Author Topic: NVIDIA GT730M trouble  (Read 672 times)

Offline pops57

• Nickel Member
NVIDIA GT730M trouble
« on: January 28, 2017, 09:46:07 PM »
I'm very limited in my tech skills and am experiencing a problem I can't resolve.
My NVIDIA Ge Force GT730M card is working for other games I use on my computer but when I try to use it to run the new aceshigh I get sound and a white screen. It worked in the previous version just fine.
Any thoughts?

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
Re: NVIDIA GT730M trouble
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2017, 03:36:40 AM »
The reason is that your video card is below the bare minimums. The GT 730M ranks lower than the baseline 9800 GTX.

The new AH3 relies heavily on the video card while AH2 was more depending on the processor. Thus the old game could be played with a good office computer whereas the new game needs a system designed for gaming.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2017, 07:11:58 AM »
Unfortunately, Bizman is quite right.  The 730M simply does not have the processing power to run Aces High III.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline pops57

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2017, 06:18:31 PM »
The game plays on the integrated video.So my integrated video is better than the GT730M? That does not make sense to me. Why would a company install a video card with less capabilities than the integrated? My card has always given better performance in games than the integrated until this issue. My system is ; ACER Aspire V3 771G-9441 lap top, 8 gig ram, intel Core i7 3rd Gen processor. Any other thoughts?
Thanks

Offline pops57

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2017, 06:23:03 PM »
Any suggestions on a reasonably priced card I could install to meet mins?

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2017, 08:36:31 PM »
From a quick look , what I found is you can NOT upgrade the video card in that laptop. The specs shown here meet the minimum requirements but you'd would have to turn EVERYTHING down to the minimums to even get it to run.

When the game starts click on video settings and lower the texture size to the lowest. Then in game once you get it started go to the graphics setting and turn off and lower everything in there.

The game will look like crap and even on the lowest setting may not play it very well. To be sure your card is being used for the game right click the desk top, select the Nvidia settings and under managing 3d be sure AH is set to run with the better video. Also when starting the game be sure in the video settings show the Nvidia card as well.

The bad news is unless you buy a "gamers" laptop designed for gaming your going to be disappointed in the performance a laptop will give you.

Good luck

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2017, 01:53:28 AM »
The advice Fugi gave is how to make the laptop use the better card. However, as you suggested, the better card in this case is not actually better.

As for guessing why Acer has installed a weak video card alongside with a decent integrated one... The nice explanation is that the cards support different elements and features. The less nice explanation is that they're fooling people who only know that Nvidia is good for gaming, people who don't know how the Nvidia naming practice correlates with gaming power.

For future reference a quick Nvidia guide: GT is lower than GTX. The tens indicate the performance level within a generation told in hundreds - note that the current one is ten hundreds! M stands for mobile and is always weaker than its desktop counterpart. Last but not least, video RAM (memory) should be of the GDDR5 type. There's inexpensive cards with a truckload of DDR3, don't fall for them! Quantity isn't a synonym for speed. DDR3 is fast enough for the computer but ultimately slow in graphics.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline pops57

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2017, 06:20:47 AM »
Thanks for the help guys. I'm not going to be purchasing any new computers any time soon, so I'll just continue playing on the integrated video capabilities. Hopefully that will continue to function, if not I'll have to leave Aces High behind. Can't afford/justify new comp. for the sake of a single game. Would be a sad day if that comes to pass. :salute