Author Topic: There IS a new Windows coming . . . Insider Build  (Read 1660 times)

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
There IS a new Windows coming . . . Insider Build
« on: December 27, 2016, 11:44:30 AM »
The new version, which Insiders could have any day now, will include Cortana in the setup routine. DO NOT USE Cortana, because it will work, badly. You should know already that voice isn't something that is working well, yet. I have Cortana deactivated on my task bar, but now Microsoft is bringing back the WIN + C shortcut, so if you typo WIN + X as often as I do, you may initialize Cortana by mistake. I hate that.

Good news! Updates are getting a pause button! Well, not literally since it's a setting, but you can defer updates for up to 35 days.

There are a lot of other new 'features,' but nothing that really hit me as a "Wow!"

If you are not an insider this will get wrapped up and included in build 2017 for March update.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
Re: There IS a new Windows coming . . . Insider Build
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2016, 05:23:01 PM »
Thank you for the heads up, guess I need to go check my MSDN account

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2016, 01:55:22 PM »
They mentioned something about a "Gaming mode" that is supposed to make games run better, but I didn't see anything about whether it would make the March update, or not.

Probably not, huh?
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline rvflyer

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2016, 05:44:58 PM »
I don't type W+X I just right click on the windows start button bottom left.

The new version, which Insiders could have any day now, will include Cortana in the setup routine. DO NOT USE Cortana, because it will work, badly. You should know already that voice isn't something that is working well, yet. I have Cortana deactivated on my task bar, but now Microsoft is bringing back the WIN + C shortcut, so if you typo WIN + X as often as I do, you may initialize Cortana by mistake. I hate that.

Good news! Updates are getting a pause button! Well, not literally since it's a setting, but you can defer updates for up to 35 days.

There are a lot of other new 'features,' but nothing that really hit me as a "Wow!"

If you are not an insider this will get wrapped up and included in build 2017 for March update.
Tour 70 2005 to present

Offline TequilaChaser

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2016, 03:58:38 AM »
They mentioned something about a "Gaming mode" that is supposed to make games run better, but I didn't see anything about whether it would make the March update, or not.

Probably not, huh?

says I need to renew my account, I hadn't realized it had been over 2 years since last time I had logged in, man does time fly.......

Not sure if I want to continue with being a part of the MSDN Developers Network......need to do some reading first

My last big hooray was back when they were developing Windows 7 and I slacked off while they were developing Windows blue or Windows 10

"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline TequilaChaser

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2016, 07:51:40 AM »
OK, I stumbled across what you must be referring to, Chalenge

I was under the impression that it was a "NEW WINDOWS OS", going by the title of your thread...

It's an Insiders build of Windows 10: Windows 10 Creators Update Build 14997

Sources:
http://winaero.com/blog/a-new-game-mode-is-coming-to-windows-10/

https://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-is-adding-a-new-game-mode-to-windows-10-to-boost-gaming-performance

"A new secret feature in the recently leaked Windows 10 Creators Update build 14997 was discovered today.

The upcoming major update to Windows 10 is getting a special Game Mode to boost game performance and provide the best experience for gamers.

Well known Windows enthusiast "WalkingCat" discovered the game mode in the recently leaked Windows 10 build 14997. According to the research he has done, Windows 10 will be able to adjust its resource allocation logic (for CPU/Gfx etc.) to boost a game's performance when the user is playing it

It looks like the operating system will get a built-in software optimizer to speed up game play. It is unknown yet how the operating system will detect running games. As you remember, Windows 10 build 14997 was not supposed to be released to the public. It is an internal build which comes with a lot of features not available in regular Insider Preview builds. It is not clear when exactly the game mode will land in the public preview branch.

Besides this feature, there are plenty of new features that can be found in Windows 10 build 14997.

Those include
• Enable Blue Light Reduction in Windows 10
• Create Live Folders in Start Menu in Windows 10 (Tile Folders)
• Set Tabs Aside in Microsoft Edge (Tab Groups)
• Show or Hide Tab Previews in Edge in Windows 10 Creators Update
• Pause Windows Updates in Windows 10 Creators Update

Windows 10 Creators Update is expected to be released in Spring 2017. However, it is possible that the Game Mode feature gets posponed till Redstone 3, which rolls out in late 2017.

Microsoft is working to reinvent Windows as a gaming platform constantly. While many parts of the OS are rewritten based on the Universal Windows Platform, most Windows users are still using classic desktop apps and games that are played with a keyboard and mouse. The built-in game optimizer feature can make them consider a migration to Windows 10, even if they do not like its user interface and UWP features. "

TC

« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 07:53:13 AM by TequilaChaser »

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2016, 09:37:43 AM »
Essentially, Windows 10 is the last version of Windows. However, every year there will be something like the Anniversary update which brings all of the updates, to date, together into the latest version. Afterwards, you cannot go back and buy Windows 10 the initial release, because there is only the latest Anniversary release. That's the way it supposed to work, although Microsoft continues to hedge its bets.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2016, 10:54:17 AM »
Somehow that sounds like they've just invented a new phrase to substitute "new version". Or is it just me?
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2016, 12:05:06 PM »
Well, after you have announced that a certain number will be the last version, it becomes impossible to build up any hype for any of the hard work you have put into 'updates.' Also, if it really is the last version, than how do they plan on paying for future development? It just seems like Microsoft got eaten by a stupidity virus.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2016, 12:42:09 PM »
Stupidity virus... I like that expression.

Yet, I can imagine ways to make people pay for future development. Despite the updates being free, they could make them to be compatible with certain hardware only. That would force people to buy new computers including a new licensed Windows. People like you and me, building from scratch and recycling a license are in the minority, the bulk comes from branded computers, both home and office versions. Making them outdate every five years or so would profit both Microsoft and the computer and hardware manufacturers.

Don't tell anyone about this scenario in case they somehow wouldn't already have planned it like this...  :noid
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2016, 01:21:43 PM »
Yeah, henceforth it will be "1607 compatible," or "v2017 ready."

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2016, 02:58:34 PM »
Well, after you have announced that a certain number will be the last version, it becomes impossible to build up any hype for any of the hard work you have put into 'updates.' Also, if it really is the last version, than how do they plan on paying for future development? It just seems like Microsoft got eaten by a stupidity virus.

They are deriving revenue from the data they collect from users of the operating system. 

I'll speculate here a bit.  Once they have hit the desired saturation point, then they will switch to a annual rental fee for the operating system.  For businesses, it will get marketed as a support fee.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline TequilaChaser

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2016, 03:33:04 PM »
They are deriving revenue from the data they collect from users of the operating system. 

I'll speculate here a bit.  Once they have hit the desired saturation point, then they will switch to a annual rental fee for the operating system.  For businesses, it will get marketed as a support fee.

Regarding speculation of a possible future rental fee whether it be monthly fee or an annual fee....reading what you just posted Skuzzy seemed to have reminded me of an article I read years ago about MS and them buying up land in Washington State and building ??? I believe it was servers/data farm....iirc...

TC
« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 03:35:04 PM by TequilaChaser »

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2016, 07:28:53 AM »
MS wants a big chunk of the google money making scheme I would guess.  To harvest information like google does then market that is where the money is I would think.

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2016, 08:16:22 AM »
Somehow that sounds like they've just invented a new phrase to substitute "new version". Or is it just me?

Bingo. 
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)