Author Topic: FLIGHT TRIM  (Read 4954 times)

Offline dirtdart

• Silver Member
Re: FLIGHT TRIM
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2017, 10:13:03 AM »
Just remember to have a toggle handy. As you start fur balling, the auto trim begins to fight to keep the plane level. I had auto trim on off mapped, and up elevator trim mapped to the pinky trigger
If you are not GFC...you are wee!
Put on your boots boots boots...and parachutes..chutes...chutes.. .
Illigitimus non carborundum

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2017, 12:13:50 PM »
Wiley, what do you mean by "flaps-heavy aircraft"?  Just curious.  Haven't heard the terminology.   :salute

Not really an official term, just meant "aircraft you use the flaps a lot in when you turnfight".  Stuff like the F4U, 109s, P47, P51, etc.  Combat trim that ignores the elevator could possibly be quite a bit of help with them.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2017, 03:58:44 PM »
Not really an official term, just meant "aircraft you use the flaps a lot in when you turnfight".  Stuff like the F4U, 109s, P47, P51, etc.  Combat trim that ignores the elevator could possibly be quite a bit of help with them.

Wiley.

P38
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2017, 04:03:53 PM »
P38

That thing doesn't count because the only trim you ever need is elevator.

Wiley.

JG11

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2017, 04:28:01 PM »
I have elevator and aileron trim set to 2 separate axes on my throttle quadrant. I use them quite a lot. Not so much for minute tweaks during combat, but for general flying. Taking off I know the "feel" of where they should be for the average plane. For climbout I pitch down from that a bit and ease up on ailerons. For formation flying I like to tweak them to get hands-off (sometimes) formation flying. I have pedals but also a slider for rudder trim. It's just not as easy to get to without taking my hand off the throttle (it's on the base of the stick).

If I take ord and drop one, have a single bomb or single DT, or even if I manually drain one wing tank to compensate for torque then manually switch to fuse tanks, I can compensate for the weight. When I come in for landings I leave CT off and trim for nose-level while popping flaps so that I can come in nice and smooth. CT will often pitch you up or down depending on the plane when you pop full flaps.

Overall it's really really not needed, but I have the extra levers so I mapped them and like it.

Offline ccvi

• Gold Member
      • http://www.carl-eike-hofmeister.de/
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2017, 04:38:17 PM »
Separate toggle would help those already having mastered the game to fly perfectly clean more easily. Auto-trim is far too powerful as it is already. The reverse thing seems to make more sense: Tie combat trim (and any AP helping to adjust trim) to the stall limiter. This keeps it easy for noobs, and creates a bit more of a challenge for everyone else.

A selective switch will basically make the correct CT setting mandatory to gain the superhuman clean flying ability, with no reason to disable it ever. Adding that choice is going to effectively remove choice, because only a single setting will be the correct setting.

Online Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2017, 06:24:26 PM »

Wiley.

OK, understand.  Thanks!  Do you ever use the energy egg in conjunction with flaps? :salute

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2017, 11:01:49 PM »
OK, understand.  Thanks!  Do you ever use the energy egg in conjunction with flaps? :salute

Over the top mostly.  If I'm using flaps at the bottom it usually means I screwed up and got way too slow. ;)

Wiley.

JG11

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2017, 11:21:18 PM »
Do you ever use the energy egg in conjunction with flaps? :salute

It's a must in the P-38.
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Online Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2017, 11:25:27 PM »
Over the top mostly.  If I'm using flaps at the bottom it usually means I screwed up and got way too slow. ;)

Wiley.

Yeah, nothing like being at the bottom of the egg, out of airspeed and ideas  :D

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2017, 03:41:51 AM »
I was shocked that no one mentioned the heavy torque from the Typhoon.  Without and even sometimes with auto pilot the thing flies in circles (just really big circles).  No one else has that issue??

I am wondering what HiTech's tweak will mean for that aircraft as well.  :rock

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2017, 10:29:50 AM »
I was shocked that no one mentioned the heavy torque from the Typhoon.  Without and even sometimes with auto pilot the thing flies in circles (just really big circles).  No one else has that issue??

Reduce your climb rate.
Wag more, bark less.

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2017, 11:39:11 AM »

Been a long time since I have flown one but if I remember right it needs around 200 IAS to fly straight.

Wiley.

JG11

Offline AKQwik

• Copper Member
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2017, 03:55:34 PM »
Been a long time since I have flown one but if I remember right it needs around 200 IAS to fly straight.

Wiley.

You are correct.  A climb speed of 200 will keep it straight.

Offline dirtdart

• Silver Member
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2017, 08:12:14 PM »
Zacks typhoon has never flown straight.  :bolt:

Combat trim is a great too, to balance the plane...once you understand what it is doing.
If you are not GFC...you are wee!
Put on your boots boots boots...and parachutes..chutes...chutes.. .
Illigitimus non carborundum