Author Topic: Linux  (Read 3131 times)

Offline MADe

• Silver Member
Linux
« on: January 15, 2017, 02:53:44 PM »
Can you play ah with linux os?

ASROCK X99 Taichi, INTEL i7 6850@4.5GHz, GIGABYTE GTX 1070G1, Kingston HyperX 3000MHz DDR4, OCZ 256GB RD400, Seasonic 750W PSU, SONY BRAVIA 48W600B, Windows 10 Pro /64

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
Re: Linux
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2017, 03:12:16 PM »
try see if you can make it work.  but there will be fps hit, lots of problems.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2017, 05:08:54 PM »

Yes, you can get AH to run on a Linux OS (other players have done so in the past) but how well it will run depends on a lot of factors.  In other words, YMMV.
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline redcatcherb412

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2017, 10:03:23 AM »
Yes you can, at least under ubuntu the WINE windows emulator will run AH, but jerky and CTD a bit. I found it not really playable, but I don't have a PC considered high-horsepower either.
Ground Pounders ...

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2017, 10:08:57 AM »

I wish it was.  Then I could dump Windows once and for all.
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline SinOjos

• Zinc Member
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2017, 01:05:27 PM »
It is a real shame that more game developers do not take advantage of open source. If AH were to transition to open source, the game would grow much faster, due to all the open source resources, and people that are willing to contribute. I am suggesting using existing open source projects, not making AH open source.

With dockers (containers) coming along nicely. It would be easy to provide a docker that would allow anyone to run AH on any version of Linux. Dockers allows the developer to provide not only their software, but all the dependencies that their software needs, hence the ability to provide custom modified dependencies that may not be available on every flavor of Linux. Solves the problem of different Linux flavors doing things differently. The Docker will run on any Linux flavor running Dockers.

Yes m$ also uses dockers on their servers. Since m$ is embracing open source, has joined The Linux Foundation, and included dockers support in their servers, they know that the desktop market is going to continue to dwindle, hence the change in their business plans. Which no longer centers around the winblows desktop. They will most probably eventually include docker support with windows, they had to with servers, due to the demand. But it will probably take time with windblows, as they probably do not want to allow anyone to run anything on windblows without their intervention, a good reason to get rid of m$ windblows, m$ is siphoning your personal information and data-basing it and selling it, no privacy at all, not to mention no control at all over what is installed or not installed.

Besides using dockers, AH could actually build a Linux OS around the game, that could be installed to any drive, including a usb, or sdcard. It could be setup on it's own drive, or dual booted from an existing drive. SSD's cost as little as $35 USD, small change to have a drive that is dedicated to AH only. Would reduce workload substantially by building the OS around the game, rather than attempting to build the game around numerous different OS's and OS versions.

Since AH uses so little ram, and most game systems have at least 8GB. The game it self could be run directly from ram, providing for better performance, eliminating the drive bottle neck. Common practice with Linux, in fact some flavors of Linux run entirely from ram. If I want a a specific Linux program to run at it's fastest, I load it in ram and run it directly from there, a common practice with Linux.

What can be done so that there is persistence and backup. is run a raid 1 with 2 physical drives, and 3rd drive in ram, nice way to have everything running from ram, but of course, you really need 64GB for that though, 32GB will do, if you are running a binary release, if compiling for instance with Gentoo, then 64GB is better, as you will need some ram for the compiling.

There are so many advantages to Linux, it is really surprising that a company like hitechcreations has tied it self to m$ so tightly. One can understand big corporate entities sticking with m$ through the long slow death. But there is no reason for hitecreations.

There are so many really dedicated talented intelligent people that contribute open source, it is really surprising that a small company like hitecreations is not taking advantage of such resources. All they would have to do, is go to the developers websites and start talking to the developers themselves to get some ideas. No need to spend money, that is the m$ business plan, with open source it only takes interaction and intelligence to take advantage of the resources.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2017, 01:40:21 PM »
SinOjos, you made some very good points in your post.

However (you guessed it, didn't you?), many if not most of the people playing AH aren't savvy enough to make their computer boot from another media than the internal hard disk. Many of them don't even know which flavour of Windows they're using. And I'm talking about guys who have been playing flying sims since the first one. They're also people who won't come to this forum asking for help. If they can't set the game up without a personal tutor they'd simply find another game.

I believe the dedicated talented intelligent people contributing open source wouldn't waste their time playing games like AH. They'd more likely invent a dozen different AI accounts for the game, make them fly for them and only read the logs to see how well they've done.

