Author Topic: B-17 Deathstars  (Read 3531 times)

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
Re: B-17 Deathstars
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2017, 05:55:03 PM »
999000 is the guy who flies b17s INTO a furball. De acks and drops town from 1000 feet. It's not a flight of 17s it's a space station. If you think large base ack is bad fly up 999s six, he will reeducate you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is a reason for this.  Being that low makes a proper top down attack much more dangerous and harder to recover energy for.  When he flies higher, he is not nearly as dangerous.
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2017, 08:46:04 PM »
But the deathstar missions were a blast. Shame it was in the time before video. Too funny.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2017, 09:16:09 PM »
But the deathstar missions were a blast. Shame it was in the time before video. Too funny.

Party goon trips to watch grudge 1v1s were also enjoyable.

- oldman

Offline Zacherof

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2017, 09:42:05 AM »
There is a reason for this.  Being that low makes a proper top down attack much more dangerous and harder to recover energy for.  When he flies higher, he is not nearly as dangerous.
That's when you need to pre plan and set your self up to hit him from the side, making for a smaller target profile and aim more important for critical damage. Aim for cockpit or rudder gents. The  egress in a direction to make a repeat attack of neccasary but be wary of his flight path as you do so as he is sneaky.

Or a head on which makes for a closure speed anywhere from 500-900 mph and a wide open target to kill the pilot. But the same can be done to you.

Also add these to your bomber killing toolbox.
In game name Xacherof
USN Sea Bee
**ELITE**
I am a meat popsicle

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2017, 11:32:15 AM »
That's when you need to pre plan and set your self up to hit him from the side, making for a smaller target profile and aim more important for critical damage. Aim for cockpit or rudder gents. The  egress in a direction to make a repeat attack of neccasary but be wary of his flight path as you do so as he is sneaky.

Or a head on which makes for a closure speed anywhere from 500-900 mph and a wide open target to kill the pilot. But the same can be done to you.

Also add these to your bomber killing toolbox.

He will just turn if you set up a beam attack, putting you in the rear quarter.  And that still doesn't address the risk of pancaking.  If you drop down at high speed, you can't really extend out underneath.  Your approach has to be absolutely perfect or you will auger or not have enough speed for a quick recovery for the next pass. 

That's why 999 and Finetime fly low like that.  The terrain and altitude will limit your approach and speed.  Many experienced bomber pilots dive to the deck when they are in trouble.  It routinely forces an approach from the rear quarter.

"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2017, 03:04:55 PM »
To me the b26s are much more of a threat imo. when at full speed closure take ages unless you dive on it or HO it, and better damage than the b17 imo, they also outturn a fw190a8 when they down to one plane, with or without bombs.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 03:10:02 PM by save »
My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera

Offline Becinhu

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2017, 06:18:31 PM »
To me the b26s are much more of a threat imo. when at full speed closure take ages unless you dive on it or HO it, and better damage than the b17 imo, they also outturn a fw190a8 when they down to one plane, with or without bombs.

There is also a "trick" with 26s. Everyone tries to attack from underneath, but you can make that attack just as dangerous with autoclimb. A 26 will stand on its tail for over 1000 ft. That guy that just started a zoom climb underneath you is now directly in your gunsights from the tail. If I have a single con chasing 26s I will slow down for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
412th Braunco Mustangs OG
412th FNVG FSO
80th FS "Headhunters" MA

Offline Ramesis

• Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2017, 01:14:57 PM »
They did not have the ability to fire all guns from 1 position.

HiTech
I wasn't advocating 1 position  firing all guns  :headscratch:
I was asking, deathstars were available in AW and so hard would
it be to program them into AH?

"Would you tell me, please,
 which way I ought to go from here?
 That depends a good deal on where
 you want to get to. Said the cat."
    Charles Lutwidge Dodgson a.k.a. Lewis Carroll

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2017, 01:50:11 PM »

You ask why AW could and we don't.

The huge difference is that in AH is the 1 gunner controls and fires all the guns at once.

HiTech

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2017, 03:21:31 PM »
AH already has Death stars all guns are manned......

AW lag in a death star was chronic.......if you ever went to a UK AW con and were able to watch the B17 pilot and its rear gunner operate side by side ....it was more then a second delay between the pilots manoeuvre and it happening on the gunners FE.
Ludere Vincere

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2017, 04:32:45 PM »

That was the choice, have one guy man ALL guns, or have a bunch of guys man one gun. It was decided that one guy manning all guns was the way to go. This way you dont NEED to beg for a bunch of guys to man your guns

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2017, 05:49:07 PM »
Death stars would become the next reason why you wouldn't find anyone to fight against. You would have too few guys flying bombers for all the guys wanting to be crew, so party drivers would emerge so guys could grief runways. The first time you NOE onto the end of a runway and vulched a just spawned player, it would be worth getting whacked. Just think about a small field with everything down but the fighter hanger, with all the fighter guys begging the bomber guys on station to take them on board after they auger so they can death star vulch the runway.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2017, 10:13:01 AM »
It looks to me like if you get hit, all the guns hit from all planes in the bomberset hit you with all that can shoot.
For a B17 set that is really devastating even 1.5k out.

The attacking fighter have to half that distance to have any hope of downing a bomber.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

You ask why AW could and we don't.

The huge difference is that in AH is the 1 gunner controls and fires all the guns at once.

HiTech
-Caldera

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2017, 10:15:25 AM »
It looks to me like if you get hit, all the guns hit from all planes in the bomberset hit you with all that can shoot.
For a B17 set that is really devastating even 1.5k out.

The attacking fighter have to half that distance to have any hope of downing a bomber.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

You are incorrect. The guns do not all shoot at the same point.

HiTech

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2017, 10:22:56 AM »
Thanks for your answer HT, do the bombers have longer effective range than the fighters ?

-Caldera