Author Topic: Hell Over the Hinterland design (Feb/March 2017 scenario)  (Read 12894 times)

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
Hell Over the Hinterland design (Feb/March 2017 scenario)
« on: January 12, 2017, 07:59:43 PM »
Hello, all.

Here is the design so far:

http://electraforge.com/brooke/flightsims/scenarios/201702_HellOverHinterland/rules.html

We are planning it for a number of players that are slightly (but not greatly) larger than number of players in the two previous 4-frame scenarios, which dictates some elements of the design.

Note, there were *a lot* of allied tactical bomber sorties in the Battle of the Bulge (going after bridges, troops, trains, rail lines, ammo dumps, road crossings, etc.).  So it is quite realistic to have some 9th AF B-26's in there.  In fact, it would be unrealistic not to have some of those.

Offline Vudu15

• Gold Member
Re: Hell Over the Hinterland design (Feb/March 2017 scenario)
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2017, 09:57:20 PM »
You also need to place that being in correctly named groups goes for COs as well. Just for clarity.

Also how do you intend to enforce your rules for each side CO to your specifications? Are you going to have yourself as overseer or are you going to be on one team and hide an inside man on the other? Will you just ban said person or will you give them direct orders even though you will be playing for a side?

"No odds too great"

"I was a horse ahead at the end" - Nathan Bedford Forrest
Training Video List https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL54E5CE

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2017, 10:40:38 PM »
Minor quibbles in the write-up.

1. Our Spit IX is the 1943 type and underpowered for the time period of the scenario. Better to use the Mk.VIII or Mk.XVI.
2. Jg 6 was moved to Poland when it traded it's 190A's for Doras in January, 1945. Are you planing on this scenario being set before or after January 1st? This will help determine the best Luftwaffe units to use. Remember that the Bodenplatte mission resulted in some units being almost entirely wiped out.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2017, 11:41:09 AM »
You also need to place that being in correctly named groups goes for COs as well. Just for clarity.

Will do.

Also how do you intend to enforce your rules for each side CO

Swareiam is now a Scenario CM.  He will be on one side, and I will be on the other, and we would each work with our sides if needed.  However, this scenario doesn't have any setup that CO's have to do, so I don't anticipate there needing to be any instructions from CM's to CO's.

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2017, 11:49:27 AM »
Minor quibbles in the write-up.

1. Our Spit IX is the 1943 type and underpowered for the time period of the scenario. Better to use the Mk.VIII or Mk.XVI.
2. Jg 6 was moved to Poland when it traded it's 190A's for Doras in January, 1945. Are you planing on this scenario being set before or after January 1st? This will help determine the best Luftwaffe units to use. Remember that the Bodenplatte mission resulted in some units being almost entirely wiped out.

Redtail is the one who chose the groups -- I'll leave it for him to talk to you about that.  Time period is probably just prior to Jan 1st.

There were lots of Spit IX's there, but I'm not an expert on how our version is vs. what was around late 1944.  Our Spit IX is a little faster than the VIII non-WEP and a little slower with WEP, so maybe about a wash.  The Spit 16 is about same non-WEP and faster on WEP, so that would be OK if it is a better fit for the Spit IX that was historically there than what we have in the game.

I'll let others weigh in on this aspect of Spit IX vs. Spit 16.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 12:04:47 PM by Brooke »

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2017, 11:54:18 AM »
Everyone:

The germanyw terrain is available, but as it doesn't have custom textures for winter, it is a flat, white terrain (i.e., no trees at all) and -- while wintery -- looks a little funny.

The germany terrain looks much nicer, but of course no snow at all.

Please take a look at each terrain and lets hear what people think about which terrain we should use.

Offline BFOOT1

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2017, 07:40:18 PM »
Sign me up for the 352nd!
Member of G3MF
III Gruppe, 8 Staffel, JG52, flying Black 12 (Kuban Scenario)

Offline swareiam

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2017, 08:14:15 PM »
Redtail is the one who chose the groups -- I'll leave it for him to talk to you about that.  Time period is probably just prior to Jan 1st.

There were lots of Spit IX's there, but I'm not an expert on how our version is vs. what was around late 1944.  Our Spit IX is a little faster than the VIII non-WEP and a little slower with WEP, so maybe about a wash.  The Spit 16 is about same non-WEP and faster on WEP, so that would be OK if it is a better fit for the Spit IX that was historically there than what we have in the game.

I'll let others weigh in on this aspect of Spit IX vs. Spit 16.

Well initially there were more aircraft to consider. The Spitfire XIV and XVI were in service for most of that year. I think we can accommodate the change. But as Brooke eluded to, there were still many Spitfire IXs and VIIIs in operation in the area.

Which would everyone like to see the XIV or XVI?
AKWarHwk of the Arabian Knights
Aces High Scenario, FSO, and Combat Challenge Teams
Don't let your ego get too close to your position, so that if your position gets shot down, your ego doesn't go with it. General Colin Powell

Offline SIM

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2017, 08:56:39 PM »
Comical...............simply comical.

Offline Vudu15

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2017, 09:07:01 PM »
I would think have options for all fighters available to both side during this time set squadrons and numbers of aircraft and let the Cos decide what planes will make up their fighting force.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

"No odds too great"

"I was a horse ahead at the end" - Nathan Bedford Forrest
Training Video List https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL54E5CE

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2017, 12:06:50 AM »
I think it's best to have the types that were most prevalent.  That seems to be the Spit IX.

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2017, 12:32:03 AM »
I'm thinking that the rule set is gelled enough to open registration next week and set frame-1 date of Feb 25.

That would give us plenty of time for any final adjustments and more than 5 weeks for registration.

Offline Phast12

• Copper Member
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2017, 11:41:51 AM »
What happened to the plane set that we voted on for 40? I can understand some adjustment, but this list is vastly different from the write up.

Hell Over the Hinterland.  The Battle of the Bulge is about to see its first day of clear weather in two weeks. P-51D, P-38L, P-47D-40, Spitfire XVI, Spitfire VIII, Typhoon Mk IB, Tempest V, Mosquito VI, BF109G-14, ME109K-4, FW190A-8, FW190F-8, FW190D-9, TA-152, ME410, BF110G-2.
Phast
JG4
WW1 - Jasta 11

Offline Kanth

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2017, 11:47:19 AM »
Not only were the planes I was interested in flying for Allied, removed.  But what's left that I would have fought in is relegated to attack roles.

:noid

Gone from the game. Please see Spikes or Nefarious for any Ahevents.net admin needs.

Offline Phast12

• Copper Member
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2017, 12:05:35 PM »
Is there a reason all of the roles for each plane is mapped out and forced into that role, instead of giving that control to the CIC to fully plan with all of his tools? You can still set the requirements for a certain number of Attack runs.
Phast
JG4
WW1 - Jasta 11