Author Topic: So I'm watching the military channel and guess what?  (Read 9775 times)

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
Re: So I'm watching the military channel and guess what?
« Reply #45 on: January 03, 2017, 12:56:51 PM »
CSGO/LEAGE/DOTA/WOT/WARTHUNDER/GTA ONLINE/project reality

it is extremely successful

GTA Online is not a free to play game.  You have to buy the original product to play the game, you just can't download GTA V for free and then play GTA Online. 

Those others (with the exception of Project Reality, which is pretty much on life support, having to cancel the latest version to run on ARMA3.) are an exception, rather than the rule.  Just look at the over all state of the F2P games, instead of just cherry picking a few. 
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #46 on: January 03, 2017, 12:59:38 PM »
GTA Online is not a free to play game.  You have to buy the original product to play the game, you just can't download GTA V for free and then play GTA Online. 

Those others (with the exception of Project Reality, which is pretty much on life support, having to cancel the latest version to run on ARMA3.) are an exception, rather than the rule.  Just look at the over all state of the F2P games, instead of just cherry picking a few.

I've got no dog in this fight, but is the success rate of F2P really much different from the success rate of all games?  Seems to me there's plenty of dreck regardless of whether it's F2P or not.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline BowHTR

• Gold Member
« Reply #47 on: January 03, 2017, 01:09:58 PM »
CSGO/LEAGE/DOTA/WOT/WARTHUNDER/GTA ONLINE/project reality

it is extremely successful

A few of those are not F2P
AH Supporter Since Tour 35

Offline Slate

• Gold Member
« Reply #48 on: January 04, 2017, 10:32:36 AM »
  Can you play AH3 free? Yes     :banana:

Maybe increase it to 1 month free to really hook the customer.  :joystick:
I always wanted to fight an impossible battle against incredible odds.

Offline SlipKnt

• Gold Member
« Reply #49 on: January 04, 2017, 11:33:41 AM »
ONLY in the spirit of putting an idea out there for discussion...

Not sure if it would be a programming nightmare or not.   Probably but use this as a base line.

Offer up 1 free month.

But, while you are on a free month, you can't control CVs.  You can only take EW & MW planes, etc...  Basically restrict access to some things they can see but not touch until they are a paid up member. 

Gives the noob an opportunity to train and learn by doing a month.  May fill the TA a bit more.  Will likely draw more into the DA and possible WW1. 

Just a thought. 
AKSlpKnT
Arabian Knights
DCS:
SlipKnoT
vCSG-3, VMA-513 Flying Nightmares (AV8B)

Offline cav58d

• Gold Member
« Reply #50 on: January 15, 2017, 04:34:32 PM »
Isn't the fact that desktops are far less prominent now opposed to 2005 be the biggest barrier to a modern commercial?  Circa early 2000's everyone had a desktop in their household, and it was usually enough to at least download and try out Aces High.  I just don't think thats the case now a days?  Unless your a gamer, do people still buy desk tops? Serious question.
<S> Lyme

Sick Puppies II

412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline Randall172

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
« Reply #51 on: January 15, 2017, 04:43:17 PM »

after the initial investment no further payment is necessary, I wouldn't mind paying a one stop cost for AH but the monthly subscription is a bit much to me, and to a new player the other options available are both cheaper and more engaging.

on the project reality (which is totally free there is nothing you could buy and has more players than this) the arma version is still in the works but its being developed by BlueDrake42 with other developers (forum link here: https://forum.bluedrake42.com/index.php?/gc/8-project-reality-arma-iii/ )

play sessions are announced on discord https://discord.gg/dVy4A
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
looking at steams top games (most revenue)

3 are in some way f2p either totally or with an extremely cheap upfront cost (below $20 generally to discourage cheating).

