Author Topic: Problem: "Overcurren has been detected on your USB device "  (Read 603 times)

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
Problem: "Overcurren has been detected on your USB device "
« on: February 06, 2017, 03:49:27 PM »
This is the message I am getting now.  The message from the BIOS goes on to shut the system down in 15 seconds.  Can't get into Windows..

So, I was looking for something and tilted the tower a little to get a look thinking the something may have fallen between it and my desk.  Suddenly started to hear a very annoying buzz from the desktop speakers so I shutdown the computer. 

Hasn't booted back up since.  I have disconnected several of the USB devices trying to isolate the problem but no luck.  I haven't cracked open the tower yet, but will inspect that tonight.

Anyone have an idea?  I read somewhere online that a bent pin touching metal in the connector can cause this.
Commanding Officer, 56 Fighter Group
Retired USAF - 1988 - 2011

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Re: Problem: "Overcurren has been detected on your USB device "
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2017, 03:52:52 PM »
A short would cause an "over current" draw condition.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2017, 06:59:20 PM »
It's not hardware connected via USB, and it's not any female USB connector on the tower.

Next step, reseat USB connections on the MB.
Commanding Officer, 56 Fighter Group
Retired USAF - 1988 - 2011

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2017, 08:17:55 PM »
This is the message I am getting now.  The message from the BIOS goes on to shut the system down in 15 seconds.  Can't get into Windows..

So, I was looking for something and tilted the tower a little to get a look thinking the something may have fallen between it and my desk.  Suddenly started to hear a very annoying buzz from the desktop speakers so I shutdown the computer. 

Hasn't booted back up since.  I have disconnected several of the USB devices trying to isolate the problem but no luck.  I haven't cracked open the tower yet, but will inspect that tonight.

Anyone have an idea?  I read somewhere online that a bent pin touching metal in the connector can cause this.

A short would cause an "over current" draw condition.

ammo,

you described hearing a buzz/buzzing noise from your speakers.... Skuzzy suggesting a short could cause an "over current" draw condition

and now you say that it will not boot up , not even long enough to Press the DEL or F! keys ( or whichever key is required to enter the CMOS/BIOS settings

Sounds like your power supply is failing or the 5v portion of it has failed or shorted out, especially since you said you started hearing noise through the speakers and decided to shut it down, and now it will not boot up

hope this helps

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2017, 07:26:24 PM »
Buzz in your speakers can be from a cell phone to close to them. Or some kind of wireless device.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"