Author Topic: Option for Icon Scaling  (Read 681 times)

Offline Dawger

• Silver Member
Re: Option for Icon Scaling
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2017, 04:40:48 PM »
« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 10:46:22 AM by Skuzzy »

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2017, 04:45:20 PM »
See Rule #4
« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 10:43:42 AM by Skuzzy »
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2017, 07:48:00 PM »
See Rule #4
« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 10:44:28 AM by Skuzzy »
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2017, 07:55:51 PM »
« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 10:44:44 AM by Skuzzy »
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear

Offline Owlblink

• Nickel Member
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2017, 08:29:18 PM »
 :salute
To clarify, I'm more of a fan of the icon size changing by distance, not with the reduction of range they start to appear in the MA; not because I see it reducing combat (on the contrary it forces you to get CLOSER to bogies) but that is already a function of the arena setting and not necessary to produce the desired effect.

There are ways of compromising with the size changes to address concerns.

:cheers:
Kommando Nowotny FSO
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Dawger

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2017, 08:46:28 PM »
« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 10:45:10 AM by Skuzzy »

Offline horble

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2017, 08:57:44 PM »
I don't see anything wrong with making an option to increase the icon size as the con gets closer. Might even come in handy when you're taking a quick peek behind you before taking your shot to see how much trouble you're in. Just make it an option, I like my tiny icons :)
Just some guy

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2017, 10:56:19 PM »
Will the changing of the icon size effect render? I don't need anymore micro stutters in my gameplay

See Rule #4
« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 10:47:02 AM by Skuzzy »
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2017, 09:07:33 AM »
+1  I like the idea

...as long as it's an OPTION for players to choose or use the default.
Who is John Galt?

Offline Dobs

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2017, 11:26:08 AM »
That was the ideal vinkman...make it an option.

Size of icons at max range = <select font size>
Size of icons at min range = <Select font size>
Guys can select what they can read at max distance and then the computer can do the scaling between.

Not sure what all the post deletions were about...need to get back to daily visits! LOL!
GTX 980TI
Intel I7-6700K @4GHZ
32GB RAM
Fly at 3840x 2160 resolution

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2017, 11:50:32 AM »
That was the ideal vinkman...make it an option.

Size of icons at max range = <select font size>
Size of icons at min range = <Select font size>
Guys can select what they can read at max distance and then the computer can do the scaling between.

Not sure what all the post deletions were about...need to get back to daily visits! LOL!

I picked up on that in the OP. Just wanted to re-state it because it seemed to have gotten lost in the discussion.  :police:
Who is John Galt?

Offline Dobs

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2017, 03:02:13 PM »
Just to be clear...I'm not a fan of reducing icon range at all. Post was an attempt to add some "depth perception" to existing icons.

I missed the poo flinging contest, but to be clear....its just an attempt to help make it easier to judge "relative distance" easier.

I don't see dots outside of icon range....downside of flying in 4k..so believe me when I say please don't decrease the icon range!
GTX 980TI
Intel I7-6700K @4GHZ
32GB RAM
Fly at 3840x 2160 resolution

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2017, 09:38:47 PM »
Just to be clear...I'm not a fan of reducing icon range at all. Post was an attempt to add some "depth perception" to existing icons.

I missed the poo flinging contest, but to be clear....its just an attempt to help make it easier to judge "relative distance" easier.

I don't see dots outside of icon range....downside of flying in 4k..so believe me when I say please don't decrease the icon range!
Someone went off because he thinks every suggestion is an attack to the game....not a bad idea but my questions still stands, could this possibly create stutters while the game renders the scaling when you close in and pull away from a con.
DFC Member
"Yikes"

Offline Dawger

• Silver Member
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2017, 10:10:23 AM »
Someone went off because he thinks every suggestion is an attack to the game....not a bad idea but my questions still stands, could this possibly create stutters while the game renders the scaling when you close in and pull away from a con.

I wouldn't think changing a text block would tax the GPU enough to cause a stutter.

One of the hardest things to get used to in AH3 is the lack of depth and distance cues. The constant size of the icon text makes everything very flat. Dobs suggestion to vary the text size according to distance would go a VERY long way in enhancing the perception of distance in the game.

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2017, 10:38:02 PM »
I wouldn't think changing a text block would tax the GPU enough to cause a stutter.

One of the hardest things to get used to in AH3 is the lack of depth and distance cues. The constant size of the icon text makes everything very flat. Dobs suggestion to vary the text size according to distance would go a VERY long way in enhancing the perception of distance in the game.
Oh no I agree don't get me wrong but I'm worried more of connection.....what if a plane is closing fast but it's not rendering it properly because our connections aren't great???

Imagine GT101(known lagger) with this implemented....I don't know maybe im being paranoid of it.
DFC Member
"Yikes"