Defense of the Ancients 2
Counterstrike: Global Offensive
Team Fortress 2

but then there is War thunder and World of Tanks both of which are rolling in cash (only a portion of there users are on steam).

the real question is how many new games still use a subscription system.

for AH i wouldn't be against a freemium system one that allows newer players to play for free indefintely but encourages them to play for benefits (ability to fly all planes, use GVs, cap bases etc.)
« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 05:12:39 PM by Randall172 »

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #52 on: January 16, 2017, 10:14:46 AM »
I do wonder if AH3 would benefit from a temporary blended deal, with some FTP options as a form of advertising the game.  IE have the open slots in the server be able to be filled up with FTP accounts where free players only get a very slow/crappy/whatever plane and tank, just to introduce them to what the game is like.  Even if only a single digit percentage wise decided to join and buy a full account, would the game not be ahead?  I personally don't think this would jeopardize current account holders, nobody would drop their payed account to get a "free" one limited to a single plane like a Hurricane or something like that.  There would be more numbers, more interest, etc, and if it did work, and numbers climbed, FTP could just go away once the numbers were back up.  If it didn't work, just eliminate it and try something else.

Perhaps create a ground unit which represents little groups of infantry, controllable like the tanks/GVs now, various unit types like MG, anti tank, mortars, etc.  Let some of these be FTP too, it'd introduce people to the game, them seeing planes and tanks zooming around, many would want to try that part of the game out I would think, plus it'd give the MGs on tanks/gvs some purpose and targets, and give a2g planes more stuff to strafe and fight as well.

That's the only version of anything FTP-ish I'd like to see.  Either way, HTC is working on their front page and is hiring to create a newer help/how to section, that's all really good to see.  It'd be great to see Titanic Tuesday numbers again some day, regardless of how that's achieved.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 10:18:51 AM by Gman »

Offline MADe

• Silver Member
« Reply #53 on: January 16, 2017, 10:35:10 AM »
100 million players, I believe they play on very limited player servers, 16 or 32 maximums.

So its really misleading advertising. AH is very unique in that they have 400 player servers, 600 player servers.
Makes a big difference IMO.

Also these are freemium games. AH has 1 price and done.
 :salute
ASROCK X99 Taichi, INTEL i7 6850@4.5GHz, GIGABYTE GTX 1070G1, Kingston HyperX 3000MHz DDR4, OCZ 256GB RD400, Seasonic 750W PSU, SONY BRAVIA 48W600B, Windows 10 Pro /64

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #54 on: January 16, 2017, 11:02:27 AM »
totally agree with gman. 

all it needs is the eny 45-60 aircraft or bombers to be free.   or the TA / WW1 / DA.   We need a better hook because the 2 week trial in the deep end Main arena will put people off just as much as it gets in. 
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline BuckShot

• Silver Member
« Reply #55 on: January 16, 2017, 11:40:12 AM »
If then DA was free I'd cancel my sub and fly in there all the time. I'd sacrifice the ma to save $180 per year without question.

The current model keeps out the pay to win rif raf.
Game handle: HellBuck

Offline Skeeter0

• Zinc Member
« Reply #56 on: January 16, 2017, 11:43:31 AM »
I'm sure HT gets some value out of these threads, but I have been playing this game since AW, quit several times because I was obsessive about it, joined and left squads, etc. Moreover, I still suck very bad in dogfighting (but I can resupply the hell out of something). The most frustrating part of this game is getting a cool tag name and that damn ENY  for knights (do new players still default to knights? Is that causing ENY?). Anyway, I too notice user numbers falling off sometimes, but then they pick back up. When I came back 6 months ago it was way down and people were talking about the games decline, but I see almost 200 on sometimes now and over 100 in the off hours sometimes and the game is better than ever. It is cyclic and will always be. I don't think we as users have a clue what works for advertisement, what business model works, etc. But I can tell you this game has grabbed my attention and held it for 20 or more years? I can't even remember how long. None of the other games mention come close to simulation like AH.

All respectfully IMHO.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 16, 2017, 12:04:57 PM »
totally agree with gman. 

all it needs is the eny 45-60 aircraft or bombers to be free.

Has there been a major ENY overhaul in the past 4 months?
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline BowHTR

• Gold Member
« Reply #58 on: January 16, 2017, 12:53:00 PM »

Has there been a major ENY overhaul in the past 4 months?

Nope. Not a bit. Highest ENY plane is still 40.
AH Supporter Since Tour 35

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #59 on: January 16, 2017, 01:07:49 PM »
totally agree with gman. 

all it needs is the eny 45-60 aircraft or bombers to be free.   or the TA / WW1 / DA.   We need a better hook because the 2 week trial in the deep end Main arena will put people off just as much as it gets in.

There's an idea. 

Or let Spit I, Hurricane I, and 109E be free for all.  Something like that. 
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)