Author Topic: Hell Over the Hinterland design (Feb/March 2017 scenario)  (Read 13903 times)

Online Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Re: Hell Over the Hinterland design (Feb/March 2017 scenario)
« Reply #75 on: January 18, 2017, 05:57:24 PM »
Brooke, you should stop lumping BOWL with the other scenarios where the the scoring and performance was at least close to balanced. BOWL was so imbalanced it was mathematically impossible for the Axis to win without achieving nearly perfect performance. If the allied bombers dropped on target, they won. It was that simple.

This is what worries me about the scoring of this event. The basic math presented by ROC shows a great potential for runaway scoring by bombing. 
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #76 on: January 18, 2017, 06:35:47 PM »
Brooke, you should stop lumping BOWL with the other scenarios where the the scoring and performance was at least close to balanced. BOWL was so imbalanced it was mathematically impossible for the Axis to win without achieving nearly perfect performance. If the allied bombers dropped on target, they won. It was that simple.

This is what worries me about the scoring of this event. The basic math presented by ROC shows a great potential for runaway scoring by bombing.

I hear you, Devil -- and thank you for communicating in a nice way.  It certainly isn't my goal to have things unbalanced.  BOWL has a bombers:fighters ratio of 0.49 -- way above the 0.28 of this scenario -- and they were heavy bombers at higher altitude than what we have here (which makes them harder to intercept and easier to defend).  Also, the scoring system here isn't at all similar to BOWL or The Final Battle, but completely different.

As for scoring vs. setup, you can pick the scoring to take into account the setup and what you think will be typical outcome.

For example, you could set up a scenario where bombers always get stomped.  Then you have a scoring system where, if they manage even a few drops on target, they get a lot of points.  Even though bombers always get stomped, that scoring system could still provide a balanced scoring.  You could set up where bombers always get to target, and then you'd make the points per drop of bomber very, very low.

Here, I'm picking 1:1 fighters:fighters and 0.28 bombers:fighters to be in line with past scenarios in general -- not BOWL specifically (which again is 0.49, not 0.28) -- to provide an environment where bombers will typically get in fights on the way to and/or from target and sometimes get to target but not always.  This is what I think of as being OK for bombers -- not too easy, not a wipeout every time.  Then I'm picking a scoring system so that what I think will be typical results in a delta of zero points.  It's not a number picked out of thin air.

Now, the best way to do it is for me to run scoring on lots and lots of past frames and multiple past scenarios and adjust points per drop so that the average is zero and see what the probability distributions look like.  That is about the most-solid way you can set this parameter.  However, it entails writing computer code to do that.  I will give it a try to see if I can pull it off over the next several days.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 06:51:31 PM by Brooke »

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #77 on: January 18, 2017, 08:52:44 PM »
Fly with the Blue Nosed Bastards! Join the 352nd FG today!
:aok
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #78 on: January 18, 2017, 10:17:53 PM »
The insults thrown around in this post is the exact reason I will no longer participate in scenarios.  One chooses a favorite side (axis or allied) and gets angered because they aren't in his favor.  So it seems to them.

Brooke has done this for years.  I've never in all my years have heard the whining and insults that I've heard in the last 4 or so Scenarios.

Brooke you've always done a great job taking care as best you can to balance the competition.  Even though in real life during the war it wasn't balanced.

I know many who feel the same way I do.  The bickering and the jousting for an advantage in here has finally got to the point of childishness.

The insults don't help either.  Brooke, I know you love to do this.  I wouldn't do it with this crowd.  Let the Air Marshalls and LW Generals design it themselves.

Maybe 12 people will then play.  Attendance for scenarios is at the lowest point in my almost 18 years in Aces High.  I wonder why.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 10:20:35 PM by Hajo »
- The Flying Circus -

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #79 on: January 19, 2017, 06:39:54 AM »
The insults thrown around in this post is the exact reason I will no longer participate in scenarios.  One chooses a favorite side (axis or allied) and gets angered because they aren't in his favor.  So it seems to them.

Brooke has done this for years.  I've never in all my years have heard the whining and insults that I've heard in the last 4 or so Scenarios.

Brooke you've always done a great job taking care as best you can to balance the competition.  Even though in real life during the war it wasn't balanced.

I know many who feel the same way I do.  The bickering and the jousting for an advantage in here has finally got to the point of childishness.

The insults don't help either.  Brooke, I know you love to do this.  I wouldn't do it with this crowd.  Let the Air Marshalls and LW Generals design it themselves.