BTW you seem to know a lot about Linux. I might want to ask you for some advice...
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2017, 01:49:06 PM »
Windows 7 ,10 & XP encompass about 80% of the market share.

Linux 2.21%

https://www.netmarketshare.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=10&qpcustomd=0

HiTech

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2017, 01:50:31 PM »
SinOjos, you made some very good points in your post.

However (you guessed it, didn't you?), many if not most of the people playing AH aren't savvy enough to make their computer boot from another media than the internal hard disk. Many of them don't even know which flavour of Windows they're using. And I'm talking about guys who have been playing flying sims since the first one. They're also people who won't come to this forum asking for help. If they can't set the game up without a personal tutor they'd simply find another game.

I believe the dedicated talented intelligent people contributing open source wouldn't waste their time playing games like AH. They'd more likely invent a dozen different AI accounts for the game, make them fly for them and only read the logs to see how well they've done.

BTW you seem to know a lot about Linux. I might want to ask you for some advice...

Really?

Coogan
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear

Offline MADe

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2017, 05:47:43 PM »
ok ty
ASROCK X99 Taichi, INTEL i7 6850@4.5GHz, GIGABYTE GTX 1070G1, Kingston HyperX 3000MHz DDR4, OCZ 256GB RD400, Seasonic 750W PSU, SONY BRAVIA 48W600B, Windows 10 Pro /64

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2017, 12:55:20 AM »
Really?

Coogan

This statement is based on what I've read on this forum and compared with both the fellow players I've personally met (about 50 or so) and the people I daily meet in my job as a household PC tech. Of course they're all Finns and our computing skills may not be in par with the rest of the world.

If you made a poll in the MOTD window of the game (because there's many who don't read these forums at all), asking things like a) can you boot your computer using an external media, b) does your computer meet the minimum requirements for the game, c) have you ever heard that games have some hardware requirements, etc... The answers would be no, IDK, no... And I'm not talking about the next door demented granny, I'm talking about gaming oriented people from 15 to 60.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline bbosen

• Silver Member
      • AskMisterWizard.com
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2017, 04:59:17 PM »
I switched to 100% LINUX about 6 months ago. AH1 and AHII both work splendidly for me, but I got so discouraged struggling with AHIII that I gave up and just wrote my own "LINUX AIR COMBAT" sim. That has been a fantastic learning experience, and one of the things I've learned is just how amazing and powerful and advanced AHIII really is. I will NEVER catch up to it.

For now, if you're committed to Windows, stick with AHIII. Windows is just not for me....
 :salute

Offline pembquist

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2017, 11:20:50 AM »
I've got Mac Windows Linux and a Chromebook. I am not a "power user" at all. I do not want to know a bunch of obsoleting detail just to play a video game. Linux enthusiasts tend to overlook that most people do not want to learn a bunch of arcana in order to have their printer work or play a video game. I'm not saying that OS and Windows can't offer the same descent into hell of reading gibberish and misdirection on "support" forums, but rather that people who enjoy tinkering and learning about computers really don't seem to get that for most of us it is as interesting as learning a large multinational corporation's supply chain standards and organizational chart, or the US tax code. I don't say this to demean or criticize anyone's enthusiasm just to point out that most people don't share it. I first discovered this for myself as a youngster when I was completely into rock and alpine climbing, five minutes into what for me was a vivid description of a gripping tale the person I was speaking at said "I have no idea what your are talking about," and not in a way that suggested that they wanted an explanation. I paused to reflect that "40 feet out from the second piece, which was a manky screw, I've got one tool in but the ice is dinner plate...." etc., didn't really mean much to someone who didn't "get it."
Pies not kicks.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2017, 05:26:50 PM »
first time I tried linux I couldnt figure out why it wouldnt boot.  after 2 years I learned that it was because I had sli cards.  go figure.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2017, 06:58:42 PM »
(Skuzzy close your eyes)

Linux is fine for specific tasks, but it is not Windows. Most *nix users just don't get Windows. And for all the crap that is thrown at Windows I don't think there is a better desktop platform out there (not to mention enterprise platform).

Open Source bugs the crap outta me. Why? Because anything really useful in open source usually comes in two flavours: the free out of date unsupported version; and the paid for up to date patched supported version. I constantly run into people flouting great 'free' open source products but assuming they get all the bits you actually have to pay for.

And before ANYONE mentions malware numbers on Windows, that is simply because of the potential target base. *nix systems have as many bugs and flaws (if not more) that can be targeted  for malware. Take Apple for example, OS X and iOS are always top of the list in annual vulnerabilities and flaws.