Author Topic: Halo Icons at short range  (Read 2163 times)

Offline Dawger

• Silver Member
Re: Halo Icons at short range
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2017, 04:32:16 PM »
It contrasts even that condition to see the con better than your screen shot. And a silver or light gray aircraft will tend to blend into a silver rock formation as you have conveniently picked out of hour and 13 minute film. That mossie will stand out against the green clutter in a second which you know will happen next. And picking out planes against backgrounds in real life varies from impossible to no problemo depending on a universe of factors that cannot be controlled other than "keep looking" as the pilot.

When I was a kid at the Ft. Meade flying club my father and friends would agree on Saturday mornings to fly in to Fredrick Maryland for lunch. Lots of farmland around Fredrick. We would get up to 6 small aircraft showing up over a designated spot over 30 minutes. Half the time it took a few minutes to find each other looking down for those lower than us even in Cessna white. To kill time waiting sometimes we would play tail chase with up to 4 planes. Even with the kids on board we lost sight of each other.

Here is what this wish simplifies down to.

Wish:

Hitech make planes stand out lit up like a neon sign so I can see them looking down and at a distance.

It is true that finding another aircraft against the terrain can be challenging.

That isnt the issue being discussed.

Once you know exactly where the aircraft is, at 400 yards or less they are very easy to see.

And we know exactly where they are and they are rendered invisble by several contributing factors in AH.

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2017, 04:54:34 PM »
It is true that finding another aircraft against the terrain can be challenging.

That isnt the issue being discussed.

Once you know exactly where the aircraft is, at 400 yards or less they are very easy to see.

And we know exactly where they are and they are rendered invisble by several contributing factors in AH.

You mean like the blazing red icons in our face @ D400 or less?  At that close of a range the icons are a distraction from the target.
Just put a little thin red bar beneath the enemy, when they are that close.  We do not need the plane-type or range info, when the con is
directly in front of us.
Just my 2 cents.

Coogan
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2017, 07:56:43 PM »
Couple of years ago someone wish listed that the icon gradually began shrinking until at 400 it was I think only the range marker. Red is red and you shoot it. Outside of 400 the country tag appears then at some distance you get back the plane type designation. Things like this probably need to be on a toggle because not everyone will want to give up the full monti icon like it is now.

If you are trying to get Hitech to completely scrap the current Icon system and replace it over night with what you want today. Your chances of success are proportional to how Hitech hopped into a post and liked the recent wish about changing the radar circles and it was in the next patch while needing ongoing tweaking. It's back to his occasional admonishment about the nature of a wish. The vast majority of wishes are for personal outcomes, not global in scope. And then there's always getting lucky and he had been musing updating the thing in your wish already.

This was for Chilli because this is what he wants but won't just wish list it directly: Hitech make planes stand out lit up like a neon sign so I can see them looking down and at a distance. 
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Dawger

• Silver Member
« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2017, 08:28:45 PM »
Dale will either recognize there is an issue with aircraft visibility at short range or he won't.

It is his game.

Just because there is little is no reason not to post ideas for improvement.

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2017, 04:24:08 AM »
Actually, it took me about 2 minutes to find the battle between Bruv in the Ki84 and Beer in the rather large Mossie (I got lucky).  Bruv caught Beer in what appeared to be an attempted Hammer Head maneuver in which the incredible Ki84 was able to defeat.  After the Mossie became oiled it appeared that Beer either tried to dive away or simply stalled.  I was astonished that the aircraft became invisible at 489 yards against the rocky terrain.

Bustr, I can guess that several things contributed to this.  Most have been discussed in this thread.  I directed the picture to you as an example of there being more than just the issue with the sight glass.

Because settings such as screen resolution, monitor color / contrast / gamma and field of view have multiple variations in results (not to mention color blindness and / or faulty vision) these sort of comparisons echo more of the "true" complaint underlining this wish.  The game plays fine.  If Dale does nothing, the game will still play fine.  It won't stop me from grumbling when running into this kind of experience.  A good place to start would be, as you suggested to take a hard look at the sight glass.  Just as important to hypothesize that would not eliminate all of the complaints, and the wishlist would take on an even more frustrating  :bhead tone, ie "I thought we fixed that.... now what?"

As for me asking for neon signs, in most of my posts, I am asking for boost in detail via adjustment of power in certain layers of the skin.  You know how this works, and it could result in more contrast.  Also, take a look at the line added to dar ring by HiTech today, not even visible until zoomed in at some level.  I think that works extremely well as designed. 

That came from HiTech's own vision of how that should work.  Would he have bothered to tweak it, if he had no feedback on the original concept?  That is hard to say; mostly because we are an opinionated  bunch, and he has given us the tool to speak up.  Heck, he gave us a front porch view during Alpha and Beta testing of a number of works in progress.  The man must not ever sit still.