Author Topic: Game Randomly and repeatedly loses TIR while flying  (Read 696 times)

Offline TheRapier

• Nickel Member
      • The Musketeers Squadron, My Little Pony
Game Randomly and repeatedly loses TIR while flying
« on: February 04, 2017, 12:30:32 AM »
Usually at the most inopportune time :).

For the last two updates, the game will just drop TIR suddenly anywhere between 5 minutes and 15 minutes of flight. This is a sudden increase in incidents making the game pretty unplayable.

It is possible to alt tab and see that TIR is still running just fine, the game just does not see it.

It is impossible to bring TIR back without quitting the game and restarting.

Easy solutions would be:
1. Make it so the game does not lose TIR.
2. Make a button in game that reacquires TIR in flight.

Thanks!
--)-Rapier--
CO Musketeers
Longest continuously operating MMO squadron
Serving your target needs since 1990
They thought it would be a disgrace to go forth in a group.  Each entered the forest at a point that he had chosen where there was no path and where it was darkest. La Queste de St G

Offline FESS67

• Silver Member
Re: Game Randomly and repeatedly loses TIR while flying
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2017, 01:12:00 AM »
I used to have this happen from time to time but not for a long time.  I assume you have all the latest drivers.  Also, are you plugged into the PC directly or via a powered USB?  I use a powered USB but whatever you use, try changing to the other method and test.

The good thing is you can alt tab out of the game, restart it and get put back into flight more often than not.

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2017, 02:13:20 AM »
I've had the problem with TIR losing track of the game for some time as I'd start tracking. The cure for me is to exit the game completely and restart AH. After that it'll run for hours without issue. Annoying to say the least!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline JimmyC

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2017, 03:39:12 AM »
Mine suddenly stopped t' other day and all..
CO 71 "Eagle" Squadron RAF
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy."

Offline TheRapier

• Nickel Member
      • The Musketeers Squadron, My Little Pony
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2017, 08:47:49 PM »
My guess is this is due to all the updates to VR recently.

Unfortunately Fess, as much as I would like it to, your solution has never worked for me. I've alt tabbed and massaged TIR and AH endlessly and it still won't work. What kills is the only method of resurrecting it is to leave the game entirely, restart TIR (to be ultra certain) and then restart the game. This makes it a fun ender.

It has become so bad that I've been forced to also program view keys as a back up to the TIR system crash. If this happens 30 seconds into your flight or worse when you hit alt, you can either waste the whole sortie and start again which wastes your leisure time, or try to make something work. Going backward suddenly 5 years to what you used to use makes TIR not worth the investment in the game.

This would be all solved if there was a easy way to tell the game to reacquire TIR. I have had it happen just once but can't seem to replicate what made it do so.

Thanks!
--)-Rapier--
CO Musketeers
Longest continuously operating MMO squadron
Serving your target needs since 1990
They thought it would be a disgrace to go forth in a group.  Each entered the forest at a point that he had chosen where there was no path and where it was darkest. La Queste de St G

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2017, 09:52:53 PM »
I cannot say for sure if my random sudden TR viewpoint changes are because of light from the game reflecting from my glasses or glitches. Off and on I get sudden view changes as snap direction changes to looking down between my legs or straight up or behind my back. then they clear and my view picks up where I'm looking. I have the transient light slider for TR to the max and this still happens.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline FESS67

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2017, 10:23:59 PM »
BUSTR  I would say 100% you have a light reflection issue.  I used to get the same when the sun hit a tin roof behind me.

Rapier.  Alt tab out, shut AH down..via task manager if you have to.  Restart AH, if you see both lights on your TIR camera you are good to go.  AH treats it like a disconnect and puts you back in flight.   Mountains and enemy planes are your only threat

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2017, 03:48:32 PM »
I moved this to Tech Support as there is not much we can do if a device stops responding.  It typically means there was a USB bus reset of the device, or a brownout of the USB bus where thousands of "USB change device" messages are hitting the game.

