybe a computer with an air card and a login to let people give it a try at the shows, volunteers sign a contract to setup and break down the booth. Heck give the "volunteers"  6 months or a year free to do it. All of these things are much cheaper than making and airing a TV commercial.

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2016, 12:02:52 PM »
The problem is that Hitech said the commercial didn't generate enough interest to cover the investment made to make/air the commercial. Which is why I think he may be a bit gun shy to do it again.

However there are many other options. Advertising in Model makers magazines, flying magazines and so on. The social media angle is a huge opportunity if used properly. In a few months the WWII air shows will start back up again. What if HTC built a booth and shipped it around the country to players that would volunteer to run it at each show. HTC pays for literature and fees, maybe a computer with an air card and a login to let people give it a try at the shows, volunteers sign a contract to setup and break down the booth. Heck give the "volunteers"  6 months or a year free to do it. All of these things are much cheaper than making and airing a TV commercial.
That could work, I do believe. When I was in Ca. last year, I got to got down to an Air Museum in Palm Springs I believe it was :headscratch: They had a flight sim visitors could play, several actually, Microsoft Flight Sim and Combat Flight Simulator 2 the Pacific theater. There were about 5o visitors at the time, and 30 of them were in line to try the simulators.
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline puller

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2016, 12:20:48 PM »
I don't understand how the military channel commercials didn't work...I for one saw it in 05 and am still here and as I have seen many many more saw this same commercial and are still here... How much could a commercial on an obscure cable channel cost... Well its affiliated with discovery so it might be alot
"The road to Hell is paved with good intentions."
CO   Anti-Horde

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2016, 12:53:39 PM »
I don't understand how the military channel commercials didn't work...I for one saw it in 05 and am still here and as I have seen many many more saw this same commercial and are still here... How much could a commercial on an obscure cable channel cost... Well its affiliated with discovery so it might be alot

The military channel didn't have a broad enough base really. Commercials are expensive so I understand. I think there would prolly be a much larger attraction if it were on comedy Central, fox, history channel, AMC, ect. If you had a really kick bellybutton commercial on a bigger name channel it would probably bring a lot of new comers at least for the 2 week (month, I think) trial.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2016, 01:35:38 PM »
One issue is that many people don't actually watch TV any more in the way people used to. No more reading the program list on the daily paper, no more sitting in front of the telly at a given time. They rather use online services or record the programs so they can skip the ads. This is true especially among the young professionals who like to control their spare time to the max. What, where, when... They are hard to reach but they tend to spend the most money for their leisure.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni