Author Topic: I Hate windows 10!!!!  (Read 1795 times)

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
Re: I Hate windows 10!!!!
« Reply #45 on: December 28, 2016, 06:45:29 PM »
There are several methods to repair the updates. Some work on some machines and not on others. We can eventually get all of them working put it is a huge pia and time consumer.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #46 on: December 28, 2016, 08:35:22 PM »
so much better after you intstall the suggested updates.  only problem is that after leaving my computer on to download the first update.  it still hasnt updated.  you think 24 hrs would be enough.

semp

Did you do all of the steps?

Make sure you get all the KBs installed manually.   Then do a manual (standalone) install *BEFORE* you re-enable Windows Update.   I think I downloaded the rollup directly but you can do security-only.
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
- THE DAMNED -
King of the Hill Champ Tour 219 - Win Percentage 100
"1v1 Skyyr might be the best pilot ever to play the game." - Via PM, Name Redacted

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #47 on: December 28, 2016, 09:18:04 PM »
I was under the impression that if one downloaded and installed the roll-up that Windows7 would include/install the data telemetry updates as well which will hinder the performance of Windows 7...

I'm on my phone right now, but I used that other thread where in the thread, the kb##### updates that should be removed, uninstalled, not downloaded were listed....and Skuzzy even linked to a program called GWX Control Panel, which has been working pretty well for me, anyway....

If someone doesn't link that other thread in/to this thread... I'll do it when I fire up my computer in the morning after I get up...

Hope this helps

TC
« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 09:20:55 PM by TequilaChaser »
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #48 on: December 29, 2016, 04:05:24 AM »
Here is the link to the thread I was referring to in my above post, that Skuzzy had posted back I think in Oct. 2015

Unnecessary Windows Updates
http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,71591.msg4998528.html#msg4998528

hope this helps

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #49 on: December 29, 2016, 07:48:57 AM »
so much better after you intstall the suggested updates.  only problem is that after leaving my computer on to download the first update.  it still hasnt updated.  you think 24 hrs would be enough.

semp

24 isn't enough. I check for updated manually, allowing Microsoft some time to fix the updates before installing them. It took something between 36 to 48 hours for my system to get the latest 7 updates for my Win7.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #50 on: December 29, 2016, 08:13:24 AM »
24 isn't enough. I check for updated manually, allowing Microsoft some time to fix the updates before installing them. It took something between 36 to 48 hours for my system to get the latest 7 updates for my Win7.

I did the manual update fix listed above.  My updates now take less than three minutes.   

You can download the security patches only if you wish.
”KILLER V”
- THE DAMNED -
"1v1 Skyyr might be the best pilot ever to play the game." - Via PM, Name Redacted

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #51 on: December 29, 2016, 08:43:57 AM »
Vraciu, I've tried the link a couple of times. Each time even the first update on their list has launched the seemingly infinite "looking for updates" screen.

I might have missed or misread some crucial instructions there.
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #52 on: December 29, 2016, 11:28:50 AM »
I downloaded the never 10 program right after seeing Skuzzy's post about it. Thanks VERY much for getting the word out on it. After that Win7 did a couple updates then suddenly never 10 blocked everything when microshaft started screwing with the updates. My system is stable and works fine as is. I'll just keep it going like this.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Morpheus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #53 on: December 29, 2016, 12:46:46 PM »
who here suggests to download a copy of windows 7? I'm starting to think that a copy of the OS is ok through downloading a copy of the OS.

<S>
Morph
If you don't receive Jesus Christ, you don't receive the gift of righteousness.

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #54 on: December 29, 2016, 02:17:07 PM »
Vraciu, I've tried the link a couple of times. Each time even the first update on their list has launched the seemingly infinite "looking for updates" screen.

I might have missed or misread some crucial instructions there.

Yep.  There are some steps you have to do to make it work, including disabling Windows Update via the Services function in Comtrol Panel.  When I get back next week I will walk you through it if you dwant not figure it out by then.
”KILLER V”
- THE DAMNED -

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #55 on: December 29, 2016, 02:17:56 PM »
who here suggests to download a copy of windows 7? I'm starting to think that a copy of the OS is ok through downloading a copy of the OS.

<S>
Morph

Just buy one on Amazon.   As Skuzzy said, make sure you have drivers for your stuff first.
”KILLER V”
- THE DAMNED -

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #56 on: December 29, 2016, 08:24:50 PM »
Your laptop likely has a hidden restore drive to restore it to factory condition so even if you mess it up it will be easy enough to bring back but you would lose data if it's not backed up.

Like everyone else has said, the key will be if the manufacturer has drivers available for Win 7.

That said I've been using Win10 for over a year now and like it.  There's nothing I can't do that I could in Win 7 or XP.  If it was me I'd spend some time getting used to it.  Win 7 support isn't going to last forever so, unless you plan to move to Linux, you're eventually going to have to make the transition anyway.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #57 on: December 30, 2016, 11:11:41 AM »
If you buy one online, be sure it is a full version and not a upgrade version.

If you let it format your drive, which it will probably require since you are rolling back, you will not have the second partition that holds the recovery windows 10. This means you need to be sure that you have your drivers for win 7 because if they are not available you will have to buy a copy of win 10 to fix it.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #58 on: December 30, 2016, 12:32:41 PM »
It will require you to format (actually delete) the system partition, leaving the recovery partition intact. However, should you ever need it, take some precautions since your boot system might lose the recovery partition.

So, what you should do is to create the factory reset media your system offers. If you already have made it, you're golden. If not, in case you've not unchecked the nag screen, simply follow the instructions. You'd probably need a 32 GB USB stick. If you have unchecked the nag screen, or if there never has been one, you might still have the HP Support Center program running, the question mark inside a blue ball icon. You should find the recovery media creator there. If that's not an option any more, simply open the "start menu" and start typing "recovery" and you should find the recovery media creator program.

Sending you a PM, too.

Kotisivuni

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #59 on: December 31, 2016, 08:43:31 AM »
Dumb question here. How is 10 on the older games that came out back in the day of windows 98. IE command and conquer stuff? Win 7 seems to run the older games pretty seamlessly.

Windows NT 4 type OS to the present windows 10 won't run the dos4gw 32 bit extender and direct hardware manipulation used by older games unless you spend a bit
of time setting up an emulation so your sound and controls work.

Even with that worked out, it's buggy and laggy as compared to the last OS microsoft offered that worked well with the 4gw extender.......which is win98se.

I have the latest hardware that will run 98se for older games and it supports bus mastering of isa slots and use the nt/xp/7/10 box for the new stuff.

Be careful if you desire any isa slot action with the rare modern motherboard that has one as they don't support true bus mastering of the isa slots.

The only modern motherboards that allow old isa slot hardware are industrial and you still have to make sure it's real bus mastering that they have.

I run into this often when servicing car dynos that use isa based controller cards and upgrading is either impossible or cost prohibitive.

BTW........a KT7A raid based system with an ati aiw8500 and a sound blaster awe32 running win98se makes revisiting older games an awesome experience.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2016, 08:54:46 AM by icepac »