Maybe 12 people will then play.  Attendance for scenarios is at the lowest point in my almost 18 years in Aces High.  I wonder why.
You won't hear any whining if you come fly a Jug or P51 for the allies :aok
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline fudgums

• Gold Member
« Reply #80 on: January 19, 2017, 09:30:49 AM »

Completely agree, it's unbelievable how so many people can't figure this out. Every time I think about coming back, I read this stuff and I already have enough drama in my life.
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Offline DubiousKB

• Silver Member
« Reply #81 on: January 19, 2017, 10:33:54 AM »

See you all Friday! I am terrible in chosen ride, but who cares it's FSO!  :rock
56th Fighter Group -  Jug Life

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #82 on: January 19, 2017, 10:34:41 AM »

I completely agree.  It seems many people put in a maximum effort to remove the fun.  I'm only here for the fun, aren't we all?  Shouldn't we all?  I'm going to have fun playing this game, period.  Nothing you do can take that away from me.

YOU are responsible for your own happiness.  It is a choice.
Wag more, bark less.

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #83 on: January 19, 2017, 01:55:35 PM »
I'm bitterly disappointed that this won't have a squadron of Meteor mk III's vs Me 262-s.    :furious
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #84 on: January 19, 2017, 02:04:18 PM »
Wag more, bark less.

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #85 on: January 19, 2017, 06:03:56 PM »
I'm bitterly disappointed that this won't have a squadron of Meteor mk III's vs Me 262-s.    :furious

We'll make up for it with "The Final Countdown" scenario.  We don't have F-14's, but we'll sub Me 262's off the CV's.

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #86 on: January 19, 2017, 06:11:11 PM »
Thank you, guys.

Hajo and Fudgums, please don't let a few negative posts throw you off -- there are lots of guys in the community, me included, who would love to fly with you guys.

Even guys who post a negative post, they are still our brothers in arms who love flying in Aces High.  Their hearts are in the right place even if emotions sometimes run high.

Come on in, guys!  Newer generations of Aces High pilots will benefit from the atmosphere you guys bring, and you will love the action!  :aok

Offline swareiam

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Gold Member
« Reply #87 on: January 19, 2017, 06:28:17 PM »
Brooke is right.

Herr Hajo and Fudgums,

I/SG4 has two hot seats waiting for you.

It is the best of both worlds. We'll be ripping up the RAF concrete in places like Heesch, Evere and Einhoven as well as watching the plumes of flame trailing from their Flugzeuge.

Hell Over the Hinterland
Click on link above.

I created this convenient link for you to the registration page. Com'n let's have some fun.  :aok

:salute
AKWarHwk of the Arabian Knights
Aces High Scenario, FSO, and Combat Challenge Teams
Don't let your ego get too close to your position, so that if your position gets shot down, your ego doesn't go with it. General Colin Powell

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #88 on: January 19, 2017, 06:43:58 PM »
Thank you, guys.

Hajo and Fudgums, please don't let a few negative posts throw you off -- there are lots of guys in the community, me included, who would love to fly with you guys.

Even guys who post a negative post, they are still our brothers in arms who love flying in Aces High.  Their hearts are in the right place even if emotions sometimes run high.

Come on in, guys!  Newer generations of Aces High pilots will benefit from the atmosphere you guys bring, and you will love the action!  :aok

Brooke I hope these folks know that scenarios wouldn't have occurred if we hadn't dragged the format over from Air Warrior.  As in Air Warrior you were the one in Aces High

that brought this format back.  Started it in Aces High.  There would be no scenarios without you in Aces High and YOU were the driving force in Air Warrior.  You are due way

more respect then you are given.  I would never post on these boards the derogatory responses focused on your gamesmanship.  These folks that participate in these scenarios

owe you much.  You put up with their crap, whining and now insults and you don't have to.  Brooke I can't participate, or say I won't participate with so many ingrates and children.

To me it's the respect or should I say lack thereof of some of these children who have no idea from whence this format came, and who started it in Aces High, and you take all the

abuse for spending your personal time when I know you have a family to tend to.  I remember also the complaining and whimpering about Fencer and Guppy for DGSII. OH! and the

insults they also received about DGSII.  I, at my age do not suffer children well........supposedly grown-up children.  I apologize Brooke, you know I've participated in Scenarios in

AW and most of them in Aces High.  Brooke you are owed much......and receive poo instead.  Let them find some one else to waste hours of personal time to design Scenarios and receive nothing but grief for doing so.

You Sir deserve a break and nothing but good will from this community.  Instead you get this.  By participating imho I would be condoning their behavior.  And I don't.
- The Flying Circus -

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #89 on: January 19, 2017, 07:58:52 PM »
We don't have F-14's

Says who?   :noid

There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!