Most of the time I have found it to be power setting related, where the user has not disabled USB power controls.  Windows is pretty stupid in this regard as it does not know when a game is using the USB bus.

There are a lot of other reasons for it to happen, but none of them have to do with the game.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2017, 03:55:47 PM »
Let me take another swing at this.

Input devices, such as TIR are devices we are always waiting for.  We wait for input to happen then we react to it.  If there is no input, then we do not do anything.  As to why the device stops giving us input, that is the question. 

We cannot help but respond to input due to how the Windows message loop works.  So somewhere along the way, in this case, it seems Windows stops sending us anything from the device and that is what needs to be solved.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2017, 03:41:24 PM »
TrackIR requires AH3 to be off when it starts so I don't see how you can do anything to restart TrackIR with the AH3 running.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2017, 04:24:24 PM »
TrackIR requires AH3 to be off when it starts so I don't see how you can do anything to restart TrackIR with the AH3 running.

As you can see in the quote below, it is NOT TrackIR dropping out so much as AH losing the connection to it. Either Windows is dropping the connection, or the Game is. Now Skuzzy says the game is always waiting for input so this puts it in the windows problem area.

A simple fix may just be an issue with windows turning off the USB for TrackIR, make sure the USB settings are not set for any kind of powersaving, leave them always on and this may cure the issue. If not you'll have to figure out "why" windows is dropping the input to the game.

Its too bad AH couldn't have a button to "request" the input from TrackIR, so it could be refreshed.

Usually at the most inopportune time :).

For the last two updates, the game will just drop TIR suddenly anywhere between 5 minutes and 15 minutes of flight. This is a sudden increase in incidents making the game pretty unplayable.

It is possible to alt tab and see that TIR is still running just fine, the game just does not see it.

It is impossible to bring TIR back without quitting the game and restarting.

Easy solutions would be:
1. Make it so the game does not lose TIR.
2. Make a button in game that reacquires TIR in flight.

Thanks!

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2017, 04:38:12 PM »
I have the same issue with TrackIR that Rapier is experiencing and it only happens with Aces High.  I don't have this issue in BoS or RoF.  This problem, along with the stuttering frame rate issue I have, I've stopped using TrackIR and gone back to the mini-stick on my Pro Throttle.
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2017, 04:43:36 PM »
As you can see in the quote below, it is NOT TrackIR dropping out so much as AH losing the connection to it. Either Windows is dropping the connection, or the Game is. Now Skuzzy says the game is always waiting for input so this puts it in the windows problem area.

A simple fix may just be an issue with windows turning off the USB for TrackIR, make sure the USB settings are not set for any kind of powersaving, leave them always on and this may cure the issue. If not you'll have to figure out "why" windows is dropping the input to the game.

Its too bad AH couldn't have a button to "request" the input from TrackIR, so it could be refreshed.

Is AH losing TrackIR or is TrackIR losing AH?   Nobody knows.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2017, 04:54:15 PM »
Is AH losing TrackIR or is TrackIR losing AH?   Nobody knows.

Well if you read what he typed, he says right after the bolded one.....

"It is impossible to bring TIR back without quitting the game and restarting."

I take to mean he doesn't have to restart TrackIR, just AH and then it works again. Which seems to show that TrackIR is functioning properly. AK-AK says he has the same issue, but only with AH, and not other games. Again it seems to me that either windows is dropping the connection to AH or AH is losing it.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2017, 05:08:58 PM »
Well if you read what he typed, he says right after the bolded one.....

"It is impossible to bring TIR back without quitting the game and restarting."

I take to mean he doesn't have to restart TrackIR, just AH and then it works again. Which seems to show that TrackIR is functioning properly. AK-AK says he has the same issue, but only with AH, and not other games. Again it seems to me that either windows is dropping the connection to AH or AH is losing it.

That just restates what I said, that TrackIR requires Aces High to start second.

The problem is clear, the actual cause remains a mystery.