Author Topic: AMD Ryzen CPU  (Read 21030 times)

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
AMD Ryzen CPU
« on: January 17, 2017, 11:25:54 AM »
Apparently AMD is coming out with a new CPU, to be released in late February or March.

It only uses 95W and matched the performance of an $1100 Intel i7-6900K in a demonstration at CES.    I'm following with great interest; anybody else watching and waiting?

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
Re: AMD Ryzen CPU
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2017, 03:26:51 PM »
Could be a game changer. Intel really hasn't had much competition in a long time.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2017, 03:34:25 PM »
There's no way I could spend $1100 (or even half of that) on a CPU, but I'm very interested to see the pricing and lineup.

What will they have in the $300 price point, and how will it compare to Intel at that price?

It is good to see competition.  It is also good to see AMD pay attention to power usage.  My first home built was an AMD and it also heated my basement in the winter...

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2017, 03:49:55 PM »
I've been following / reading about it..... interesting

TC
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 04:12:44 PM by TequilaChaser »
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2017, 04:33:09 PM »
The question is what was it doing to match the performance?
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2017, 04:36:11 PM »
I am more interested in the motherboard chipset.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Dobs

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2017, 12:39:52 PM »
Must be held in place by those Russian hookers that were on the news recently....if it is $1100

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117559
GTX 980TI
Intel I7-6700K @4GHZ
32GB RAM
Fly at 3840x 2160 resolution

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2017, 05:58:11 PM »
Must be held in place by those Russian hookers that were on the news recently....if it is $1100

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117559

I have one of those but it is the 6700k, not the $1100 6900k
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2017, 07:44:08 PM »
I want to know if at least 2 cores work in AH. That's all I ask.

Hopefully some of you will keep us updated.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline TequilaChaser

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2017, 05:51:19 AM »
I want to know if at least 2 cores work in AH. That's all I ask.

Hopefully some of you will keep us updated.

If you are referring to AMD CPU processors using 2 or more cores in Aces High, the answer is YES!

Hope this helps

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2017, 06:08:47 AM »
If you are referring to AMD CPU processors using 2 or more cores in Aces High, the answer is YES!

Hope this helps

TC

Out of professional curiosity, since when/which model has the answer been a firm YES? I haven't followed the Intel/AMD battle too much, the last time I remember reading about the core issue in AH was some years ago when Skuzzy said the then new models might work or then again not depending on the exact version.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline TequilaChaser

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2017, 06:35:42 AM »
Bizman, back in AH2, AMD dual core CPU processors mostly ran AH2 just using one core, with a select few dual core AMD processors using both cores

As time moved forward,  and quad core CPU processors began showing up more and more of AMD processors became capable of being able to use 2 cores, although there was still a few that were not able to

I would have to go back and research for dates/year , but it has been several years now that every AMD processor I installed on a MB (computer build) for people, that 2 cores were being used in AH....now I can not be certain that every single processor/MB combination will work this way on AMD builds, but it has been since Windows 7 SP 1 was released that I have seen or heard of an AMD dual core or more cores not being able to use 2 cores

Hope this helps....maybe Skuzzy has better information with out me having to go back and research...got to get ready for doctors appointment at 8:00am...

TC

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2017, 07:38:29 AM »
Thanks! So basically all higher end quad core AMD cpu's should use more than one core.

Back when SP1 was released? Didn't think it was such a long time ago! Time seems to fly faster every year...  :cheers:
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Pudgie

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2017, 09:21:55 AM »
I'm gonna be interested in the AMD Ryzen 8C\8T SR5 version CPU on the X370 chipset AM4 platform..................

:salute
Win 10 Home 64, AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus, GSkill FlareX 32Gb DDR4 3200 4x8Gb, XFX Radeon RX 6900X 16Gb, Samsung 950 Pro 512Gb NVMe PCI-E SSD (boot), Samsung 850 Pro 128Gb SATA SSD (pagefile), Creative SoundBlaster X7 DAC-AMP, Intel LAN, SeaSonic PRIME Gold 850W, all CLWC'd

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2017, 10:41:42 AM »
The problem with Aces High running multi-core AMD CPU's had to do with AMD not implementing a high resolution counter for each core, which we depend on.  We still have code in place to detect the design issue and not run multi-threaded on those CPU's.

As to when, or if, it was fixed, I have no idea.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com