Author Topic: Maps: Game Maps and Historical Battle Maps  (Read 366 times)

Offline OldNitro

• Nickel Member
Maps: Game Maps and Historical Battle Maps
« on: January 29, 2017, 08:47:34 AM »
A section on the BBs where a player could find flat maps of the various Bases and Installations used in the game. Maps that show position and arrangement of facilities/targets.

Or could someone direct me to where I can find them?

Also, a section where people could show historical battlemaps would be nice.
Being a Military history buff, I kinda like to poor over maps now and then.
I bet this community could build a hella collection for reference.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 08:50:52 AM by OldNitro »

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
Re: Maps: Game Maps and Historical Battle Maps
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2017, 08:55:58 AM »
Hi OldNitro,

Do you know about the clipboard maps function in game?  Bring up the clipboard, right click in the map area and select "Clipboard Maps" near the bottom of the menu that pops up.   There are a dozen or so maps to pick from, and you can also add your own maps here.

These maps are stored in the Maps folder of the Aces High III game installation folder.  They are 512x512 bmp files.  8thJinx created these and did a great job on them; they show the layouts of each of the airfield and vehicle base types, towns, strategic targets, etc.  I did notice the Troop Training facility is missing but I think Jinx is working on it...

<S>

Here are a couple of examples of his maps:

« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 09:10:07 AM by oboe »

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2017, 09:00:48 AM »
Their are some here....

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,381097.0.html

There was another set that someone else started with screen shots. I made a group picture to place up on a second screen to look at when flying.

There is also a set you can view in game by right clicking the clipboard map and selecting clipboard maps.

Offline OldNitro

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2017, 09:04:21 AM »
Hi OldNitro,

Do you know about the clipboard maps function in game?  Bring up the clipboard, right click in the map area and select "Clipboard Maps" near the bottom of the menu that pops up.   

These maps are stored in the Maps folder of the Aces High III game installation folder.  They are 512x512 bmp files.  8thJinx created these and did a great job on them; they show the layouts of each of the airfield and vehicle bas types, towns, strategic targets, etc.  I did notice the Troop Training facility is missing but I think Jinx is working on it...

<S>

Thanks Oboe, no I didn't see that. I appreciate the heads up! Thanks Fugitive, nice looking! There is a huge amount of info to absorb in this game. Takes a little while to get up to speed!

I consider it pre/battle training  :salute
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 09:10:01 AM by OldNitro »

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2017, 09:13:47 AM »
Ask and you shall receive! Many of us old dogs are here to help. The more you ask, the more you'll find out about this game. Like you said, there is a lot to learn, but coming across these little gems makes it just that much more fun.

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2017, 09:20:41 AM »
Another bit of helpful game info you might appreciate is the hardness values of the targets listed on the maps - that is, the weight of bombs necessary to destroy each target.  I made a chart of these values and tried to do it in the same style as 8thJinx's maps so I could install it in the clipboard maps folder and look at it in game.

<S>

Offline OldNitro

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2017, 09:32:18 AM »
Thanks again, yes that is also critical info, that will help tons!
I'll take snaps and print them out, so I can keep them on a clipboard next to my chair.

I'm still kinda old school,  :lol

Offline BowHTR

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2017, 02:00:44 PM »

There was another set that someone else started with screen shots.

May have been ours. Ours can be downloaded from our website, http://www.blackwidowsgaming.com/files/file/2-bwg-field-maps/

We use an aerial view so you can see exactly what the target will look like. I have enabled guest downloads so no one will have to register with our site to download the maps.

Preview:

« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 02:07:53 PM by BowHTR »
AH Supporter Since Tour 35