Author Topic: A positive sign  (Read 2107 times)

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
Re: A positive sign
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2017, 09:49:52 AM »
Can anyone name a few basic/common defensive and offensive maneuvers that I can research and practice before I come into the online AH world? Right now I fly a few offline sorties every morning and evening, practicing gunnery and landing.

Now that I can finally land without crashing and looking like a dork, (most times)!  :rofl

Ready to add a few new elements to my practice sessions. :joystick:
just jump right in!
landing skills are not required - you will not be making a lot of landings in the beggining...
getting better means a lot of deaths in the arena. you learn a lot more from fights you lose than from fights you win.

1. fly jabo missions. this will give you a sense of purpose, vs. flying into furballs and dying. Repeatedly. cooperation with other players will create friends.

2. get into a squadron. AH is a social game even more than a combat sim. you are not married to the squad, so this is not such a big decision. just go for it.

3. enable auto recording of flights. if you got into an interesting fight, save the file and observe it with the film viewer. answering "how did I lose that fight?" and "what should have I done" for actual fights will teach you more than any offline practice.

4. Above all - keep it fun! again, getting into a squadron completely changes this game, and much for the better!
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline Lazerr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2017, 09:54:31 AM »
Can anyone name a few basic/common defensive and offensive maneuvers that I can research and practice before I come into the online AH world? Right now I fly a few offline sorties every morning and evening, practicing gunnery and landing.

Now that I can finally land without crashing and looking like a dork, (most times)!  :rofl

Here is where having a free arena where.paying customers can interact with new guys that maybe arent playing in the MA.

You have any time this weekend we can meet in the DA?  I will let you shoot at me and explain evasives to you as I do them.

I am central time.. shoot out some poissible times that may work for you

Offline Becinhu

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2017, 10:43:18 AM »
Here is where having a free arena where.paying customers can interact with new guys that maybe arent playing in the MA.

You have any time this weekend we can meet in the DA?  I will let you shoot at me and explain evasives to you as I do them.

Lazer is a great stick to learn from. Just be forewarned at some point during the lesson he will ask you if you like to watch movies about gladiators.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
412th Braunco Mustangs OG
412th FNVG FSO
80th FS "Headhunters" MA

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2017, 11:57:25 AM »

Lazer is a great stick to learn from. Just be forewarned at some point during the lesson he will ask you if you like to watch movies about gladiators.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He will also have trouble finding his plane late in the evening.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline hgtonyvi

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2017, 01:14:21 PM »
He will also have trouble finding his plane late in the evening.
This is a fact.  :rofl
CO of the Hell Hounds. In Game: Rud3boi
*Ain't no grave can hold my body down.*

Top German Ace of Pantelleria 1943
            6./JG 27- 109G-2

Offline OldNitro

• Nickel Member
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2017, 07:27:49 PM »

I'm not quite there yet. Still waiting on some hardware, (Stick).
Then there is getting used to new stick/buttons routine.

I have been toss bombing GV's from 1k with an A20, my aim is improving!
I guess, a list of "Productive game skills" is what I'm looking for.

I think I'm more of a, "base taking war winner type", than a "furballer".
More objective oriented, than pilot vs pilot personal competition.

But when I decide to take my free 2 weeks, I will be looking for training!
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 07:55:45 PM by OldNitro »

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2017, 08:50:41 PM »

A barrel roll defense, a break turn, and a split S are most likely the top 3 defensive moves.

Barrel roll, used more often on a guy that is dropping in on you with a big speed difference (tho you can use it with a small speed difference tougher and different timing). The idea is you fly around the inside edge of a barrel, while the bad guy blows strait through.

Break turn, as a guy is closing you start a turn (more often than not nose down a bit to build speed, and to make them build MORE speed) As they get closer and closer you tighten your turn more and more. The tighter the turn the easier for them to black out trying to turn harder (to pull lead for a shot).

Split S, just a hard evasive, roll over and pull on the stick hard to get into a sharp dive, pick and angle to "egress" (run!) that is harder for the bad guy to take with out blacking out or burning a ton of E.

Im sure someone who is a bit better at this can explain it better, but its a start for you. Hope to see you in the air soon!

Offline 27th

• Copper Member
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2017, 11:12:33 PM »
what was his game id?  have struggled in recent years to find any new recruits from the homeland.

Your post have drove me nuts today because the person's game id from England who I was helping out, escapes me. When I remember or see him.. I will let you know. Maybe one of my squaddies (Slingn) will remember. He was the one who invited him or her to our vox channel.

:salute

27th

Offline JimmyC

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2017, 01:18:59 AM »
Don't let bruv have him..he' ll turn him Japanese..
I really think so
CO 71 "Eagle" Squadron RAF
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy."

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2017, 07:11:03 AM »
I am turning Japanese I really think so
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2017, 08:00:11 AM »

Welcome aboard. You'll find some training info here: http://trainers.hitechcreations.com/

Good luck! When you're ready for some 1 on 1 help, visit the Help & Training forum and request a session with a trainer.

Offline OldNitro

• Nickel Member
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2017, 08:23:45 AM »

A barrel roll defense, a break turn, and a split S are most likely the top 3 defensive moves.

Thanks Fugitive, for the info and explanations. I have some knowledge of aviation terms, so I "get it" quickly. I will work in a few repetitions on every sortie. How about the "Rope a dope" or the "High Yoyo"? Just a couple I have heard mentioned that sound rather interesting, lol.

Also, what is the best range to target for firing Rockets, (HVAR, and or 60lbers)? Anyone?
I am working on it, but getting inconsistent results.

Tracking says my new VKB stick will be here Monday, after a little mapping and familiarization I should be about ready enuf to go live.

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2017, 08:59:39 AM »

Before you get too far into it, learn the basics:  BFM, energy management, and how to apply them in more complex maneuvering.  Highly recommend Morfiend in the Training Corps.  He's very knowledgeable and is an excellent trainer.  A lot of players have favorite moves that work for them  and their systems but, have never learned the basics and then try to teach new players.  Trying to learn how to run before crawling can be very frustrating for someone new to the game.  When you start training with any particular player, ask them to explain and demonstrate use of the lift vector.  If they don't know what that is,  time to move on.  :salute
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 09:46:00 AM by Puma44 »

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2017, 12:49:27 PM »
Before you get too far into it, learn the basics:  BFM, energy management, and how to apply them in more complex maneuvering.  Highly recommend Morfiend in the Training Corps.  He's very knowledgeable and is an excellent trainer.  A lot of players have favorite moves that work for them  and their systems but, have never learned the basics and then try to teach new players.  Trying to learn how to run before crawling can be very frustrating for someone new to the game.  When you start training with any particular player, ask them to explain and demonstrate use of the lift vector.  If they don't know what that is,  time to move on.  :salute

Good advise there. You have to have a good foundation to build upon.

:salute
Sik
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2017, 01:35:32 PM »
It would be nice to see the old crowd from Europe come back. Also I saw a guy flying a Mossie the other night who could only be one guy. I wont name him cause he must want to stay anonymous but Ive seen only one guy fly a Mossie like that.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 01:37:51 PM by Rich46yo »
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"